• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'italia Stage 12 - Castelfidardo → Ravenna 184km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
If they keep playing this "saving energy for the big mountains" game and then don't perform, they may find themselves off the back and out of the Giro before the final days. Won't be able to help AC then.

Remember Navarro from last year's Tour. Absolutely nowhere for three weeks, except for 2 stages where he absolutely made the difference for Alberto. Expect the same tomorrow.

UpTheRoad said:
If they keep playing this "saving energy for the big mountains" game and then don't perform, they may find themselves off the back and out of the Giro before the final days. Won't be able to help AC then.

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Alberto had enough help on the flat, why let his mountain slaves use energy that shouldn't be used yet?

What I find interesting is that no-one else does it. Astana in last year's tour and now Contador's boys again this year.

But it's not a new concept is it? Presumably part of the reason for time limits is to stop riders gaining a huge advantage on a stage by putting no effort into the previous one?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
What I find interesting is that no-one else does it. Astana in last year's tour and now Contador's boys again this year.

But it's not a new concept is it? Presumably part of the reason for time limits is to stop riders gaining a huge advantage on a stage by putting no effort into the previous one?

It's not new, but Contador's teams bring it to a whole new level :D

The reason why you don't see it a lot is because not everyone is that dedicated to their leader.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
It's not new, but Contador's teams bring it to a whole new level :D

The reason why you don't see it a lot is because not everyone is that dedicated to their leader.

Also cuz Contador's teams almost never had an sprinter in it... When you have Contador in your team you know that He is going FTW and getting the overall is much better that only get 1 stage in the sprint...

Midnightfright said:
Im repeating what others said appolino, does anyone know how is climbing is? Looks likes sky are really starting to develop some gd sprinters swift has been very impressive this season also.
He climbs decently for a sprinter, was up there in the tough sprints in this Giro. He also won a race by attacking on the final hill 1 km from the line last year, so he's quite strong on short hills. Struggles on the longer ones though.

A

Anonymous

Midnightfright said:
Im repeating what others said appolino, does anyone know how is climbing is? Looks likes sky are really starting to develop some gd sprinters swift has been very impressive this season also.

Not bad. He did ok in Andalucia, a podium behind Ventoso and Lobato and a couple of other top tens. He's the sort of rider that maybe in a few years could handle the poggio and be there or there abouts in MSR. Got a bit of Pettachi about him.

maltiv said:
He climbs decently for a sprinter, was up there in the tough sprints in this Giro. He also won a race by attacking on the final hill 1 km from the line last year, so he's quite strong on short hills. Struggles on the longer ones though.
that is true he has appeared even at the tougher sprints so hopefully your right it ways helps being able to hold on during more difficult stages

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish has a much better train than anyone else.

Zinoviev Letter said:
If you look at the overhead, Appollonio was actually moving forward relative to Cavendish at the end, which isn't something you often see. Normally when someone beats Cavendish or runs him close, it's because they got a jump on him or did something clever. It's rarely close because of raw speed.

Now admittedly, Cavendish was in the wind longer. But it's still a very promising sprint from Appollonio.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think sprint speeds are exaggerated. The peleton winds up to close to 60km/h before the sprinters start (read mrenshaw.com and Mark says, on the earlier stage where Petacchi beat Cav, he dropped Cav off at about 60km/h). Cav accelerates quite a bit from there.

Also consider that guys like Bobridge nearly average 60km/h (excluding the start) over 4km/h (i know that's the track, but a sprinter is still much faster-watch how fast Howard looks next to pursuiters in points races and madisons)...

Further, most good club sprinters can do 60km/h. I know they haven't raced hard for 200km/h beforehand, but a good pro is still much faster.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
So for those that speak Italian, and saw Cav's interview in Italian after his stage win, I'm curious, how good was it? Did he struggle or did he come across as being fluent?

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Finbouy said:
it was a decent enough translation, all be it with a Liverpool accent.

Liverpool accent? I would have thought it was a manx accent :p I guess it's fairly similar to a scouse accent, but listen to Wayne Rooney or Steven Gerrard to hear a real Liverpool accent.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So for those that speak Italian, and saw Cav's interview in Italian after his stage win, I'm curious, how good was it? Did he struggle or did he come across as being fluent?

I'm not a native Italian speaker but it's pretty good :)