• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia stage 20, Stage 20: Alba – Sestriere 190 km

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-20-2.jpg

So I figured this wasn't up yet cause there was no @Eshnar post to plagiarize to#gethype for this stage.

So first, lets start with 2 minutes of silence for what could have been. What should have been. Colle d'Agnello will forever remain in The Bag.

Stage 20: Alba – Sestriere 198 km
Saturday, October 24th, 10:25 CEST

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-20.jpg

PLAN_852x852_2020_TAPPA-20.jpg

Technical Overview:
When cycling fans all over the world fantasize about mountain stages in the Alps, sooner or later they come up with this stage. I have seen it in almost every cycling forum out there, so much in fact that it’s hard to believe this route has never actually been raced before. But it’s finally time. From the town of Alba to the mythical Sestriere, here are the last four climbs of the 2020 Giro d’Italia.
The stage starts rather gentle, at the foot of the Langhe hills, and heads west on flat and straight roads for about 50 km, before entering the long Varaita valley. Here the road starts to rise up gradually, and the riders will find the first intermediate sprint of the day, in Brossasco. At km 74, the peloton will reach the town of Sampeyre, famous to cycling fans for two very good reasons: one is the eponymous climb that heads south, whereas the other is the climb the riders are actually going to face today, the mythical Colle dell’Agnello (GPM1, 21.3 km at 6.8%). This never-ending climb is basically two very different climbs in one: first a long drag of 22.5 km through the valley, with some sporadic serious ramps, like the one after Casteldelfino, where the official climb begins; then, after the town of Chianale, the second part starts, with its 9 km at 10%, from 1840m to 2744m above sea level, with only one short respite of 500m at 4 km to the top. Always relatively far from the stage finish, this climb has seen significant action every single time it featured in the Giro (which are not many, admittedly… only four). This being 2020 however, let’s not expect too much.
The top of the Agnello also marks the border between Italy and France, and the peloton will leave Italy for the only time of this year’s route, and for a very good reason. In fact, after a long and rather tricky descent (especially the upper part), the riders will only find about 3 km of flat before the road goes up again. If there ever was a non-Italian climb to have a special place in the history of the Giro, it would be this one: the Col d’Izoard (GPM1, 14.2 km at 7.1%), rigorously from the southern side (the one of the iconic Casse Deserte), has seen some of the most memorable moments of this race. Who knows, it might see the most memorable moment of this edition too, as this climb is by far the best place to attack today. The top is at 54 km to go. Many, but not too many.
The descent of Izoard is very technical at first and then eases off down the valley, not unlike the descent of Agnello. At the bottom the peloton will traverse the town of Briançon, climbing a short uphill wall to reach the old town where the second and last intermediate sprint is situated. After that, the route will head back to Italy through the third and easiest climb of the day, the Montgenèvre (GPM2, 8.4 km at 6%). This climb starts very gently, with 3 km at around 4% and then a false flat of other 3 km. Its last 7 km however have a very respectable average of 6.4%. At the top there are only 21 km to go. The descent is fairly easy and almost immediately crosses the border back to Italy.
At 11.5 km to go the peloton will reach Cesana Torinese, where the descent ends and the final climb of the day starts, and this is another mythical one. Sestriere (GPM1, 11.4 km at 5.9%) is one of the most classic stage finishes for both Giro and Tour. From this side it is an 11 km climb at around 6%, so nothing special but not a false flat either. If the GC guys haven’t attacked already, this should be more than enough to offer a last chance to gain a few seconds. The climb is hardest at the very beginning and at the very end, so any serious attack left should come as early as possible. Once they reach the town of Sestriere, the climbing of this edition is all but over. The GC battle however might not be done and dusted yet.

UKM_1280X852_TAPPA-20.jpg

The Climbs:
Colle dell’Agnello: GPM1, 21.3 km at 6.8%

A crazy hard climb, first a long drag in the valley and then a Passo Giau worth of climbing at higher altitude than the original. Those 10.5 km at 9.3% always do a lot of damage. Last time they raced here this climb (and its descent) was decisive…
1JIZayv.jpeg

Col d’Izoard: GPM1, 14.2 km at 7.1%
As I mentioned, the most iconic non-Italian climb of the Giro history. Mostly because its presence in the Cuneo – Pinerolo 1949, but not only that. It’s missing in the Giro since 2007, when the stage finished in Briançon. Its second half is very consistently at around 9%, with only a very short descending section at 2 km to go. This year, its lunar landscape might see the key moment of the whole edition.
z5g5XbA.jpg

Montgenèvre: GPM2, 8.4 km at 6%
A climb that will bring everyone back to Italy in a very different way than how they entered France: on easy slopes and wide roads.
eAdROdq.jpeg

Sestriere: GPM1, 11.4 km at 5.9%
Giro or Tour, the race often has been decided here. It’s hard to find a climb more famous than this one in cycling, especially compared to its actual numbers, which are mediocre at best. It has been theater to some of the greatest feats of this sport: Cuneo – Pinerolo 1949, S.Gervais – Sestriere 1992… even one of the craziest ITTs ever, the Pinerolo – Sestriere 1993. The last time the Giro climbed this side it was 2009, when Sestriere was actually Cima Coppi of an unusually low altitude edition.
xn5Jksn.jpg

What to expect:
As always on the last mountain stage of a Giro, it depends a lot on the GC situation. The Agnello should force a selection by merely existing, and if a pretender has the legs on Izoard he will have to try. If nothing happens there, then all will be decided on Sestriere. Or even tomorrow…

traxxx-sestriere-night.jpg

Sestriere

Now onto the actual stage. It is a stage. In the Giro. In 2020. The 20th.

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-20-2.jpg

Things to happen. Riders to win. Riders to lose. You heard it here first

Last edited:
I hope they make up for it next year and run the original stage, like when Gavia/Stelvio was canceled in 2013.

I truly have no clue what to expect here. Could go anywhere between a soft pedaled stage, but I've seen "easy" late mountain stages end up being ridden hard as nails. Final stage of the 2019 Vuelta was a good example.

I hope they make up for it next year and run the original stage, like when Gavia/Stelvio was canceled in 2013.

I truly have no clue what to expect here. Could go anywhere between a soft pedaled stage, but I've seen "easy" late mountain stages end up being ridden hard as nails. Final stage of the 2019 Vuelta was a good example.
I doubt it, as Sestriere got their stage finish.

Soooo... The narrative on this forum will now and forever and ever be that Nibali would have for sure turned the race on its head with the old profile?
My point is both were relegated to my personal fantasyland where Contador won the Tour after a comeback, the Dutch won a World Cup, and Andy Murray won an Australian Open title (those damn Anglo Saxons tho)

Okay what I think will actually happen

Battle for breakaway with Ineos and potentially Sunweb guys in it > Ineos tries to drop Kelderman on the penultimate ascent and join up with the breakaway teammate, and pace as long as possible before TGH has to navigate the final 5km on his own between distancing Kelderman and keeping Hindley in check

Sestriere 1 is like a definition of a roleur climb, Sestriere 2/3 is under 7km at a bit over 7%. Someone would have to go full 2003 last Vuelta ITT Nozal out of the back, or full 2004 Vuelta Navacerrada Santi Perez out of the front for this stage to have more than a few seconds between the main riders at the end,

I mean, sure, Ineos would probably try, maybe some others, but it's simply not a hard enough stage even at stage 20.

Ineos and Tao will obviously go for it now and Bilbao clearly has nothing to lose so will hopefully try to join in too.

Hope Nibali decides he'd rather end the race in a blaze of glory than peddling in head down behind the kids and tries something ridiculous which at least ignites the race from a long way out but I doubt it.

I know the stage is tame compared to what we were supposed to get, but I just hope 3 weeks of tough racing in crappy conditions and only a day removed from Stelvio means it is a bit harder on people than expected.

Perhaps the most interesting question to be answered is what point Hindley gets let off the leash if Kelderman starts to struggle. Difficult one to answer as Sunweb won't want to drag Tao away from Kelderman but at the same time, all things being equal, Tao does probably put time into Jai in the TT.

I know these roads very well. If I was TGH, I would send Ganna, Catroviejo and Dennis in the breakaway.
Then, if you look closely at the profile, right after Fenestrelle there is the steepest segment of the entire stage, about 1 km around 9-10%.
I would send those 3 teammates ahead, then 2 of them should wait for TGH after that steep segment of Fenestrelle. TGH should go full gas in that short segment, just as if it was the stage finish. The goal is to gain even just 50-100 m on Kelderman and drop other Sunweb's riders (except Hindlay probably).
Right after that steep part, there is a long false flat that leads to Pragelato...so if Kelderman is alone and TGH has, for example, Ganna and Castroviejo going full gas he can open up a huge gap. In the meantime, Dennis goes on and waits for TGH at the top of Sestriere, so he can help TGH in the false flat between Cesana and Sauze di Cesana....finally TGH has to go full gas for the last 2 climbs up to Sestriere.

The GC guys, most likely Tao, will drill it on the last climb of Sestriere;)

Reactions: Pantani_lives

TRENDING THREADS