• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'italia Stage 12 - Castelfidardo → Ravenna 184km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Can I just take this opportunity to note that although I love cycling as a sport, the sight of fat commuter cyclists running lights and generally building up ill will towards cyclists in general by motorists really annoys me.

And my walk to work crosses over several of the new bike lanes, so I can very near run over at least once a week...

Bloody pedestrians wandering about in the bike lanes and acting surprised when a bike suddenly appears to be hurtling towards them. What are they thinking? "Ooh look, they've done this bit of tarmac in red and painted a bike on it. Community-based art perhaps?"

As for motorists who harbour ill-will towards cyclists, these are some of the most ignorant members of society who regularly come out with errant nonsense such as, "Cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the road because they don't pay road tax." or "Cyclists should ride within two feet of the curb." Motorised like this shouldn't be pandered to, they should have their licences removed. And possibly their reproductive organs too.

Cav for the win. By 15 yards or more.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
But then we have Ryo Hazuki changing the lyrics:

"Kumbaya, my Rujano, kumbaya.... kumbaya, my Rujano, kumbayaaaa"

:rolleyes:

How about Country Roads - The Rujano version

Almost heaven, Venezuela
Badass mountains, make most people shiver
Life is great there, everyone agrees
Riding in the mountains, in the summer breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place, I be-long
In Venezuela, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

I lose minutes, on silly stages
Riding flat roads, takes me ages
Third best climber, to ever walk this earth
In the Giro, you’ll witness my rebirth

To the place, I be-long

Savio calls me, in the mornin hours I hear him
Race radio reminds me of my home far a-way
And drivin down the road I get a feeling
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

To the place, I be-long

Captain_Cavman said:
Bloody pedestrians wandering about in the bike lanes and acting surprised when a bike suddenly appears to be hurtling towards them. What are they thinking? "Ooh look, they've done this bit of tarmac in red and painted a bike on it. Community-based art perhaps?"

As for motorists who harbour ill-will towards cyclists, these are some of the most ignorant members of society who regularly come out with errant nonsense such as, "Cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the road because they don't pay road tax." or "Cyclists should ride within two feet of the curb." Motorised like this shouldn't be pandered to, they should have their licences removed. And possibly their reproductive organs too.

Read the high-way code - pedestrians have right of way on duel use cycle paths.

And being on a bike doesn't give you the right to run traffic lights - sad sack amateurs doing crap like that is the reason drivers dislike cyclists, and thus contributes to real cyclists getting knocked off by drivers who aren't as careful as they might be.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:

I'm not a "real" cyclist like many of you here. My background is in other sports, but I have been a cycling fan since Lemond (well... more of a TDF fan for most of that time, only followed the rest of cycling for about 4-5 years).

But I've started getting into triathlons (mostly as a way of getting into shape) so I've begun experiencing the joys of sharing a road with motorists while on a bike.

I'm constantly amazed at how jerkish many people are when someone is on a bike. Not just in terms of driving... drivers are so self centered in general even when dealing with other cars that I dont' expect much better when I'm on a bike. But as you pass me going down a hill (at about 30-40 mph for me)... do you really think honking the horn is necessary? Does rolling down your window and yelling assanine comments accomplish anything?

And I live in one of the east-coast hubs of cycling in the Greenville/spartanburg area. I keep thinking that if it's this bad in an area with a bit of a cycling background, how bad is it elsewhere in the US?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

And being on a bike doesn't give you the right to run traffic lights - sad sack amateurs doing crap like that is the reason drivers dislike cyclists, and thus contributes to real cyclists getting knocked off by drivers who aren't as careful as they might be.

I don't know how it is in other places, but in my area cyclist can treat traffic lights as stop signs. Motorcycle riders can as well. Has to do with the sensors that trigger the light to change not recognizing objects the size of a bike/motorcycle.

I don't think many motorists know that law though.

kurtinsc said:
I don't know how it is in other places, but in my area cyclist can treat traffic lights as stop signs. Motorcycle riders can as well. Has to do with the sensors that trigger the light to change not recognizing objects the size of a bike/motorcycle.

I don't think many motorists know that law though.

Ok, well in central London the lights are on timers rather than sensors, given the roads are in constant use from all sides.

Commuter cyclists seem to ignore them as they please, then expect other rode users to be respectful when it suits them. As I mentioned before, the real losers from this are proper cyclists who follow the rules, but get treated with the general disdain of drivers sick of navigating around the whims of the former type of cylist. I have more than 1 relative with broken bones from cyclist meets car accidents, so i'm extremely sensitive to the issue, but frankly I reserve some blame for other cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road and iratate drivers with respect to cylists.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

A duel use cycle path! well I never, I like the sound of that. Is this what you boys get up to in the big smoke?

bike_joust1.jpg

Petacchi to give up close to the line and roll in 6th.

TRENDING THREADS