• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, Stage 4: Catania – Villafranca Tirrena 140 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
G and Yates dropped today, Nibali tomorrow.

I hope so, as that means I won't have to see the words bag, cabinet, trophy and voodoo a hundred times a day the next month.

You would probably see voodoo even more often as it would be necessary for Nibs (once again) to use it.

As it stands right now, good old fashioned Italian pasta dinners is probably all he needs to win the Giro.

And we will all recall what a great three day race it was ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Based on what I saw yesterday, here are my predictions for today:

Kruijswijk to crash into either a ravine or the sea.
Fuglsang to mistakenly drink from Vlasov's bidon and spend the day spewing into his team car.
Kelderman to be thrown out the race by Sunweb for being a minute late to the team briefing.
Majka to follow Kruijswijk's wheel into the ravine/sea.
Almeida to be abducted by aliens.
Nibali to have a nice quiet day but denies he has the race in the bag, as Antonio is seen frantically stashing several voodoo dolls into the Nibali trophy cabinet.

Pozzovivo to have his bike stolen, thus forcing him to use O'Connor's spare one

Based on what I saw yesterday, here are my predictions for today:

Kruijswijk to crash into either a ravine or the sea.

Fuglsang to mistakenly drink from Vlasov's bidon and spend the day spewing into his team car.
Kelderman to be thrown out the race by Sunweb for being a minute late to the team briefing.
Majka to follow Kruijswijk's wheel into the ravine/sea.
Almeida to be abducted by aliens.
Nibali to have a nice quiet day but denies he has the race in the bag, as Antonio is seen frantically stashing several voodoo dolls into the Nibali trophy cabinet.
I mean, they'll have to navigate between Scylla and Charibdis during the transfer from Sicily to Calabria.

I don't like voodoo thing being overly attached to Nibali. Yes, it was funny in the beginning, but let's face it. Kruijswijk's crash in Giro 2016 is no voodoo, the guy tried to do something he wasn't comfortable with and he crashed, it was 100% his mistake. As much as you can break an opponent on a climb, you can do it on the descent too (just ask Zakarin). I don't exactly remember the Froome's crash in Tour 2014, but it was during one of the crucial stages in the bad weather, the one stage where you need to be alert all the time, ride at the front and be on the offensive. I do however agree that Contador's crash in the same Tour was a very big misfortune, but those kind of crashes became Contador's MO in his later Tours.

On the other side, Nibali himself had 3 voodoo moments in some of the crucial races of his career. He crashed on the wet road in Firenze 2013 WC, while on the offensive and going for gold, it wasn't given that he'd win it, but he managed to get 4th place injured in the end. The second crash was again on a decent, this time going for (almost certain) gold in Rio 2016 Olympics, in his probably once in a lifetime opportunity to became an Olympic champion. Those two crashes can be compared to the Kruijswijk and Froome crashes, both were his own fault. But the third was the bizarre one and the one I don't like voodoo being connected to him anymore. He was going exceptionally well in the Tour 2018, until a f* fan broke his vertebrae. By the looks of that Tour, I'm not so convinced Nibali wouldn't beat Geraint Thomas in a one v one fight in GT's 3rd week. The other two podium finishers were Froome and Dumoulin, both heavily tired after the brutal Giro.

That back injury also prevented him from being anywhere near competitive at the Worlds 2018 RR and probably even hindered his Giro 2019 campaign.

Last edited:
I don't like voodoo thing being overly attached to Nibali. Yes, it was funny in the beginning, but let's face it. Kruijswijk's crash in Giro 2016 is no voodoo, the guy tried to do something he wasn't comfortable with and he crashed, it was 100% his mistake. As much as you can break an opponent on a climb, you can do it on the descent too (just ask Zakarin). I don't exactly remember the Froome's crash in Tour 2014, but it was during one of the crucial stages in the bad weather, the one stage where you need to be alert all the time, ride at the front and be on the offensive. I do however agree that Contador's crash in the same Tour was a very big misfortune, but those kind of crashes became Contador's MO in his later Tours.

On the other side, Nibali himself had 3 voodoo moments in some of the crucial races of his career. He crashed on the wet road in Firenze 2013 WC, while on the offensive and going for gold, it wasn't given that he'd win it, but he managed to get 4th place injured in the end. The second crash was again on a decent, this time going for (almost certain) gold in Rio 2016 Olympics, in his probably once in a lifetime opportunity to became an Olympic champion. Those two crashes can be compared to the Kruijswijk and Froome crashes, both were his own fault. But the third was the bizarre one and the one I don't like voodoo being connected to him anymore. He was going exceptionally well in the Tour 2018, until a f* fan broke his vertebrae. But the looks of that Tour, I'm not so convinced Nibali wouldn't beat Geraint Thomas in a one v one fight. The other two podium finishers were Froome and Dumoulin, both heavily tired after the brutal Giro.
It's just a meme at this point that has no real bearing on whether Nibali has been lucky or not throughout his career.

It's just a meme at this point that has no real bearing on whether Nibali has been lucky or not throughout his career.

We could attempt to just confine it to the Giro. Look at all of Bradley's dramas in 2013. Made Dumoulin take a trophy size dump in 2017? Had Roglic ride slower on the flat than Carapaz in 2019?

Just because he didn't eventually win doesn't mean it wasn't used :cool:

You would probably see voodoo even more often as it would be necessary for Nibs (once again) to use it.

As it stands right now, good old fashioned Italian pasta dinners is probably all he needs to win the Giro.

And we will all recall what a great three day race it was ;)
Voodoo or no voodoo he will never get a better chance than this to add another trophy to the cabinet so late in his career

TRENDING THREADS