• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 16: Udine › San Daniele del Friuli (229k)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn't really think much about the first climb of that stage when I first saw the profile but looking at it a bit closer, that climb could become really, really interesting. It basically starts with 8 kilometres at almost 9% when and after a rest day I wouldn't at all be surprised if a favorite struggles to get into the rhythm and gets caught behind in a split. Aside from that, I'm really hoping for gc action but I'm not sure whether to expect it. Fuglsang might try something but is he even strong enough to cause much damage? Then again in a 230 km stage if someone attacks on those gradients there has to be some damage, right?

In Denmark we have two different non-Eurosport channels showing each race. (or either race? You know, one channel showing the Giro a different one the Vuelta).

I've said it before, just move up here.

I'll marry Sarah The Dane then (might get her on the rebound after/if Jacob rejects her advances) for dual citizenship.

You had me at "two different non-Eurosport channels."

If that fails then I'll ask Toby if he'd like a husband.

• Love
Reactions: SafeBet
I’m always impressed by the number of pros Denmark produces. It has roughly the same population as Ireland. Neither country has high mountains, but Ireland generally has a better landscape for training purposes. Denmark has some very good historic pros, but none with the palmares or local fame of a Kelly or even a Stephen Roche. And yet nowadays they produce so many good riders. It’s just a conveyer belt, while in Ireland at any one time there is always precisely one (1) high quality talent waiting to go pro at any one time. Having cycling on tv all the time might partly explain it!
Chris Juul Jensen should count as Irish, tbf. He's the only current pro cyclist with a Dublin accent.

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet
Not bad actually, ended up 4th (Stage 14th of the 2018 Tour):

Only had to go up it once, though, not 3 times. Very different stage profiles.

tour-de-france-2018-stage-14-profile-n2-49a75aad16.jpg

Reactions: richwallone
I think it has been like that for quite a while, actually, but the Danish success is of course only helping.

I'm afraid our language is very, very irregular. It's a difficult discipline to point out the difficult parts of a language you were intelligent enough to learn when being a small kid. But I would imagine it being extremely difficult to always guessing correctly how a word should be pronounced given the spelling. We do have the same weird word other as German (although not as extreme with the verb at the end-thing).

Hm, okay... maybe it's harder than I thought... but of course I will watch cycling on tv all day and thereby learn how everything is pronounced.

Reactions: tobydawq
Chris Juul Jensen should count as Irish, tbf. He's the only current pro cyclist with a Dublin accent.

No he shouldn't!

---

Regarding the coverage in Danish; the non-Eurosport channel showing the Giro is still affiliated - somehow - with Eurosport, so it's the usual gang of Eurosport commentators doing the commentating. The channel that shows the Vuelta - which also shows the Tour and a bunch of other races - actually covered the Giro from 2012 (which, probably wasn't a coincidence) to 2016, but of course with Eurosport getting exclussive rigths to RCS races from 2017 that wasn't possible anymore. That channel also started showing the Vuelta - at least in the most recent run - in 2012, so not really that tied to the success of Fuglsang and Pedersen.

Reactions: BlueRoads
No he shouldn't!

---

Regarding the coverage in Danish; the non-Eurosport channel showing the Giro is still affiliated - somehow - with Eurosport, so it's the usual gang of Eurosport commentators doing the commentating. The channel that shows the Vuelta - which also shows the Tour and a bunch of other races - actually covered the Giro from 2012 (which, probably wasn't a coincidence) to 2016, but of course with Eurosport getting exclussive rigths to RCS races from 2017 that wasn't possible anymore. That channel also started showing the Vuelta - at least in the most recent run - in 2012, so not really that tied to the success of Fuglsang and Pedersen.

I remember TV2 already showed the Vuelta in 2010. And TV2 Zulu usually showed both non-TDF Grand Tours in the noughties.

TRENDING THREADS