• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You can link that combination with multiple other climbs and have Passo Rolle from South or even Manghen right before Valles.
And then you also have the always underused Würzjoch/Passo delle Erbe (the actual Ladin name is Jú de Börz) with multiple steep sides that you can connect with other climbs and either have a great MTF or a downhill finish in Brixen/Bressanone (one of the nicest towns in Südtirol).
Agree. That Valles - San Pellegrino combo with a downhill finish in Moena is pretty nice. Much better than finishing in one of the villages along Sella Ronda.

It's a bit strange that Passo delle Erbe isn't used more. I've only seen used one time, in 2005, and remember it being one of the most scenic climbs I've ever seen. And it's also fairly centrally placed in the Dolomites. It could be uses in several different ways. That's why I find it strage it isn't used more frequently.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Agree. That Valles - San Pellegrino combo with a downhill finish in Moena is pretty nice. Much better than finishing in one of the villages along Sella Ronda.

It's a bit strange that Passo delle Erbe isn't used more. I've only seen used one time, in 2005, and remember it being one of the most scenic climbs I've ever seen. And it's also fairly centrally placed in the Dolomites. It could be uses in several different ways. That's why I find it strage it isn't used more frequently.
I love that climb, super stunning and less traffic than on the big names around Cortina or the Sella Ronda.
Some sites of the climb are really hard and the road is clearly wide enough for a race:
ErbeN.gif

Perfect as a MTF or as a downhill finish in Brixen/Bressanone (the descent starts with 3kms to go, you can have the Ronecker Alm right before Lüsen/Luson.
ErbeNE.gif

Also a great climb that you can have before a 30km long descent towards Brixen/Bressanone and the climb starts right after the Furcia descent.

Since 2002 there have only been a finish in one of those villages in 2016 and 2017 (which was with none of the passes of the Sella Ronda). I don't think the 2008 Fedaia MTF counts here.

So for 20 years the only proper example is the 2016 stage that finished in Corvara. No, I don't buy that a Moena finish is better than that. And certainly not nearly as good as this:

tQEDnCy.png

• Wow
Since 2002 there have only been a finish in one of those villages in 2016 and 2017 (which was with none of the passes of the Sella Ronda). I don't think the 2008 Fedaia MTF counts here.

So for 20 years the only proper example is the 2016 stage that finished in Corvara. No, I don't buy that a Moena finish is better than that. And certainly not nearly as good as this:

tQEDnCy.png
I dunno man.

Pordoi as Cima Coppi is gives me chills.

tQEDnCy.png
I'd prefer another climb at the start and a finish in Arabba after the awesome Pordoi descent that features 34 hairpins, but this one is still a great stage. If someone wants to go on Fedaia he can go on Fedaia. It's hard to mess up any combination of Fedaia + another climb shortly afterwards as the final climb, it's just too good.
The best run in into Fedaia is probably Valparola from la Villa followed by the Giau from Pocol, 2 good climbs and almost no flat before Fedaia.

Pordoi and Campolongo are both "fairly" easy. 6-7 % climbs. You would have 12 km, 6,5 %, 10 km descent and 4 km, 6-7 % to Campolongo, then a descent again. If someone attacked massively on Fedaia, it would probably have been a great stage, but if not, I'm not convinced. Then I would rather prefer the Valles-San Pellegrino combo. 4 km, almost 9 %, short descent, 6 km with almost 9 % (including 2,5 km of 11 %), then a descent to Moena.

Edit: I forgot about the Pordoi descent. Agree that a combo of Fedaia and Pordoi descent (or MTF) would be great. But they should rather end in Arabba than Corvara. And the premise for this part of discussion was a post I wrote last week that Giau and/or Fedaia should be used if you want to create a monster mountain stage with huge time gaps in the central Dolomites.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS