• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 2: Amsterdam-Utrecht (209km)

So tomorrow is a pancake flat sprinter's stage. I'll pick the Team Sky wave to continue and go with Henderson to win, and take the pink from Ol' Bradley.

giro2010_2profile_600.jpg

giro2010_02map_600.jpg

Greipel in pink tomorrow despite being a bit ill. I figure he can't be feeling too bad considering his ride today. Which other sprinters are close enough to take the jersey with a win tomorrow other than he and Henderson(who I don't think will do it).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think Greipel's ****s will hold him back. Farrar to win it, Henderson to take the Maglia Rosa with second, and... Pettachi third? Why not.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
I hope (for their sake) that noone thinks tomorrow is a 'windy' stage... Because they'll be in for a very nasty surprise come stage 3.

Do you have any idea of the wind at that point? Because as far as I know it won't be that harsh, or am I wrong? I myself do hope a nice waaier-stage (don't know the english word for such a type of riding, if any of the Dutch or Flemish folks on here can help me on that?) I always enjoy these type of stages to watch

BTW tomorrow looks like a win for Greipel

Barrus said:
Do you have any idea of the wind at that point? Because as far as I know it won't be that harsh, or am I wrong? I myself do hope a nice waaier-stage (don't know the english word for such a type of riding, if any of the Dutch or Flemish folks on here can help me on that?) I always enjoy these type of stages to watch

Echelons, in English.

Barrus said:

Wind today has been pretty mild, but Zeeland always has a brisk wind at the least.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Greipel to win, with hopefully Petacchi and either Modolo or Bonnet to round out the podium.

And not to be a pedant, but isn't this technically the first stage as the prologue outcome has no bearing on the final classification?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Greipel to win, with hopefully Petacchi and either Modolo or Bonnet to round out the podium.

And not to be a pedant, but isn't this technically the first stage as the prologue outcome has no bearing on the final classification?

It was more than 8 km, which means that it counts as a TT and as a full stage. Time differences of prologues almost always remain in place

The youngest, thank you, would never have come on that word for it

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Preview of the climbs

Forget about the Dolomiti and the Apennines. The riders will have to tackle the Hill Ridge of Utrecht first.

The first climb, listed as the Zeisterweg climb, at 75 km (KoM points at the top)
Pyramide_Austerlitz.png

(This climb is normally known as the Pyramid of Austerlitz, the pyramid was constructed by bored Napoleonic soldiers.)

The second climb at 90 km
Ruiterberg-zuid.png

The Amerongse Berg at 100 km (KoM points at the top)
Amerongse_berg-zuid.png

The Grebbeberg at 120 km
Grebbeberg.png

Sadly none of the climbs will make the live broadcast, so you won't see the suffering on the faces of the riders.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ah, finally a mountain I know every inch of. The Grebbeberg close to Rhenen. It's a beast and I cursed every time I had it on my way :D

Yes, "berg" translates as "mountain". 50 yards above sea level. And proud of it.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hum, perhaps some of the sprinters won't make it over the mountains then :p

I think we'll see a duthc guy on the attack tomorrow, I won't be surprised if the Rabobank wants to at least leave the Netherlands with the KOM jersey

I think it will be Sky in pink after tomorrow as well. The only real threat is Greipel but even if Greipel wins Henderson can take pink by coming 2nd. If anyone else wins then either Wiggins stays in pink or Henderson takes it by being 2nd or third.

After that it's anyones guess.

This of course is unless any of the top sprinters go for intermediate sprints.

trompe le monde said:

And even if it had been a prologue, it would have had its effect on the final classification.

Under the UCI rules:

section 2.6.006

3. it counts towards the individual general classification;

Susan

A

Anonymous

Griepel to win and take the pink Jersey, Henderson to finish top 4 and take the points jersey.

TRENDING THREADS