• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 21: Cernusco sul Naviglio – Milano 15.7 km ITT

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes I agree, but if Roglic, Pogacer, Bernal and co all target the Tour again next year, the Giro will once again be the easier one to win.

There’s no reason to think Hindley can’t continue to improve after this breakthrough GT.

If I would have to predict a future GT winner I would always choose someone who is at least a very, very decent time trialer, better: among the best 15%. Hindley can still be very successful in the future, but I would not pick him for a GT win, because him not being the best time trialer does not seem to come so much from seating position or technique, but more from his body shape, so I'm not sure he can improve so much in that area. Not saying a GT win is never happening, but I would opt for no rather than yes.

Yes I agree, but if Roglic, Pogacer, Bernal and co all target the Tour again next year, the Giro will once again be the easier one to win.

There’s no reason to think Hindley can’t continue to improve after this breakthrough GT.
Unless that also means Yates, Dumoulin, Evenepoel, (with Almeida) and one or more of Thomas, Carapaz and Hart all ride the Giro.

Obviously he can improve, but there’s a big step-up level to get from the level he has been, to the consistent-GT contender level

Yep, perhaps we're entering a new era of domination by a few riders but we're not there yet.
I think part of it is there seems to be a bit of a generation gap behind the riders born in the early-mid 80s (Contador, Froome, Nibali) that has kind of allowed those guys to stay on winning Tours a bit later than you’d expect; Quintana is 30, and is the only multi-GT winner born after 1985, and now we’re starting to get GT winners born in or after 1995. Obviously, there will be more multi winners eventually, but it seems to be taking some time.

Reactions: SafeBet
If I would have to predict a future GT winner I would always choose someone who is at least a very, very decent time trialer, better: among the best 15%. Hindley can still be very successful in the future, but I would not pick him for a GT win, because him not being the best time trialer does not seem to come so much from seating position or technique, but more from his body shape, so I'm not sure he can improve so much in that area. Not saying a GT win is never happening, but I would opt for no rather than yes.
Unless that also means Yates, Dumoulin, Evenepoel, (with Almeida) and one or more of Thomas, Carapaz and Hart all ride the Giro.

Obviously he can improve, but there’s a big step-up level to get from the level he has been, to the consistent-GT contender level

I think people are misinterpreting my original post. I never said Hindley will win a GT, but there should be more to come from him in one-week races and GT’s, of course this could be his best ever chance.

He should target the Giro again next year as despite the level being higher than this year, it probably won’t be as high as the Tour.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Do we know for a fact that he can’t do that? I’m not aware that he’s ever even tried for GC at a GT before. The only race I know of where he genuinely went for it was Suisse last year, and he was only beaten on one mountain day by a red-hot, pre-TdF-win Bernal. I can’t help thinking if it was the 80s/90s, with 150-200kms of ITT per GT, he would’ve been pushed that way a lot earlier in his career.
There was this and this. So it appears that he had been trying. I remember reading some other articles that suggested the same.

Of course, stranger things have happened. And he is riding for a team that has transformed other folks rather dramatically.

Do we know for a fact that he can’t do that? I’m not aware that he’s ever even tried for GC at a GT before. The only race I know of where he genuinely went for it was Suisse last year, and he was only beaten on one mountain day by a red-hot, pre-TdF-win Bernal. I can’t help thinking if it was the 80s/90s, with 150-200kms of ITT per GT, he would’ve been pushed that way a lot earlier in his career.
He tried in the 2018 Giro. He was in the top ten prior to that Finestre stage.

Reactions: Leinster
I think part of it is there seems to be a bit of a generation gap behind the riders born in the early-mid 80s (Contador, Froome, Nibali) that has kind of allowed those guys to stay on winning Tours a bit later than you’d expect; Quintana is 30, and is the only multi-GT winner born after 1985, and now we’re starting to get GT winners born in or after 1995. Obviously, there will be more multi winners eventually, but it seems to be taking some time.

Perhaps the last three years in grand tours is reminiscent of the post Sampras, pre Nadal period in men's tennis. Pogacar could be Federer and Roglic could be Roddick.

TRENDING THREADS