• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 12: Cesenatico - Cesenatico 204 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's not very nuanced. Riders are under contract, they cannot "just go home" if they want. De Gendt said that there were several riders coughing yesterday, and that the Tour was organized much better regarding rider safety.
They are never very specific about this though. Perhaps they felt much safer because the second wave had yet to pick up?
Riders can cough for a number of ailments. It's much colder now than during the Tour for instance.

Reactions: 46&twoWheels
A lot of judging here, but have those people read the actual interview with De Gendt? He said that he doesn't think the organizers are telling the whole truth, with which he was specifically referring to the statement that all of the 17 policemen found positive were not helping in the Giro, but in the Giro-E. He didn't say they're hiding positive cases.

Reactions: SafeBet
They are never very specific about this though. Perhaps they felt much safer because the second wave had yet to pick up?
Riders can cough for a number of ailments. It's much colder now than during the Tour for instance.

I checked what the 7 day moving average of new cases was in France on the second Wednesday of the Tour and it was higher than the 7 day moving average for Italy now even accounting for population (something like 7300 cases on average in France vs about 5500 in Italy).

Of course there is more to it than raw totals, but one can argue that the second wave had already started in France when the Tour was going on.

Reactions: SafeBet
A lot of judging here, but have those people read the actual interview with De Gendt? He said that he doesn't think the organizers are telling the whole truth, with which he was specifically referring to the statement that all of the 17 policemen found positive were not helping in the Giro, but in the Giro-E. He didn't say they're hiding positive cases.
Ah yes, only reading the headlines. The objectively most stupid thing one can do except when I do it

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
so, a guy "feels".. ...."suspects"........"has the impression"......"perceives"

I didn't read the article in dutch but:
Saying RCS doesn't have the Tour's resources is one thing.
Saying the RCS is hiding something is a completely different kind of statement/threat(accusation*).

You haven't read the article, and you're commenting about "suspecting", "having the impression" etc. OK.

We're all not in this Giro, and De Gendt, from what I've heard in other interviews, is far from the only one commenting on safety standards etc.

Edit: Sunweb source saying those 17 policemen were in the same hotel as the team. So again, all those laughing away suspicions of riders without having any inside knowledge - perhaps some humility is warranted?

Last edited:
You haven't read the article, and you're commenting about "suspecting", "having the impression" etc. OK.

We're all not in this Giro, and De Gendt, from what I've heard in other interviews, is far from the only one commenting on safety standards etc.

official statement:

Safety concerns are justified when supported by some substance, not "herd feelings", personal biased views etc... In any case, he can always stick to Ronde van Vlaanderen.

(Fuglsang has not been polite but he is at least objective lol)

TRENDING THREADS