• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'italia Stage 21: Torino – Milano 178 kms

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Giro d'italia Stage 21 Torino – Milano 178 kms

Red Rick said:
Wow, last rider on GC more than 6 hours and 40 minutes down. I've never seen that before

Wasn´t aware of that. 6 h 40 :eek:
We may have to go all the way back to 1932 to see something similar...

News about AST screwing Landa: German TV commentator just said he was called back by the car Idiots (Martinelli & Co).

Again: Never seen something like this. Intentionally throwing away the Giro, KOM, and trashing a rider like ***.

When Lemond was hold back, at least the DSes made sure the team wins the GT anyway (with Hinault).
If not a brain-dead like Martinelli was in the car, AST could have dominated like Renault in 1984.
I am still pissed, not over it yet.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:
Wow, last rider on GC more than 6 hours and 40 minutes down. I've never seen that before

News about AST screwing Landa: German TV commentator just said he was called back by the car Idiots (Martinelli & Co).

Again: Never seen something like this. Intentionally throwing away the Giro, KOM, and trashing a rider like ****.

When Lemond was hold back, at least the DSes made sure the team wins the GT anyway (with Hinault).
If not a brain-dead like Martinelli was in the car, AST could have dominated like Renault in 1984.
a possible but unlikely attempt to win the Giro*

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:

Again: Never seen something like this. Intentionally throwing away the Giro, KOM, and trashing a rider like ****.

Likely. Landa was held back so many times, I can´t even remember how many stages it was. Phuck, he was even held back until very late when he still won the stages.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:

Likely. Landa was held back so many times, I can´t even remember how many stages it was. Phuck, he was even held back until very late when he still won the stages.

No one stopped him from attacking on the Mortirolo after Aru was dropped. He chose to suck wheels up the last 6k of the Mortirolo, the descent and until the last 3k of Aprica.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:

Unlikely, you also have to factor in the fact, that he did not have pressure of being the designated leader of the team, that would changed quite a few dynamics to the race.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:

It's even more pathetic if you remember that he actually was unleashed at Campitello Matese where he ruined Aru's chance to wear the pink jersey for a week.

Later on he was held back ruining his chance to win the Giro. And I'm pretty confident he could've gained enough time over and over again in those mountain stages. Nevertheless the tt time lost.

I fear this may have been his once in a lifetime chance like with Felipe Massa in 2008.

Anyway, Aru has to be in his best shape for the Vuelta and Astana needs better tactics to not make up polemics again!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

sultanofhyd said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:

No one stopped him from attacking on the Mortirolo after Aru was dropped. He chose to suck wheels up the last 6k of the Mortirolo, the descent and until the last 3k of Aprica.

That is why I said late and still in my post. IOW: Against all odds he still prevailed. Had to ride against the competition and his own DSses. Yet he is only 3 mins down on final CG.
There is no tiny doubt that Landa could have fought AC down the wire if he had DSes with each having at least 350 working brain cells left.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

staubsauger said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Red Rick said:

It's even more pathetic if you remember that he actually was unleashed at Campitello Matese where he ruined Aru's chance to wear the pink jersey for a week.

Later on he was held back ruining his chance to win the Giro. And I'm pretty confident he could've gained enough time over and over again in those mountain stages. Nevertheless the tt time lost.

I fear this may have been his once in a lifetime chance like with Felipe Massa in 2008.

Anyway, Aru has to be in his best shape for the Vuelta and Astana needs better tactics to not make up polemics again!

Fully agree.... I was no fan of AST (but surely am a hater of "The Face" and Martinelli now), but I am pissed when I am screwed as one watching the events. Same like soccer fans are screwed when games are fixed. I wanna see the best win, not the political correct ("The Face" for the Italian fans) to lose.

I would have rated this Giro 10/10 w/o a doubt. But the AST BS makes it a seven for me.

I don't exacly agree. He was allowed at one point to attack on Aprica. Why didn't he attack on the steep part 15k out? If he sticked, go on, if not, just babysit Contador.

If he felt he should've gone for it, he should have. I don't think its a great thing to do exactly as you're told first and then complain about it very soon after that. Dropping Contador on the Mortirolo or early on Aprica would've gained him leadership without risking it. The opportunity was there and he didn't take it.

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Velolover2 said:
Commentator to Adam Hansen: Gilbert won two stages for your team. You must be happy.
Who was that commentator? :mad:
Some English guy who made pre-interviews with the riders.

Is that right? Must be one of the cross-over commentators from archery or football. Lots of 'em since cycling became popular in the UK in terms of coverage/Wiggins/Olympics/Sky......, etc. :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Red Rick said:

Marco Coledan... some family ties to Guercilena apparently, otherwise it is inexplicable how he could have gotten a contract on a WT squad

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Christian said:
Red Rick said:

Marco Coledan... some family ties to Guercilena apparently, otherwise it is inexplicable how he could have gotten a contract on a WT squad

He apparently has won a silver medal in the Track World Championship.

Christian said:
Red Rick said:

And he waited a few meters before the finish line in order to be last in the GC. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS