• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even though we might be a little annoyed about some of the profiles and startlist, at least the scenery alone always makes it worth watching, and look, at least we have this classic stage to look forward to!!;

stel.jpg
This is what kills me. I see something like this and I get so upset and start having bad thoughts. I just don't get it. What is it that they saw with the other option????

so is this intergiro checkpoints gonna give points for sprint classification and bonus seconds to the first 3? and there will be some separate point classification for the intergiro?

Incredible write up. Thank you.

I can see now why people are saying the route is disappointing from a racing perspective rather than TV pictures and also why this helps Pogacar's double attempt even more feasible. But there are still danger stages for him, and first he needs to avoid crashes. The weather may play a role.

Out of interest, @Devil's Elbow ,how long did this take to write up? I think I'd have to take a day off and do nothing else :)

Incredible write up. Thank you.

I can see now why people are saying the route is disappointing from a racing perspective rather than TV pictures and also why this helps Pogacar's double attempt even more feasible. But there are still danger stages for him, and first he needs to avoid crashes. The weather may play a role.

Out of interest, @Devil's Elbow ,how long did this take to write up? I think I'd have to take a day off and do nothing else :)

They actually made a route based on his writings. Like Moses.

Out of interest, @Devil's Elbow ,how long did this take to write up? I think I'd have to take a day off and do nothing else
Short answer: more than any sane person who's fitting it all in around a fulltime job would.

Long answer... The biggest thing that hampers me is that I'm a twenty-something who isn't from Italy, so almost all the historically-oriented stuff requires me looking it up (and then inevitably getting sidetracked reading up on related information I don't need for the posts). I will also make climb profiles myself when there aren't any available and I deem the climbs important enough (in this case thankfully only for two stages), for which I'll trawl geoportals of (in this case) Italian regions for topographic maps and/or digital elevation models and put the data in manually (because Google/OSM elevation data are really poor and export options from most geoportals are rather limited). Then add in the writing itself and finding usable images and it becomes pretty time-consuming. Don't have a good estimate for how much time I've spent on this in total, but the most time-intensive stages will take me an hour or more. And before anyone asks, I spend far less time per stage on normal OPs because I stick to the technical side of things there.

Short answer: more than any sane person who's fitting it all in around a fulltime job would.

Long answer... The biggest thing that hampers me is that I'm a twenty-something who isn't from Italy, so almost all the historically-oriented stuff requires me looking it up (and then inevitably getting sidetracked reading up on related information I don't need for the posts). I will also make climb profiles myself when there aren't any available and I deem the climbs important enough (in this case thankfully only for two stages), for which I'll trawl geoportals of (in this case) Italian regions for topographic maps and/or digital elevation models and put the data in manually (because Google/OSM elevation data are really poor and export options from most geoportals are rather limited). Then add in the writing itself and finding usable images and it becomes pretty time-consuming. Don't have a good estimate for how much time I've spent on this in total, but the most time-intensive stages will take me an hour or more. And before anyone asks, I spend far less time per stage on normal OPs because I stick to the technical side of things there.

you did a great job, I really enjoyed it and thanks for keeping the tradition going.

Really really happy someone made a thread. Such a great tradition that is being continued here.

Concerning the route, I agree that picking out the placement of the Stelvio as a main argument for criticism of the route is stupid. In fact I actually think the placement is really interesting. That stage is taylor made to have a hectic start, maybe a split on the descent leading to a really high pace on the first km's of the Stelvio. And all of that at high altitude coming off a rest day. That's such a perfect recipe for a gc rider to crack on the Stelvio, leading to a massive chase throughout the stage.

I'm not prediciting this will happen, these kind of scenarios are always less likely to play out than not. But to the extent that you can set up such a situation, this stage is doing it.

Holy cow.
I hereby submit a leave due to illness for my work and a break from the house remodeling project in the period 4-26. May.
Giro fever.
It will be a mortal sin for me to miss this version. Almost 75% of the target cities and most of the routes I have visited through the 00s via trips to northern Italy and visits deep into southern Italy, where my wife has somewhat distant relatives.

And the OP?
We're back to Hitch highs!

Here you can download the Garibaldi (Giro roadbook with all stage details): https://giroditalia.wetransfer.com/downloads/1f269e4a4ce903b329a03de2e27cff1e20240426060828/78a349

Can't find a rulebook with all regulations. Does anybody know where to find it?
I searched for it, but couldn't find anything. If I am informed correctly, bonus seconds will be awarded at the Intergiro, at the 2nd intermediate sprint and at the finish. For the first two it's just 3-2-1 seconds of course. The Intergiro sprint counts also for the maglia ciclamino obviously.