• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024 Stage 2: San Francesco al Campo – Santuario di Oropa (Biella), 161.0 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking at this break there's almost like 20 teams who need to fire their DS
My proposal to head the UCI included a proposal to give negative racing infractions to DSes, and too many of them would see the DSes suspended and replaced by the official UCI neutral DS panel, which consisted of Jacky Durand, Johnny Hoogerland, Aleksandr Vinokourov and the ghost of Frank Vandenbroucke.

I'm a bit surprised to see Rubio being so close. These early hilly stages aren't his cup of tea normally are they @Escarabajo ? Einer is going to lose a huge amount of time in the TT of course. That could be precisely the gap he needs to be allowed to go on longe-range attacks in the final week. Where normally as a lightweight climber he should improve.

Quintana was surprisingly good as well. For Bardet the time loss was horrible, for Quintana who everyone expects to be fully of shape it's even calming given he likely improves as the race goes on. At least a stage win and / or the mountains jersey suddenly looks a realistic possibility again.

Arensman can lose some time in the first week. Keep the gap in check with the TT. Then he's allowed to go on long-range attacks once race win for Pogacar is decided, but the race for 2nd & 3rd is completely open and uncontrolled. Since UAE lets escapes go. It's a big gamble by the Netherlander, but it could actually still pay off. As long as Thomas isn't still in the fight for the podium. But then Arensman never was anything else than a workhorse to control the race eventually.

Today I expect Teddy to make a big move with 3k to go. Little personal mtt once he's gapped everyone. Then he kicks again for the final 1.5k. He could get 0.45 up to a minute including bonus seconds already.
He will lose massive times in the TT. But cannot afford to lose so much time in the initial mountains if he wants to target top 10, as him and the team have stated.

Reactions: staubsauger
He will lose massive times in the TT. But cannot afford to lose so much time in the initial mountains if he wants to target top 10, as him and the team have stated.
last year Rubio was 17 minutes behind after stage 11 and still almost made the Top 10 in the end. So I wouldn't write him off even if he loses time somewhere, but it's of course not a given that there'll be that many breakaway options again in the final week.

Reactions: Escarabajo