• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2023, Stage 6: Napoli – Napoli 162 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's very vanilla, just quite bland and he looks ugly in the bike. He always robs more interesting riders of victories and in the last 2 years he only won in boring ways (worlds and gent wevelgem were good) . And yeah I also don't like these hard men sprinters who can climb, it's annoying to me watching stages where trek or someone similar is drilling the pace so you know the electric sprinters won't get back and the break won't make it. Just makes races a slow wind to an inevitable finish. I don't have any animosity to him as a person but as a rider he is like unseasoned overcooked rice
So not a fan then ?

He's very vanilla, just quite bland and he looks ugly in the bike. He always robs more interesting riders of victories and in the last 2 years he only won in boring ways (worlds and gent wevelgem were good) . And yeah I also don't like these hard men sprinters who can climb, it's annoying to me watching stages where trek or someone similar is drilling the pace so you know the electric sprinters won't get back and the break won't make it. Just makes races a slow wind to an inevitable finish. I don't have any animosity to him as a person but as a rider he is like unseasoned overcooked rice
Yeah - vanilla ride in The Ronde this year

Reactions: StryderHells
On RAI De Marchi said in the last kms tried to keep some energies for the sprint..but he think also it was the good decision because was the only way to beat faster Clarke
I think he should have been more confident. At the end of a stage like that it's about strength more than speed. They were a bit unlucky. More often than not there would be at least one crash behind and then they would have been beyond reach

Reactions: Tour de Berghem

Yes, he's the second coming of Simon Gerrans...

• Haha
Reactions: StryderHells
@TourdeBerghem: Yes, it was up to Clarke to keep on riding. Even if he does have to do the leadout in the last km, he will win 9/10. His decision to play it 'smart' actually meant his chance of winning decreased *a lot*. So, actually quite dumb.

Clarke was never going to continue as he has ridden this way his whole career - You only have to look at the final of the Australian National Championship in 2023.

Good job by the organisation then :cool:

It was quite a slow circuit. Of course there were some sketchy sections but I think it's a bit annoying to always have to hear stuff like this, especially when it's hypotheticals.

When a race finishes in a big, historic city, it will likely be technical, and every finish can be dangerous in rain.

The piece of road furniture where G's chain came off should have been covered or signalled better but otherwise I don't think there were problems.

DeMarche has been on a good level all season, however he's fallen foul of the greedy riders who want to win nearly every stage in a stage race.

According to his interview him not taking turns in the last 900m was about winning. He knew that Clarke would beat him in a sprint and decided to gamble on Clarke blowing his energy to stay ahead of the sprinters.

Last edited:
He has no idea what he is talking about.
OK Toby on this one occasion I can concede that i know less about a Danish than 2 Danish people. So maybe Pederson is a bit of a charismatic maverick and I just haven't seen it yet. But as a rider he doesn't make me want to attack my local climbs and descents like Landa, Alaphilippe, Nibali, masnada, Sagan or people like that. And he was a pro for 8 years and had only 1 (dull) haircut. And after Yorkshie I know he won a lot , very good rider, but I can't remember any of those victory, its like he hits the front and my mind just blanks

Reactions: Salvarani
It was quite a slow circuit. Of course there were some sketchy sections but I think it's a bit annoying to always have to hear stuff like this, especially when it's hypotheticals.

When a race finishes in a big, historic city, it will likely be technical, and every finish can be dangerous in rain.

The piece of road furniture where G's chain came off should have been covered or signalled better but otherwise I don't think there were problems.
There also was this round "island" in the middle of the road a few hundreds of meters closer to the finish. I can't imagine somthing like that not getting a signalling guy if it were a race in Flanders or the Tour. It not raining is not an excuse to not have foreseen the possibility of it raining and causing carnage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyndbrook

TRENDING THREADS