• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro predictions:

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
1. Carlos Sastre
2. Cadel Evans
3. Ricardo Ricco
4. Franco Pellizotti
5. Ivan Basso
6. Stefano Garzelli
7. Rigaberto Uran
8. Mauricio Soler Hernandez
9. Gilberto Simoni
10. Bradley Wiggins

I'm undecided about the top 2. The course suits Sastre more, but Evans will be more motivated. I would prefer Evans wins, he deserves a GT win..

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
This is going to be an interesting giro, the course is suited to a Ferrari but the contenders are are a lot of Fords. I don't mean that in an insulting way it's just that while they all have good engines they're 0-60 is not impressive. Hell if Ricco is up to his old self he could win this, but basso is still my favourite.

franciep10 said:
This is going to be an interesting giro, the course is suited to a Ferrari but the contenders are are a lot of Fords. I don't mean that in an insulting way it's just that while they all have good engines they're 0-60 is not impressive. Hell if Ricco is up to his old self he could win this, but basso is still my favourite.

I thought it was Basso to work for Pellizotti at the Giro and Pellizotti would return the favour at the Le Tour. Not sure what Nibali and Kreuziger are gonna do though?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
GC:
1. Carlos Sastre
2. Cadel Evans
3. Franco Pellizotti
4. Ivan Basso

I don't know about the rest. Carlos to win it on the Zoncolan and put a minute, maybe two into Cadel on that stage. Cadel will fight but the Zoncolan will be where the major time is lost. Cadel will cry at the end...hug his wife and dog and follow suit and whine. I will laugh but appreciate his effort. Pellizotti to win a stage as well.

Is Wigans riding? Training no doubt. He won't top 10. If he were smart he would but Brad isn't a thinker and will think he can podium in France and waste his energy chasing a ghost of a dream. Sad, but British at the same time. Just like the English football team. Those morons can win the World Cup. They won't. Spain will beat them in the final if they make it that far and win their Group (which they will). As I said, British mentality. They think about losing and not winning. Ask the aussie cricket team about the British and their attitude problems.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We will see if Evans learned anything from last year's Tour. He should be insisting that his team do a lot of TTT practice.

I think there has been a lesson learned out of that, there was a recon of the TTT route and there has been TTT practice.

I should add that was about a week ago, I imagine there will be more...or so you would think.

Evans: Podium maybe, more likely between 4-10.
Sastre: perfect Giro for him.
Pellizotti. Getting better and better, but still always seems to be weaker when there are numerous climbs. Even last year, the only multi-climb stage and was his weakest performance. (ok, Alpe di Siusi was even weaker, early, doens't count) But throughout his Giro career Pellizotti has always suffered when it's long and many climbs. Opposite of Sastre... while Sastre will love Aprica and Tonale, Pellizotti probably will suffer. He is getting better, improving a bit every year, but the Giro course 09 was better suited to him.
Basso: Who knows... wouldn't count him out, even for the win. Second year back, after a 2 year stop, not unlikely that he gets better. And then could be the Liquigas leader, and IMO with better chances than Pellizotti. But then I tend to overrate Basso, thought he win the Giro 09, then thought he'd win the Vuelta...

Outsider: Masciarelli. Top 5 wouldn't surprise me.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We will see if Evans learned anything from last year's Tour. He should be insisting that his team do a lot of TTT practice.

evans actually organised ttt practise last year. lotto were originally going to do nothing and it is up to them to organise it.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Hell if Ricco is up to his old self he could win this, but basso is still my favourite.

Riccó's old self was what he was like in the Giro 2007, ie. not that good. He only got inside the top 10 because he was allowed to go in a break that went all the way.

Three years older is to his advantage, two years away from competition is not. I'd say those two factors just about cancel eachother out.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Thought I'd resurrect this thread...scarponi, garzelli anyone?

other than his one bad day, garzelli was very strong in the mountains and always up there. Also he came 3rd in the ITT so he could be a chance for a podium. No chance for scarponi though.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
He's got a better chance than anyone else who isn't names Alberto Contador IMO. He's got the TT, and we all saw how he hung on to The Killer's multiple attacks. Sure it won't be quite the same, but I can see him getting 2nd.

I don't think that holds water, particularity not in a Tour with as little TT as 2010. I agree that he could get second, but it's a long shot. More likely he'll be competing for third alongside everyone else who's not Schleck or Contador.

I hope that Rabobank will show anything, because they have to. The race is starting in the netherlands this year, so they have to show a great perfomance, as they did in last years vuelta. it will be a shame if vacansoleil is going for a top10 with hoogerland or even for the top 5 with brice felliu, while rabobank shows nothing in the mountains, just having freire in the sprints.

still cannot understand why rob gesink isn't ride this years giro.it is the perfect gt for him, he could win this years edition against pellizotti and sastre and maybe ricco withe the same perfomance as in last years vuelta. but at his homepage just his programm until luik-bastogne-luik is established, so maybe there is a small chance he will ride it both.

otherwise i don't see ten dam doing anything emersed in italy. but i have big hopes on mollema than. hope he is going for the mountains yearsey than, garzelli won't be a contender for it this year i think, he will get dropped in the high-mountains or will try do get the podium. so it's a great chance for mollema to show his strengh in the mountains.

or the locomotive johnny hoogerland is going to show some great attacks in the mountains.

hope i will see a strong dutch-perfomance at my favourite gt

TRENDING THREADS