• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giulio Ciccone thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At least he is the sort of rider who I expect to go for stage wins instead of riding for 7th place or something like that, but yeah, today was pretty disappointing.

I suspect he'll just keep trying to attack until he either wins a stage from the lead group, improves his positioning to threaten podium (unlikely but who knows) or blows up so badly he is allowed into a break in the last week.

Very sad for him, he looked in good form the entire giro, and with the collapse of a few of his opponents today he could have gotten very close to the top-5.

Very unfortunate race with that mechanical on the wrong time and then the fall after that. Hopefully we will see him for GC again in the Vuelta, after a very good and consistent Giro until the fall.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Very sad for him, he looked in good form the entire giro, and with the collapse of a few of his opponents today he could have gotten very close to the top-5.

Very unfortunate race with that mechanical on the wrong time and then the fall after that. Hopefully we will see him for GC again in the Vuelta, after a very good and consistent Giro until the fall.
The plan was that he'll go for the gc the first time at the Vuelta.
I hope his back is ok and not a bigger problem.

Congrats!
Yeah, really nice result for him. He had to postpone his initial altitude camp because of Bronchitis and didn't ride the Ardennes to have an altitude camp then, so his whole Giro prep was messed up. He now sits 4th in the KoM classification, a few more mountain raids next week and he could get the jersey. At the same point he's also now 16th on the gc and 7:30 behind the top 10. If he has those legs on the proper mountain stages in the third week another stage win, KoM and maybe even a top 10 on the gc could be possible, even If I don't expect him to go full Sella.

At the Tour he should really go for the KoM jersey and mountain raids, and Italian hasn't won that one (on the road) since 2009.

According to himself this year he had Covid (for the 2nd time) and then later on the Bronchitis. The later forced him to take antibiotics for 15 days, yet somehow the Italian fans and media didn't even mention his messed up preparation after the Blockhaus stage and just started roasting him.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2022/05/22/1653233904/giro-italia-2022-intervista-ciccone-cogne
Unfortunate on the illnesses, but not really surprising behavior by the Italians tbh.

Yeah, really nice result for him. He had to postpone his initial altitude camp because of Bronchitis and didn't ride the Ardennes to have an altitude camp then, so his whole Giro prep was messed up. He now sits 4th in the KoM classification, a few more mountain raids next week and he could get the jersey. At the same point he's also now 16th on the gc and 7:30 behind the top 10. If he has those legs on the proper mountain stages in the third week another stage win, KoM and maybe even a top 10 on the gc could be possible, even If I don't expect him to go full Sella.

At the Tour he should really go for the KoM jersey and mountain raids, and Italian hasn't won that one (on the road) since 2009.
He certainly goes on the attack again on Crocedomi & Mortirolo already to secure the mountains jersey. Then the question is whether the GC is already shaped or not, so he can go at least full Perez Cuapio and win the Dolomites stage as well!

Ciccone had a lot of misfortune with illnesses and crashes after his 2019 Giro d'Italia. So far he looks on path for a good showing in May.

Will he go for GC though, like he intended in the Vuelta a Espana 2 years ago or just for stage wins and another mountains jersey given the TT miles?
He actually did a decent TT in Tirreno-Adriatico and I think that with the climbing level shown this year so far he can get top 5 anyway and it's not like the other guys who are fighting for the final podium spot will put that many minutes into him in the TTs...

Reactions: jmdirt
He actually did a decent TT in Tirreno-Adriatico and I think that with the climbing level shown this year so far he can get top 5 anyway and it's not like the other guys who are fighting for the final podium spot will put that many minutes into him in the TTs...
No? He has an atrocious track record in TT's. His 20th spot in a 11k TT where weather messed up half of the riders their time isn't exactly a reference. His WT level long TT's are nothing short of horrible. His best ever result in a +25k TT was 97th. I'm sure he could improve, especially with some motivation, but even then he could lose 5 minutes easily(!) to guys like Thomas or Almeida over 70k.

No? He has an atrocious track record in TT's. His 20th spot in a 11k TT where weather messed up half of the riders their time isn't exactly a reference. His WT level long TT's are nothing short of horrible. His best ever result in a +25k TT was 97th. I'm sure he could improve, especially with some motivation, but even then he could lose 5 minutes easily(!) to guys like Thomas or Almeida over 70k.

He's never done a 25k+ TT while actually going for GC though. Not saying he isn't a bad time trialist (he is), but you'd think he won't do that horribly when he actually has a reason to try.

TRENDING THREADS