• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Santena is just outside Torino? That would mean that it probably won't be many climbs on the way to Cogne? One or maximum two before the last climb to Cogne?

Castelmonte is a sanctucary in the hills just east of Cividale del Friuli? Will they be going into Slovenia on this stage?
Santena is rumoured to have a stage start, but since right now we know little of the Piedmont stage(s), it doesn't have to be stage 15.

We already know quite a lot of the Castelmonte stage, yes it will pass through Slovenia. It should look more or less like the one I posted
A possible route for stage 19, taken from Cicloweb.

file.php

The finish and the big Slovenian climb should be there, the rest is just guesswork.

GIRO 2022. PARTENZA DALL'UNGHERIA MA NON CON UNA CRONO, CHIUSURA A VERONA CONTRO IL TEMPO (tuttobiciweb.it)
according to this the three Hungarian stages have been redesigned. One of them will be an ITT but it won't be stage 1.
This might mean it should be a long(ish) ITT, especially since the article states that the Verona ITT will be around 20 km.
That early in the race a TTT makes more sense.
Even more so considering transfer logistics.
Bring back the old proper whine trial
Could well be if they reach this far.

Last edited:
it has happened once (Cav) during the past 15 years or so, hasn't it?! I think it's fine to give a sprinter a chance every now and then - and on Sardegna they stilled managed to mess up on day 1
Yeah, I was thinking about Kittel in Ireland in the 2014 Giro, but there was a TTT at the start and he never got the jersey.
I don't mind a sprinter getting the jersey early like Kittel in 2016, he had to earn it by riding a great opening ITT (5th) and winning the next 2 stages (him pulling out right after getting the jersey and before even riding a stage in Italy was BS, but that's another topic).

Are there any rumours yet? I've been waiting for Fauniera for years, south-western Alps are so underused by the Giro organizers. Combos near Italy/France boarder are not that easy... (Izoard looks like a rest here)

EUmIGzvXYAMeGOC.jpg

I live in Piemonte, very close to all these climbs. I climbed all of them multiple times, from all possible sides.
Trust me...this stage profile is absolutely nuts.

On a serious note, I do not see any possibility of a stage with the Fauniera in the next few years. I have been on the Fauniera a couple of times this summer...
  • The side of Demonte has sections with a very rough tarmac, and the descent in general is very dangerous. I do not think that Mauro Vegni would choose such a dangerous and difficult descent.
  • The side of Castelmagno is a bit better, but the quality of the tarmac is still way worse than what you find in France, for example.
  • The side of Ponte Marmora is just awful, it is absolutely impossible for a professional race to use that side as a descent, as in the stage profile above. It is the best side of the Fauniera in terms of landscape, panorama, and views...but the road is just way too narrow, full of cracks and potholes.
The same holds for the Sampeyre. Elva side officially clodes because of rocks falling down from the right side of the mountain. Stroppo's side needs to be fixed in many places because of poor tarmac...same thing for Sampeyre's side.

Lombarda and Agnello do not have such problems...but they force you to go into France, meaning that it is not always possible to plan a stage there.

However, the Granfondo Fausto Coppi has been canceled for 2022. I have no idea about the reason...but what if the organizers decided to invest the money on a stage of the Giro instead of the traditional Granfondo? I am purely speculating...but I would love that.

Fairly vague rumours so far, but the most certain ones according to Eshnar seems promising:
  • Early Etna MTF
  • Blockhaus MTF at the end of week 1.
  • Cogne MTF. That could be good if using Pila and Verrogne first.
  • Tirano finish. Suprised if this doesn't go via Mortirolo and Santa Cristina.
  • Brutal Friuli/Slovenian medium mountain stage.
And since Cogne comes just before and Tirano (via Mortirolo) just after the second rest day, it should be good chances for some action on these stages.

Stage 17 is mountain stage in Trentino. Could we finally get stage using some of the steep climbs around Garda, Rovereto, Trento?

Last mountain stage. Will this be a brutal Dolomite stage?

What happens between Blockhaus and Cogne? Hopefully there could be a good medium mountain stage on stage 11, 12 or 13?

Reactions: Sandisfan
However, the Granfondo Fausto Coppi has been canceled for 2022. I have no idea about the reason...but what if the organizers decided to invest the money on a stage of the Giro instead of the traditional Granfondo? I am purely speculating...but I would love that.
Most likely they are just in deep ****. It would make no sense to invest in a Giro stage and not race the Granfondo in that year. What would be the point?

I live in Piemonte, very close to all these climbs. I climbed all of them multiple times, from all possible sides.
Trust me...this stage profile is absolutely nuts.

On a serious note, I do not see any possibility of a stage with the Fauniera in the next few years. I have been on the Fauniera a couple of times this summer...
  • The side of Demonte has sections with a very rough tarmac, and the descent in general is very dangerous. I do not think that Mauro Vegni would choose such a dangerous and difficult descent.
  • The side of Castelmagno is a bit better, but the quality of the tarmac is still way worse than what you find in France, for example.
  • The side of Ponte Marmora is just awful, it is absolutely impossible for a professional race to use that side as a descent, as in the stage profile above. It is the best side of the Fauniera in terms of landscape, panorama, and views...but the road is just way too narrow, full of cracks and potholes.
The same holds for the Sampeyre. Elva side officially clodes because of rocks falling down from the right side of the mountain. Stroppo's side needs to be fixed in many places because of poor tarmac...same thing for Sampeyre's side.

Lombarda and Agnello do not have such problems...but they force you to go into France, meaning that it is not always possible to plan a stage there.

Just labels Fauniera a gravel section

The side of Ponte Marmora is just awful, it is absolutely impossible for a professional race to use that side as a descent, as in the stage profile above. It is the best side of the Fauniera in terms of landscape, panorama, and views...but the road is just way too narrow, full of cracks and potholes.
elev18.jpg

(yes, it's obviously impossible as long as the road conditions stay the way they are/continue to deteriorate, but there's no reason to assume it's permanently off limits in the way that something like Crostis or Puy-de-Dôme is)

On a more serious note, thanks for the update, first-hand information is always valuable.

elev18.jpg

(yes, it's obviously impossible as long as the road conditions stay the way they are/continue to deteriorate, but there's no reason to assume it's permanently off limits in the way that something like Crostis or Puy-de-Dôme is)

On a more serious note, thanks for the update, first-hand information is always valuable.

It is impossible simply because there is no money to fix the road. We are talking about millions of €.
I climbed the Fauniera from the Marmora side for the first time in 2010, then I quit with cycling for a long time. I started riding again few years later and climbed the Fauniera from Marmora again other 3/4 times. Apart from some new tarmac in the first 5-6 km of the climb, nothing has changed since 2010.

• Wow
It is impossible simply because there is no money to fix the road. We are talking about millions of €.
I climbed the Fauniera from the Marmora side for the first time in 2010, then I quit with cycling for a long time. I started riding again few years later and climbed the Fauniera from Marmora again other 3/4 times. Apart from some new tarmac in the first 5-6 km of the climb, nothing has changed since 2010.
Is there much needed besides repaving the road?

Allegedly Beppe Conti said that tonight

Is this the same Beppe Conti, who just fabricated fantasy stories about Ineos offering Pogacar tens of millions of Euros?

View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1451506330339000320

elev18.jpg

Pantani and Garzelli crashed hard on that descent. So Garzelli lost over five minutes to Simoni and had no chance to win that Giro anymore. That day, they eliminated 35 riders after failing to make the time limit. Petacchi in ciclamino also was thrown out. So only some 95 riders finished the Giro. :D

Is there much needed besides repaving the road?

You can check the road condition on Street View. The photos are from 2011 and I guess after ten winter seasons without any work, it got a lot worse.

As much as I'd love to see sampeyre/fauniera in the giro hard to disagree with this.
Having climbed/descended both sampeyre and fauniera in 2018 and spent some time in the area the roads are in pretty awful condition and the area seems less developed than other parts of Italian alps. I just don't know where the funds would come from to pave the roads. On the other hand the lack of infrastructure/poor roads and remoteness is probably one of the things that makes it quieter and such an amazing place to ride (better than the hordes of motorbikes in some parts of the dolomites/alps) so in that sense I'm not so disappointed it's going to stay as it is!

TRENDING THREADS