• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 16: Sacile - Cortina d'Ampezzo 212km

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

??

• Total voters
There have been rumours floating around that Vegni is going to retire at the end of the year, fingers crossed.
"An unknown Giro spokesman said"

Zomegnan.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Publiuszam
"An unknown Giro spokesman said"

A man who castrated this stage among other things

Some of us where actually around when he was running the Giro

After a riders' protest that provoked discussions with the Giro management of Angelo Zomegnan and Mauro Vegni, a decision was taken to skip the Passo delle Erbe and head straight to the final climb up Plan de Corones.

Sounds familiar, eh?

A man who castrated this stage among other things

Some of us where actually around when he was running the Giro

Sounds familiar, eh?
Hey, the memes came from when he went bananas in the last couple of years. He also presided over 2004's travesty of a route, of course. The two of them together would make a comedy double act, with Angelo adding mountain after mountain and then as he turns his back to get another mountain to add to the route, Mauro takes the mountain away and Angelo looks back and doesn't realise it's missing and adds another one in the same place, and the cycle continues until they run out of mountains.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
More like Nibali's Giro 2013. Seriously, nobody to play Froome and Contador here. Not saying that Landa is exactly Wiggins though.

I was thinking more of the perceived quality of a runaway GT winner compared with the competition and at this point in the race it's a bit exaggerated. Since Nibali's Tour only Froome once in 2016 was so dominant in a GT. There are a few important stages left in this Giro, it remains to be seen if Bernal will go on on the destruction mission.

And 'no good reason' will always be a 100% subjective opinion. Unless you do as KB suggests and set up an independent panel to decide on race altering decisions, these things will continue to happen.

Who's KB and isn't that very much the role of the EWP panel?

What's the point of the EWP if there's going to be another entity lulling around waiting to make these decisions? Independent from whom or what exactly? From cycling altogether or something?

Of course, events like today already call into question the purpose of the EWP meeting/panel - all quite pointless if riders can simply bully the race director into doing what they want.

Adding another "panel" when the current mechanism is already being superseded by ad-hoc decision-making ignored sounds like a joke about bureaucracy or the Soviet Union or something.

If I was a professional cyclist, I would always prefer to know ahead of time what the route will be. That is not always possible given some recent examples of volatile mountain weather, but deciding on the route is a dodgy concept to me. Uran and Quintana at the Giro being one example where this can lead to further sporting issues in my mind.

If you want to avoid any neutralizations and modifications during the race, then you might as well stop designing stages like today's - the possibility of extreme weather will almost always be there.

It's one thing to try to minimize the number of cancelations/modifications en route (once again, isn't that what the EWP is for?); it's entirely different to try to minimize it to the point stages are maimed whenever "there's a change". High elevation weather has extreme patterns and is highly unpredictable. Just physics.

Riders will always have a plausible excuse to not race. Hence why they can't be the ones making the decision.

Last edited:
Hey, the memes came from when he went bananas in the last couple of years. He also presided over 2004's travesty of a route, of course. The two of them together would make a comedy double act, with Angelo adding mountain after mountain and then as he turns his back to get another mountain to add to the route, Mauro takes the mountain away and Angelo looks back and doesn't realise it's missing and adds another one in the same place, and the cycle continues until they run out of mountains.
Vegni is fine as a route designer, but he's spineless and seems to have no authority when things go down.

Bernal is spectacular but I think we have to watch carefully at who is he dominating here. Almeida finishing with Ciccone and Carthy after being all day in the break is revealing about the level of competition. Then we have the eternal gregario Caruso, the debutante Vlasov, the usual "Giro" Yates and Romain Bardet. If Bernal keeps it up this could be Nibali's Tour 2014 differences with Caruso as Peraud and Ciccone as Pino.
Maybe Almeida is better than you think. I think so. JA is showing great improvement in the mountains and has learned from 2020.

If Bernal continues in this form his eventual win might look like Contador's win in the 2011 Giro. Scarponi was 2nd then and probably no stronger than who is behind Bernal in this edition.

I think we should give credit where due.

Any of you people criticising the shortening of this stage know anything at all about hypothermia and exhaustion hypothermia?

Just a day after 20 plus runners perished in the mountains as a result of freezing rain, I think maybe it was a good call.

If you've ever dealt with someone hypothermic, the notion of them flying down a mountainside on a bike is terrifying.
It's almost like they have cars following them with dry clothes they can put one. Should skiing also be cancelled - it is rather cold when they compete?

Any of you people criticising the shortening of this stage know anything at all about hypothermia and exhaustion hypothermia?

Just a day after 20 plus runners perished in the mountains as a result of freezing rain, I think maybe it was a good call.

If you've ever dealt with someone hypothermic, the notion of them flying down a mountainside on a bike is terrifying.
I am sure they could get a desk job if cycling is to dangerous for them

Reactions: Red Rick

It wasn't raining in the afternoon when they should've done the big climbs. It's also not like Mortirolo got canceled in 2019, when Carapaz was freezing on his bike.

These are professionals with professional teams and doctors. It isn't hard to dress the riders so they won't have to worry about hypothermia. Were 20 plus runners professionals monitored by professionally qualified staff and doctors? No they were amateurs without the level of support.

May 24, 2021
Visit site

Yes! Thank you....I agree

These are professionals with professional teams and doctors. It isn't hard to dress the riders so they won't have to worry about hypothermia. Were 20 plus runners professionals monitored by professionally qualified staff and doctors? No they were amateurs without the level of support.

Then it's clear that you don't know much about it. Someone who is hypothermic will likely not know and the team medics wouldn't know. Rain and wind (ie from movement) in temperatures just above freezing is a lethal combination.

TRENDING THREADS