• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 1: Amsterdam ITT (8.4km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Winterfold said:
We cycling fans know that the Giro is a more beautiful and tough race than Le Tour...
I generally agree. It has more variety, is usually more scenic, and the course is often just as hard. However, the competition is a tiny bit lower in the Giro than the Tour, most years. Still, it pretty much is the true cycling fans favorite.

Now, if they would move the Vuelta back to April/May. :cool:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Has Brent Brookwalter always been a decent TT'er? I was not expecting that from him. Good on him and Richie Porte for their rides, they are both making a real go of it.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Has Brent Brookwalter always been a decent TT'er? I was not expecting that from him. Good on him and Richie Porte for their rides, they are both making a real go of it.

It's not always easy to see just how much effort some riders put into a TT until they finish. But Brookwalter was clearly on the ragged edge.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

I do not know about Brookwalter's TTing ability either.

But one would think Cadel will need all the strength his team can muster,
and "firing bullets" or "burning matches" unnecessarily by the mates might not be wise.

Scary if Brookwalter was holding back or saving himself for later....
What would have happened if he got the Pink Jersey?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
2nd and 3rd...great showing and no responsibility...perfect. I suppose could have got the win and then not taken responsibility. If wiggins is serious about only doing the giro for training, then Sky might well try to hold the jersey to the first mountains.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
2nd and 3rd...great showing and no responsibility...perfect. I suppose could have got the win and then not taken responsibility. If wiggins is serious about only doing the giro for training, then Sky might well try to hold the jersey to the first mountains.

Evans said he was "conservative" around corners.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Grrrr, we just missed out on the teams classement.

On the team's classement
1 Sky Professional Cycling Team 31:12:00
2 BMC Racing Team 0:00:06
3 Team Saxo Bank 0:00:09
4 Astana 0:00:16
5 Rabobank 0:00:19
6 Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:21
7 Garmin - Transitions 0:00:29
8 Cervelo TestTeam 0:00:35
9 Liquigas - Doimo 0:00:38

Interesting... Bit dissapointed in Garmin.

auscyclefan94 said:
Grrrr, we just missed out on the teams classement.

On the team's classement
1 Sky Professional Cycling Team 31:12:00
2 BMC Racing Team 0:00:06
3 Team Saxo Bank 0:00:09
4 Astana 0:00:16
5 Rabobank 0:00:19
6 Team HTC - Columbia 0:00:21
7 Garmin - Transitions 0:00:29
8 Cervelo TestTeam 0:00:35
9 Liquigas - Doimo 0:00:38

Interesting... Bit dissapointed in Garmin.

Being high up in the team classification will be good for the TTT. BMC could have really used Hincapie for that.

Greipel and Farrar will cause HTC and Garmin will move up in the team standings over the next two stages.

Garmin is saving their best riders for the ToC.

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans said he was "conservative" around corners.

A more significant Evans quote is this: "My form was pretty good in the Ardennes classics but I hope to get even better towards the end of the race. We'll see. This is the first test."

If he has timed his peak right then Sastre may not be any stronger than him in the mountains.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Being high up in the team classification will be good for the TTT. BMC could have really used Hincapie for that.

Greipel and Farrar will cause HTC and Garmin will move up in the team standings over the next two stages.

Garmin is saving their best riders for the ToC.

Then in that case wouldn't they leave CVV back in the States instead of racing the Giro?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think CVV is along for the ride. He has not shown anything this year. Tommy D. and the Z-Man seem to be in good form, but they both have hopes of winning ToC.

Millar is a solid rider and is at the Giro. Seems they divided kind of evenly to me, neither could really be described as a B team. With current form I doubt Zabriskie could do better than CVV in the giro, and I doubt CVV could do better than zabriskie in Cali.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
For aussies, the guy who is commentating for our giro highlights is terrible! His name is douglas dean. Just heard him and his grammar and diction makes no sense at all.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think CVV is along for the ride. He has not shown anything this year. Tommy D. and the Z-Man seem to be in good form, but they both have hopes of winning ToC.

I really doubt Danielson would do anything at the TOC. If he wasn't American, nobody would give a **** about him.

TRENDING THREADS