• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'italia Stage 12 - Castelfidardo → Ravenna 184km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you look at the overhead, Appollonio was actually moving forward relative to Cavendish at the end, which isn't something you often see. Normally when someone beats Cavendish or runs him close, it's because they got a jump on him or did something clever. It's rarely close because of raw speed.

Now admittedly, Cavendish was in the wind longer. But it's still a very promising sprint from Appollonio.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
If you look at the overhead, Appollonio was actually moving forward relative to Cavendish at the end, which isn't something you often see. Normally when someone beats Cavendish or runs him close, it's because they got a jump on him or did something clever. It's rarely close because of raw speed.

Now admittedly, Cavendish was in the wind longer. But it's still a very promising sprint from Appollonio.

The thing I find with Cav is he has that extra 50m at top speed compared to the others. Pettachi, Appollonio all accelerate up or near him but Cav's speed was enough to win it comfortably.

Zinoviev Letter said:

I think he got an initial jump and moved from 2 bikes back to 1 bike back, then once Cav is up to speed he's just holding rank, and if anything Apol is starting to fall back in the last 20 yards.

Excellent performance from him, but I think he needs to show it more than once to be the next great thing.

HTC lead-out was actually a bit of a fail, saved by an inept androni crashing out and keeping the last km a bit slower than it would have been. They would have been swamped otherwise, with Bak having to go 2.5km, then Rasmussen having to do over a Km as 3rd man. Fortunately Rasmussen didn't have to drill it so much in the end, as there was no-one with any intention of taking up the leadout after that crash.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Excellent performance from him, but I think he needs to show it more than once to be the next great thing.

You are absolutely right. Being able to do it once doesn't mean that you will find the necessary level of consistency to be a top tier sprinter. But if you show it once it means that at the very least the capacity is there. He is physically capable of generating the speed.

Zinoviev Letter said:
The Androni guy hitting the barriers caused a couple of guys behind him to brake and swerve. They didn't hit him, but people then hit them.
I thought the same thing in hindsight after posting. I just had the feeling from looking at the Radio Shack rider (Hunter?) in the replay that the crash would have happened anyway, but because of the magnification, you couldn't see what was happening directly in front of him.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
Contador's mountain helpers rolled in after the main field again.

If they keep playing this "saving energy for the big mountains" game and then don't perform, they may find themselves off the back and out of the Giro before the final days. Won't be able to help AC then.

TRENDING THREADS