• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 10: Termoli-Teramo, 159km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but does anyone know what price Cavendish was with the bookies to win today's stage?

I lost a small fortune on him on Saturday and swerved having a bet today.

Have to say that come the middle of a GT and Cav is fairly untouchable.
To beat him, you need to get in early. Now, he's got his race legs on.

Oh and the other stuff, with Kristoff?
You dish it out, you must expect to take it back.
No one gets to call time, if an individual suddenly decides he doesn't like the way things get turned around.
They don't get to set the rules..............the mods do.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Really, ACF does riders a disfavor by hyping them like he does. Very few would bother picking on a neopro for doing a mediocre sprint in a grand tour stage if they weren't so annoyed by ACF's shenanigans.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Appolonio certainly sprints in a really low position. Makes you think he must be minimising his frontal profile well --> aerodynamic. He's sort of outclassed in this field, but he's doing a great job.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm watching the highlights to see if there is anything to this Fischer/Ventoso thing.

HTC did try to do their full team sprint train today but they got disrupted. Liquigas and Sky took over at 5km to go and HTC never hit the front again. The guys in the train had to burn themselves up one by one to keep Cav in the in the top 20. Eventually he elbowed his way on to Petacchi's wheel at 1500m and held it until 100 to go.

As for Messrs Fischer and Ventoso, I don't think there's much to it. Someone (maybe David Arroyo) punched right to the front inside the last half a kilometre with Ventoso on his wheel. Fischer followed Ventoso up, but Pettachi dropped off Hondo and tried to take the wheel from Fischer. They ended up side-by-side and not quite in the slipstream. Petacchi, being the wily old veteran, anticipated the moment when Ventoso's lead out would tire and launched his sprint to one side. Fischer waited for the lead-out to actually pull over, and then launched to the other side, but didn't get through before being blocked in by the slowing Movistar rider, who was doing the right thing by moving to the barrier on the opposite side of the road from the main sprint.

No harm, no foul. Fischer chose the right wheel but one part hesitation and one part bad luck meant he had no chance.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I've deleted all my posts which have "over-hyped" up AK as some people have found them to be offensive. Certainly didn't mean it that way and will make an effort to not be so over the top about it. I still don't change my contention that some people could be a little less nasty towards AK but some of that may be because I post about him a fair bit. I generally do say "The Great (rider x)" thing for a bit of fun and friendly banter but I'll stop now.

spalco said:
He's not insulting you, at worst he's insulting some guy nobody here has ever met (I guess).

I did actually say hello to him at the worlds of which he acknowledged me and smiled.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
Where did you see them from, Challambra Crescent/ finish or just the start.

I saw LLS at the start when he was riding towards the sign in. Pozzato AK was riding up to the start line through the people right in front of me.

Matt Keenan, Allan Peiper, Pat McQuiad (he looked quite angry and was on the phone a lot) and John Brumby (former Premier of Victoria) all walked right in front of me. Watching the worlds last year was great fun.