• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 12: ITT

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I thought di luca might have done a bit better today, although he's done a good job. I am impressed he is ahead of levi, I think levis chances of winning are small now(altohugh come to think of it, he's still quite a good chance :S). But menchov i am impressed by him, I am admirer of his, last year i bet on him to win the tour, but I did not expect him to be in such good condition for this race. Well done to dennis I hope he or Di Luca wins it now, and I think Menchov is in a great position to do it.

Have to admit that the race is turning out be more exciting than I expected, I thought Astana with Levi might dominate.

Menchov, very impressive today although I dont think he will win it.

Levi was my big favourite but he needs to gain time before the final TT if he is to win it.

Di Luca, most definitely still in contention, needs to attack also.

Sastre, still there but hard to see him on the podium unless he does an Alpe d'huez.

Liquigas, need to sort out who is leader and need to attack a lot.

Big loser, Michael Rogers slip, slipping away.

The rest of the race is nicely set up, a lot of guys need to make back time so they will have to attack. Menchov favours a steady place on the climbs so it will be interesting to see how he copes if they start attacking. At this stage, its very hard to call, I will go for Di Luca. I thought it might have been over after today.

Going to the US next week so will have to find friends that have that Universal channel and listen to the fantastic commentator everyone is raving about.

pmcg76 said:
Have to admit that the race is turning out be more exciting than I expected, I thought Astana with Levi might dominate.

Menchov, very impressive today although I dont think he will win it.

Levi was my big favourite but he needs to gain time before the final TT if he is to win it.

Di Luca, most definitely still in contention, needs to attack also.

Sastre, still there but hard to see him on the podium unless he does an Alpe d'huez.

Liquigas, need to sort out who is leader and need to attack a lot.

Big loser, Michael Rogers slip, slipping away.

The rest of the race is nicely set up, a lot of guys need to make back time so they will have to attack. Menchov favours a steady place on the climbs so it will be interesting to see how he copes if they start attacking. At this stage, its very hard to call, I will go for Di Luca. I thought it might have been over after today.

Going to the US next week so will have to find friends that have that Universal channel and listen to the fantastic commentator everyone is raving about.

Watch it online at a coffee shop (if you're touring) or a friend's computer (if you're visiting) here:

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3734597&DB_OEM_ID=23000

Just click on the Watch it Live link at the top.

Parrot23 said:
Menchov looks like he's hurting on climb. Score one for Levi, the lighter guy.
how wrong where you at that. In fact, Menchov climbed by far the fastest of the favourites. He took in total 40+ seconds on the climb on Leipheimer, and more on all others, if you calculate it from foot to top on both climbs. It's thanks to the descents that he 'only' took 20 seconds on Leipheimer in the end.
So score 1 for the heavier guy, Menchov. ;) I think Leipheimer will have a very, very though time winning the Giro, with Menchov being the better climber, and now beating him in the only stage where Leipheimer potentially would have had the upper hand. And then there's Di Luca ,who is riding better than ever, and still has the Bologna stage which will be ideal, and vesuvius + time bonusses...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
No, that's just Menchov's style of riding. He has been like that for years. Unbelievable how easily people get fooled here.

I bet he was still hurting, regardless of his riding style. And yes he has done that for years, but I can't imagine he makes those faces just because because it makes nice pictures. After all, it's a TT, not a stroll in the park... ;)

anyhow, do you or anyone else, know what he had taped on his bike (top tube). Is that the route of the stage? Some sort of wiring?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/giro09/?id=/photos/2009/giro09/giro0912/PIC31528576

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I bet he was still hurting, regardless of his riding style. And yes he has done that for years, but I can't imagine he makes those faces just because because it makes nice pictures. After all, it's a TT, not a stroll in the park... ;)

anyhow, do you or anyone else, know what he had taped on his bike (top tube). Is that the route of the stage? Some sort of wiring?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/giro09/?id=/photos/2009/giro09/giro0912/PIC31528576

Who wouldn't be hurting? Some guys just hide it better than others. Remember Armstrong vs Ulrich - what a contrast.. I think those are just some gels on his top tube.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Astana thin...

lookkg386 said:
Astana's weapons in the mountains seem a little thin - Levi will have to make his own race I think

I counted, and in the finale the other day Astana one of two teams with 4 riders within 2 minutes of the winner. The other team was Simoni's. A couple of teams had 3, most had 1 or 2 if any within 2' of the winner. That doesn't sound "thin" to me. And on one of the other final climbs last week Astana had 6 guys in the lead group until Lance and 3 others dropped back (whether they dropped back because of Lance or whatever is beside the point), and Astana was the only team with 2 left in the lead group after that (although it was Horner who is now gone, with Leipheimer). I think the next week will be very exciting since attacks will be required to gain on Menchov, and contrary to many of the opinions expressed here I think it is possible to gain time on a short final climb, albeit not as much as is possible on a longer climb.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
No brains

Parrot23 said:
The absence of Horner (tactical brains in the field) may hurt Levi in the next stages, perhaps.

Everybody know that Armstrong and Bruyneel have absolutely no tacticcal brains at all. Oh yeah, their collective success was soley due to DRUGS. Of course, the opposition (Telecom) was using drugs (also, depending on your persuasion).

A

Anonymous

Rupert said:
Everybody know that Armstrong and Bruyneel have absolutely no tacticcal brains at all. Oh yeah, their collective success was soley due to DRUGS. Of course, the opposition (Telecom) was using drugs (also, depending on your persuasion).

wow.. a new ally for whiteboy.. :D

as for the TT another damn impressive job by wiggins.. beat some good climbers

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this has been said here or not. I thought todays course was phenomenal. I read here it was to show off the countryside, it certainly did that. I thought it made for a great TT too, not your usual slugfest, but still played to the strongmen. I really enjoyed it.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
how wrong where you at that. In fact, Menchov climbed by far the fastest of the favourites. He took in total 40+ seconds on the climb on Leipheimer, and more on all others, if you calculate it from foot to top on both climbs.

Right you are; but we were looking at this live/realtime, and you're being an armchair quarterback after the fact. Easy to do. :rolleyes:

Looks like some riders' body language showed they were slowing (e.g. Armstrong), and others maybe not (Menchov), on the same hill.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Rupert said:

Quite the series of non-sequiturs masquerading as sarcasm, LOL.

The little expedition up the road the other day by Horner, with Levi then jumping across, was spontaneously generated by Horner on the road, according to Bruyneel. This is what Bruyneel says: it was unplanned from the car.

Levi can do with all the help he can get, planned from the car and uplanned on the road. It's a team sport, isn't it?