• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Race Thread - Enthusiastic Laymen Edition

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Giro in case neither Yates nor Bernal does?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
did he say anything substantial?

• if nothing happens Buchmann will be in his best shape at the start of the Giro
  • without the descent at the last stage at Itzulia he would have been able to follow Pogacar
  • he should be able to maintain his level from start to finish while others normally regress during three weeks
  • he will focus on week three
  • they worked on his TT and believe Buchmann is from the GC candidates one of the better ones

• if nothing happens Buchmann will be in his best shape at the start of the Giro
  • without the descent at the last stage at Itzulia he would have been able to follow Pogacar
  • he should be able to maintain his level from start to finish while others normally regress during three weeks
  • he will focus on week three
  • they worked on his TT and believe Buchmann is from the GC candidates one of the better ones

I do worry slightly for Buchmann with only Fabbro and Großschartner as his mountain domestiques (Aleotti here is probably too much of an unknown quantity). Neither has been super consistent or reliable across three weeks in a GT before, so I could quite easily see him getting isolated and having to deal with chasing down attacks solo in some of the third week.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I do worry slightly for Buchmann with only Fabbro and Großschartner as his mountain domestiques (Aleotti here is probably too much of an unknown quantity). Neither has been super consistent or reliable across three weeks in a GT before, so I could quite easily see him getting isolated and having to deal with chasing down attacks solo in some of the third week.

Fabbro is strong and Großschartner was 9th at last year Vuelta. But you are right, another mountain domestic would be good.

No Chaves in the start list.

If BE is serious about the bid to win the Giro, wouldn't it be wise to bring Chaves as a support for Simon?

Nah - Yates has enough support with Kangert, Nieve, Schultz etc - I'd prefer, Chaves to have a break, train in Colombia, and then do a program with Poland, Vuelta and the Italian Fall races - He could snare a stage at the Vuelta and always has good form after a GT.

One of the weakest GC fields I saw for a grand tour in a long time. I think Bahrain will have a guy on the podium. And Sivakov will probably win.
How is this worse than last year's Giro line-up, or the Vuelta line-up of two years ago? At least two of the biggest favorites already won a GT in the past. In the 2019 Vuelta the two biggest favorites hadn't won any GT.

One of the weakest GC fields I saw for a grand tour in a long time. I think Bahrain will have a guy on the podium. And Sivakov will probably win.
Egan Bernal (the guy who was going to win 5 or 6 tours) is there. Remco (actually the next Eddy Merckx) is there. Nibali (the best all-rounder) is there. This is the greatest field ever assembled for a grand tour.

How is this worse than last year's Giro line-up, or the Vuelta line-up of two years ago? At least two of the biggest favorites already won a GT in the past. In the 2019 Vuelta the two biggest favorites hadn't won any GT.

Last year's Vuelta was also weaker.

If one of the Slovenians went to the Giro instead I would say that the Giro has a stronger startlist than the Tour this year.

Egan Bernal (the guy who was going to win 5 or 6 tours) is there. Remco (actually the next Eddy Merckx) is there. Nibali (the best all-rounder) is there. This is the greatest field ever assembled for a grand tour.

In seriousness though, with Evenepoel, Sivakov and Vlasov there are at least three likely future GT winners (hopefully in good form), almost certainly future GT contenders, in the field, Nibali is a legend, Bernal already won the Tour, S.Yates won the Vuelta, several GT podium finishers.
I'm not a cycling historian, but surely this can't be the weakest field in recent memory.

Reactions: Poursuivant

TRENDING THREADS