• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 16: Sacile - Cortina d'Ampezzo 212km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

??

• Total voters
The weather forecast for tomorrow is still terrible. Non stop heavy rains on the whole area.
That could indeed cause some major chaos and make the stage noteworthy.

It won't give us picturesque shots of the gorgeous Dolomites though.

Bardet should try a long-range move, hammering it down the descents. He's here for stage wins after all. So this is his day.

Otherwise maybe Ciccone tries to caught out Yates, Vlasov & Carthy!

That could indeed cause some major chaos and make the stage noteworthy.

It won't give us picturesque shots of the gorgeous Dolomites though.

Bardet should try a long-range move, hammering it down the descents. He's here for stage wins after all. So this is his day.

Otherwise maybe Ciccone tries to caught out Yates, Vlasov & Carthy!

Yes, absolutely atrocious weather with steady precipitation and temperatures of 6-7 degrees on cols. Unfortunately no views tomorrow but hopefully more drama!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Passo Pordoi has a memorial to Fausto Coppi at its summit.

E2FzmTxWUAYxO-_

How technical is the descent of the Giau? I think this will be the end of any sign of life from Remco. He's learned a tough lesson but will be back.

For the genuine GC fight again I wonder about the final descent as with all the mountains yet to come in this race not sure if Bernal or Yates would want to burn all their matches this soon? Bernal is the better descender and might try something or else follow a faster wheel that Yates cannot.

But the route of this stage is mouth watering. Can wait to see the pictures.

How technical is the descent of the Giau? I think this will be the end of any sign of life from Remco. He's learned a tough lesson but will be back.

For the genuine GC fight again I wonder about the final descent as with all the mountains yet to come in this race not sure if Bernal or Yates would want to burn all their matches this soon? Bernal is the better descender and might try something or else follow a faster wheel that Yates cannot.

I think Scarponi closed down a big gap on the Giau descent in 2012.

I heard there could be some issues passing the Giau. Plan B is finishing before the Giau.
One of the reason I hate about this race is the constant problems with the weather and routes. There is not much we can do. Hope we don't have any issues with the weather.

Last edited:

The first part of the descent is technical, you can gain time here.
Amador also closed a big gap on the descent in 2016.

For the breakaway I guess Bouchard and Vendrame, Carboni, Ravasi, 2 guys from Androni, 2 Movistar riders and half of UAE and Bora (Formolo and Dombrowski with a teammate and Fabbro + Großschartner with a teammate).
Problem for Androni Giocattoli is who to finish it off? Cepeda would be the obvious choice, but hasn't shown any sights of life this Giro d'Italia. Tesfazion didn't look too comfortable descending in the rain on Thursday. That leaves Sepulveda, who actually would have been the labor in that breakaway scenario, while the other two wouldn't be of much need for him. Pellaud needs to save himself for the former intergiro classification. Otherwise Savio risks leaving the race with empty hands.

So even if they manage to get Sepulveda in the break. Who to assist him?

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS