• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giulio Ciccone thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
46&twoWheels said:
My hope is that he will end up having a better career than De Marchi.....

Seems to have quite a bit more potential than De Marchi, no?

I don't know why he's the first that came to mind, maybe their relentlessness. There are certainly more kinds of profiles between "stage hunter" and "GC rider" :p
You two are more knowledgable about cycling than me, what rider of the recent past is Ciccone more similar too, in your opinion? (regardless of nationality). It's probably too early for a comparison?

I think he was a bit bad positioned when Ala and Pinot attacked. If he was Treks GC leader, i think Mollema and Porte could have reeled them in (and probably still lost the jersey due to stage bonus seconds). No team was chasing them hard once the gap was established.

Our Gecko is the real deal, being 2nd to Egan on such a ramp is proof that he is flying.

I hope that he has not wasted too much energy already, attacking so much. I love his aggressive racing but he has a real shot at a podium that he may never get again.

Why should he never get such an opportunity again? It's not like it's a weak or shallow field here.

You never know. He might get an offer he can't refuse to be part of someone else's train.
He has a contract with Trek for the next 3 seasons, I think they view him as one of their key riders for the coming years.
They clearly have to work with him on his TT skills, but a healthy Ciccone is a top class climber.
They have a few talented young riders on their team like Simmons, Tiberi and Skjelmose (wtf is going on with Trek, signing young riders is really not a Trek move at all), they are actually building a nice team for the future.

Our Gecko is the real deal, being 2nd to Egan on such a ramp is proof that he is flying.

I hope that he has not wasted too much energy already, attacking so much. I love his aggressive racing but he has a real shot at a podium that he may never get again.
Is Gecko his actual nickname?

Anyway, amazing form he has at the moment. Hopefully he'll hold on till the end of the Giro.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't trust him being consistently good in the high mountains and he's an awful TTer (he could lose 3 minutes to Remco in Milan).

But he's been great thus far, I love his climbing style and I love he's often on the attack even if it makes little sense. It's a pity Nibali is not at his best because it'd be a very dangerous combo in the third week.

He should try and stay in the GC, otherwise next Vuelta it will still be his first time riding for a GC. This stage was pretty tough and in the end he just used up a little too much energy unfortunately. But a top-10 result is definitely something worth fighting for for Ciccone, if only just for getting the experience to ride for a GC for three full weeks.

If he loses a lot of time on the Zoncolan and drops out of the top-10 there he can always choose to go for stages then, but I think he may well survive the Zoncolan, as he was up there all the time today until he just exploded entirely.

TRENDING THREADS