• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

???

• Poll?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Bag?

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Rain?

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Button?

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Ban poll

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Delete OP

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Vin(cenz)o

Votes: 24 27.6%

• Total voters
Bernal: really cool, aggressive where necessary, calm where necessary, great
Bardet: disappointing
Carthy: very good, with very good team support
Buchmann: surprisingly good and obviously he doesn't like me to say he doesn't attack
Martinez: didn't crash out of the race :hearteyes:
Yates: played invisible man, worked well
Mauro Schmid: I already made a Mauri thread, I'm not going to make a Mauro one... but hey, in the end this boring break finished more interestingly than I thought
Caruso: steady
Evenepoel: I don't want to judge too much for now, for me this looked very much like a case of sterratophobie, but of course I liked to see Bernal take two minutes on him

But when did he race it?

2016-2018. i mean he certainly has improved since then, but i do not see him as a top 3/5 finisher. But he is also more than welcome to prove me wrong in the next years

Edit: just to add, i think the relative lack of experience is also an issue for Roglic riding the loose stuff (yes, yes, yes, he looked good on Glieres vs climbers and Pogacar after a 6km 11% climb, but that's a bit different)

Imagine being in the decisive break all day, survive 99% of the sterrato just to crash in the last meters of the last sector when you're clearly the best climber in the group. Rip Vanhouckes chance for a stage win this Giro.

Impressed by Schmid tho. Didnt expect him to win at all. And also guessed Covi a km before the finish.

I didn't see any MTB or CX racing out there. The technical nature of gravel racing is being completely overrated here.
When you're not confident you lose positions and get gapped, it happened many times today to Remco, especially on descents and turns.
So you spend a ton of energy to close mini gaps all the time.
Of course we're not talking about XCO or whatever, but gravel still requires excellent bike handling.

Edit: I don't mean that's the reason Remco lost time today, and certainly not the only reason. I don't even know if he will be a strong GT contender in the future, possibly yes, but who knows.

Imagine being in the decisive break all day, survive 99% of the sterrato just to crash in the last meters of the last sector when you're clearly the best climber in the group. Rip Vanhouckes chance for a stage win this Giro.

Impressed by Schmid tho. Didnt expect him to win at all. And also guessed Covi a km before the finish.
Yes, unlucky for Lotto - it all looked perfectly set up for them with Kluge there too. The way Schmid finished though I'm not certain Vanhoucke beats him anyway. At least he is showing some decent form now and there are more suitable stages to come

TRENDING THREADS