• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 8: Sapri-Tropea, 217km

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Planimetria

Altimetria

Ultimi km

A straight sprint stage at first glance, but there's a sting in the tail. At about 2k to go we have about 600m at about 8%. Tricky stage to call, because if the climb were just a little earlier the sprinters would be able to deal with it, but when the inevitable attacks go off, how can the fractured group organise to pull them back in less than 1.5k? Something for an attacker rather than a good climbing sprinter IMO. Di Luca? Kiryienka? Or the pink jersey is within touching distance for Le Mevel or even Pinotti if they can make something stick.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Le Mevel will certainly have a dig, he's been up at the sharp end of things nearly every day so far. Di Luca looked pretty good when he shot out of the pack yesterday too. If it's another reduced bunch sprint then Ventoso.

I'm expecting a full on sprint here despite the little dig - even non climbing sprinters would expect to be putting out serious watts at 1 mile to go on a flat stage, so when it's this close to the end I'm not sure it makes that much practical difference, and in the context of a sprint train I doubt anyone will be able make much of a gap and hold on.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
the course oh a whole isnt that difficult. A big group going at a consistent pace will neutralize attacks I guess. Will be interesting to see if the sprinters can not only hang on, but maintain a good position after that bump.

Last time they held a finish here it was the same one.

Bettini blew everyone away on the hill and held a nice advantage over the finish line.
It's not impossible for puncheurs. But with the lack of Gilbert here I don't think anyone can do it.

Rodriguez maybe, but then all GC contendors react. Di Luca? Possible...

My guide lied to me. It has no 600m 8% at the end of this stage. Oh well good news i suppose.

Wow. Ale Jet was not kidding when he said he saw 7 stages for himself.

He won 2, a similar rider won stage 3 , the Wout memorial stage was flat enough, he should have won stage 6, this and stage 10 are flat with not enough climbing at the end to put off Pettachi and then stage 12 is like the flattest stage in Giro history.

I suppose 18 might just could suit him but probably not.

So the Giro has more flat stages than i thought and Pettachi is a pretty good cycling analyst.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Sprint, but possibly without Cav and Robbie. But I hope they'll bite and make it.
600m is not much, but enough to blow up if there are attacks. And I guess there will be some.

Petacchi all over it, or perhaps Vintioso again.

The Hitch said:
My guide lied to me. It has no 600m 8% at the end of this stage. Oh well good news i suppose.

Wow. Ale Jet was not kidding when he said he saw 7 stages for himself.

He won 2, a similar rider won stage 3 , the Wout memorial stage was flat enough, he should have won stage 6, this and stage 10 are flat with not enough climbing at the end to put off Pettachi and then stage 12 is like the flattest stage in Giro history.

I suppose 18 might just could suit him but probably not.

So the Giro has more flat stages than i thought and Pettachi is a pretty good cycling analyst.

i wouldn't call them flat, but Petacchi knows what he's talking about. I definitely pick him for this one. Question is, will Cavendish last long enough in this giro to win a single stage?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
For goodness sake, it's only 600m at 8%. It's hardly the Muur de Huy. The sprinters will get up there fine. A few opportunists may give it a crack but there's still 1.3 k to go.

It'll be a sprint with all the sprinters there.

Cav to win.