• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

Aaaight.

After a final parade in Rome, there's nothing to fill the cycling hearts quite so much as it has been the past 3 weeks for another year. So this is the thread to get us through that year.

Eshnar, oh wise one, what have you got for us?

EDIT by Eshnar:
Rumoured route at 26 Oct. (official info bolded)

1. Bologna - S.Luca (8.2 km ITT)
2. Bologna - Fucecchio [Climb of Castra, over 5km at 7%, at ~20km to the finish]
3. Vinci - Orbetello [flat]
4. Orbetello - Frascati [might be hilly finish, but not hard]
5. Frascati - Sabaudia [flat]
6. Cassino - S.Giovanni Rotondo [Long stage, with a ~12 km at 5% climb before a Plateau finish]
7. Vasto - L'Aquila [medium mountain]
8. Tortoreto Lido - Pesaro [might be hilly finish, but not hard]
9. Riccione - S.Marino (34.7 km ITT)
rest
10 Ravenna - Modena
11 Carpi - Novi Ligure [flat]
12 Cuneo - Pinerolo [Madonna del Colletto - Montemale - Montoso - Pramartino]
13 Pinerolo - Colle del Nivolet (Lago Serrù) [Colle del Lys - Nivolet up to 2200m]
14 St.Vincent - Courmayeur (Skyway) [Verrayes - Verrogne - Les Combes - S.Carlo]
15 Ivrea - Como [Ghisallo? - Colma di Sormano - Civiglio - S.Fermo]
rest
16 Lovere - Ponte di Legno [Gavia - Mortirolo]
17 Comezzadura - Anterselva [Palade - Collalbo - Erbe - Furcia - MTF to Biathlon Stadium]
18 Dobbiaco - S. Maria di Sala [flat]
19 Treviso - S. Martino di Castrozza [S.Boldo, Rolle up to town]
20 Feltre - Passo Croce d'Aune [Cima Campo - Manghen - Rolle - MTF up to Le Laste?]
21 Verona - Verona (15 km ITT)

Giro 2019 Route Rumours

It's about time to start the thread, isn't it.

The start will probably be abroad again. The two main rumours point to Croatia (it was already a candidate for this year) and Marseille. In both cases, the peloton could just enter Italy through the border...
The only chance for an Italian start would be Matera, that in any case will have a stage finish which will probably be the southernmost stage of the edition.
The finish might be in Verona, maybe with a longish ITT (which might happen even not as a Giro finish).
In the center-south, L'Aquila should be a deal, as well as Foligno (yes, again) or Gualdo Tadino (yes, again). There will be 1-2 stages in Emilia and probably 1-2 in Liguria (in particular if the start is in Marseille). In Piemonte, Novi Ligure seems a lock, paired with a mountain stage, with Oropa and Fraiteve as main candidates. Como is also a lock, and the stage should go through Ghisallo, as you would expect. Mantova should also have a stage (maybe an ITT). In the east, Passo Vezzena is the only insistent rumour (which actually comes from last year, so take it with a grain of salt), together with a rumoured stage on the hills near Belluno.

Still to early for a draft, but that's what we have...

Re: Giro 2019 Route Rumours

Eshnar said:

The start will probably be abroad again. The two main rumours point to Croatia (it was already a candidate for this year) and Marseille. In both cases, the peloton could just enter Italy through the border...
The only chance for an Italian start would be Matera, that in any case will have a stage finish which will probably be the southernmost stage of the edition.
The finish might be in Verona, maybe with a longish ITT (which might happen even not as a Giro finish).
In the center-south, L'Aquila should be a deal, as well as Foligno (yes, again) or Gualdo Tadino (yes, again). There will be 1-2 stages in Emilia and probably 1-2 in Liguria (in particular if the start is in Marseille). In Piemonte, Novi Ligure seems a lock, paired with a mountain stage, with Oropa and Fraiteve as main candidates. Como is also a lock, and the stage should go through Ghisallo, as you would expect. Mantova should also have a stage (maybe an ITT). In the east, Passo Vezzena is the only insistent rumour (which actually comes from last year, so take it with a grain of salt), together with a rumoured stage on the hills near Belluno.

Still to early for a draft, but that's what we have...
Sorry mate, I kept up the tradition of me starting the thread prematurely. Anyway, I'm already excited.

Eshnar said:

Huh, I'd gotten the impression that the pattern was Even years: foreign. Uneven years: Italian.

RedheadDane said:
Eshnar said:

Huh, I'd gotten the impression that the pattern was Even years: foreign. Uneven years: Italian.
nah, the pattern was "You pay the most, you get the Giro start" :p

Eshnar said:
RedheadDane said:
Eshnar said:

nah, the pattern was "You pay the most, you get the Giro start" :p

I'm just certain I read somewhere that this was the pattern they were aiming for.
Though I guess Croatia does make more sense than the five most recent foreign starts...

Last year local media said that this summer they'll pave Col Basset to use in 2019.

I think there will be a lot of stages in NW Italy considering that Friuli is not interested for 2019 and Rumors for Veneto at the moment are all in the flat part (Verona, Rovigo, Treviso).
I'd expect also a Cuneo-Pinerolo for the 70th aniversary of Coppi first Giro/Tour double.

Here a list of rumors nor cited yet in this TD, coming from italian forum (chronological order):

*18/09/2017 - MTT Alassio-Santuario della Guardia (one of the three stages requested for Liguria)
https://www.mediagold.it/magazine/sport/ciclismo/il-giro-ditalia-del-2018-parte-da-israele-nel-2019-la-cronometro-ad-alassio

*09/11/2017 - Orbetello
https://www.ilgiunco.net/2017/11/09/ciclismo-orbetello-si-candida-ad-ospitare-il-giro-ditalia-2019/

*01/12/2017 - Versilia
http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/versilia/sport/2017/12/01/news/la-versilia-resta-ancora-orfana-del-giro-d-italia-1.16186941

*24/05/2018 - Borgo San Dalmazzo
https://www.cuneodice.it/sport/cuneo-e-valli/il-giro-2019-a-borgo-san-dalmazzo-ci-lavoreremo_15254.html

are there any Infos on whether Borgo San Dalmazzo only wants a stage finish or possibly only a stage start? Cause if the giro organizers fear Cuneo-Pinerolo is too long for the 21st century they could shorten the stage a bit by starting in Borgo San Dalmazzo.
Meanwhile I can only see a Liguria MTT happening if the race doesn't start in Marseille as in that case they would probably already go through Liguria in the first week. That said I would actually like that start as it's hard to mess up medium mountain stages in Liguria.
I heard about Lienz wanting the giro too. Maybbe a return of the Großglockner to the giro? I'd love that

For now, the only thing that points at a Cuneo-Pinerolo is just wishful thinking based on the anniversary. I wouldn't count on it at all.
In Liguria, Alassio will probably get a stage, MTT or not. The other finish should be Rapallo.
Borgo S.Dalmazzo could very well be a start for all we know. Could also just be a passage...

Re:

Nirvana said:
Last year local media said that this summer they'll pave Col Basset to use in 2019.
I think there will be a lot of stages in NW Italy considering that Friuli is not interested for 2019 and Rumors for Veneto at the moment are all in the flat part (Verona, Rovigo, Treviso).
I'd expect also a Cuneo-Pinerolo for the 70th aniversary of Coppi first Giro/Tour double.
Could Col Basset be combined with Finestre for a Basset-Finestre-Sestriere combo? Would be great if they did something like that.

Other than this, I don't hope for more mountain stages in northwest. I'm not a big fan of the stages in this part of Italy the last few years. And I'm neither a big fan of stages outside Italy and into France.

It's a about time for a proper 200 km, 5000 height meters Dolomite stage. And I'm a bit suprised of the lack of use of the tough climbs close to towns like Trento and Rovereto (Bondone, Fae/Bordala, Sommo, etc). Here it's definitely possible to create tough mountain stages, possibly with a downhill finish in one of the above-mentioned towns.

Re: Re:

OlavEH said:
Nirvana said:
Could Col Basset be combined with Finestre for a Basset-Finestre-Sestriere combo? Could be great if they did something like that.

Other than this, I don't hope for more mountain stages in northwest. I'm not a big fan of the stages in this part of Italy the last few years. And I'm neither a big fan of stages outside Italy and into France.

It's a about time for a proper 200 km, 5000 height meters Dolomite stage. And I'm a bit suprised of the lack of use of the tough climbs close to towns like Trento and Rovereto (Bondone, Fae/Bordala, Sommo, etc). Here it's definitely possible to create tough mountain stages, possibly with a downhill finish in one of the above-mentioned towns.
Does anyone know the exact profiles of both sides of the Basset?

And I fully agree about the Dolomites and the Trento region.

Steep. Really steep. It's a ski run in winter. Are they paving the Sestriere or Sauze side? And also it would be very hard for it to be combined with Sestriere by the side they normally take with Finestre, it would be Finestre-Basset-Sestriere via Oulx and Cesana (so this year's downhill)

A stage finish in rapallo would be my dream <3

The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.

Gigs_98 said:
The crucial question is what side of the Basset they want to pave. If they pave the sestriere side that means sestriere could be used as a downhill finish after the Basset was approached via a sterrato road. on the finestre descent there is a small flat section where you can turn right and start another gravel climb followed by a hilly high mountain gravel road which is constantly above 2000m. That road never could have been used because to get down there you would have to descend another gravel road, the road to the col de Basset. In other words, if they pave the Basset you could put that 2nd gravel climb after the finestre and descend to sestriere where the stage could finish.
I know that road.

It probably means I spend too much time making imaginary Giro routes that won't happen.

TRENDING THREADS