• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 8: Sapri-Tropea, 217km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice work by Gatto. He could maybe win another stage with a hill near the end. Points classification????? Nice work by Contador. Tomorrow i predict Nibali will come 2nd as Contrador and Scarponi have. Of course someone will finish ahead of him though. Petacchi is great Cav does just not have the form and to think that AP was out for a part of the yr.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If every team had that attitude then they wouldn't have many riders left. Butler is a neo-pro and 23 years old. Barton is 22 y.o and a neo-pro. Give them a chance for heaven sake! Both those guys were told they were riding the giro 4 days before the race!

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Don't they have too many neo pros. But yannick,phinney and roe are much more promising talents. Butler and barton are pure domestiques

Yannick sucks big time, every mountain stage he rode (something he should be good at FFS!) he ended up waaaaaaay behind the first riders, sometimes even in the bus... If he was really that good he would've shown something already, like Phinney did(although he hasn't had a stellar season until now either thanks to his inability to stay on a bike for longer than 2 weeks)

auscyclefan94 said:
If every team had that attitude then they wouldn't have many riders left. Butler is a neo-pro and 23 years old. Barton is 22 y.o and a neo-pro. Give them a chance for heaven sake! Both those guys were told they were riding the giro 4 days before the race!

Neither Barton nor Butler is a neo-pro. They're both in their second season with BMC. But why should you know? :D

Michielveedeebee said:
Yannick sucks big time, every mountain stage he rode (something he should be good at FFS!) he ended up waaaaaaay behind the first riders, sometimes even in the bus... If he was really that good he would've shown something already, like Phinney did(although he hasn't had a stellar season until now either thanks to his inability to stay on a bike for longer than 2 weeks)
Yeah, BMC sure know how to pick out the real talents.

(okay, Phinney is a real talent)

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Neither Barton nor Butler is a neo-pro. They're both in their second season with BMC. But why should you know? :D

Which still makes them neo-pros.
Every neo-pro has to get a 2-year contract per UCI rules, thus all guys in their 2nd pro year has to be a neo-pro.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Man, it's hard not to admire Contador and Cancellara when it comes to their skills and abilities in their favorite disciplines.
Looks somehow boring and easy to be a fanboy of them.
Actually it's even more boring to listen to a guy who feels great and feels like the king just because he is C&C fan.

I think you are even so bored, that you drank too much Porto in Porto and just come here to trash other riders from time to time and to underline your fanboyness, which is quiet a great achievement and most important message.

take it easy please, sir.

I mean, it's obvious that Andy is a great cyclist and makes Alberto's wins much more "earned". however, because the guy is too good, this is the reason that I don't like him. I am not saying that he should\would beat Alberto, but he should ride another GT or another stage races to win (like california or vuelta). with that talent, his palmares is ***. how many wins?

being fan of cancellara and alberto is just like being fan of FCPorto, just because I am fan of the best, that does not mean that I choose them just because of that.

when contador is out, I really can't see myself become a fan of andy. he isn't "warrior" enough for that.
cancellara made the classics, maybe a display of power so brutal that history only can match it once, in 2010 lol.

how can you compare andy to jan? jan was a tour\vuelta\Olympic winner at andy's age, then we know what happened. being Mr 42% against pantanis, rumsas, armstrongs etc does not help.

i came here from time to time because:

a)this is an Internet forum
b)i study
c)i like to do other things.

ryaguas

cancellara can be a whiner and you may say that the peloton was riding against him (and you are right), but that's a proof of how great he his, and we had a great show :). with all due respect, the other big gun, the new armstrong, didn't impress me like canc did this year. no one else in history could've done that, no one.

(BTW, he is the boss of the peloton, when he says stop, everyone stops. :) if he wanted he could just yell to everyone in roubaix and they would stop and let him win, but that would've been too easy.)

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Ah, so Taylor Phinney in 2014 is still a neo-pro?

Well, they were calling Qatar and Oman Phinney's "first pro race" despite his:
a) having already done those races (with Trek-Livestrong in 2010)
b) having already done higher level pro races (Tour of Denmark 2010, with Radioshack)
c) having already raced in a pro team (with Radioshack as a stagiare).

So they'll probably be looking for ways to call him a neo-pro in 2014 so as to make his achievements sound more mindblowing than they in fact are.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

Butler was a stagiare last year, though didnt race overly much and still rode in the u23 WC's last year. Barton rode in the Tour del'Ain which he didn't finish and Tour of Austraia whichhe finished 70th. He is pretty mucha first year pro. Of the 3 stage races he has started this year he hasn't finished any of them. They are both quite young to the sport.

auscyclefan94 said:
Butler was a stagiare last year, though didnt race overly much and still rode in the u23 WC's last year. Barton rode in the Tour del'Ain which he didn't finish and Tour of Austraia whichhe finished 70th. He is pretty mucha first year pro. Of the 3 stage races he has started this year he hasn't finished any of them. They are both quite young to the sport.

Butler signed his pro contract in April 2010 - and participated at the Giro del Trentino as his first pro race. He was NOT stagiaire in 2010, but a "full" pro.

Barton is afaik pro since the 1st of January 2010.

That's the facts.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Butler signed his pro contract in April 2010 - and participated at the Giro del Trentino as his first pro race. He was NOT stagiaire in 2010, but a "full" pro.

Barton is afaik pro since the 1st of January 2010.

That's the facts.

That is not the facts

THE BMC site states that butler "Made his professional debut at the Giro del Trentino as a stagaire "

http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/team/team/chris-butler.html

Barton may very well be a pro from 2010 but he barely raced last year.

Now get YOUR facts right.

All of this doesn't change the fact that they're still in their second year on a Professional Continental or ProTour/WorldTour team.

And everyone in their first two years IS a neo-pro, it says so in the rules (Joint Agreement between UCI and the teams).
Richie Porte e.g. still is a neo-pro, although he's already shown very much compared to Barton and Butler.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
That is not the facts

THE BMC site states that butler "Made his professional debut at the Giro del Trentino as a stagaire "

http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/team/team/chris-butler.html

Barton may very well be a pro from 2010 but he barely raced last year.

Now get YOUR facts right.

lol your bullsh*tting so much. you can't be a stagiare in april. it's forbidden by uci. he signed pro contract in april 2010 so turned pro in 2010