• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Giulio Pellizzari is the next Giulio Ciccone

64eb632941fee.webp

The guy has been a revelation in this year's Giro. We knew he had talent, but it wasn't a given that he would be able to do so well in his first GT, where only the best rider in the world (atm) was able to deny him a stage win or two as well as a KOM jersey (although the fight for it was also heavily influenced by Pogačar's dominance).

He's expected to sign with BORA, and I hope to see him back at his best in next year's Giro in a free role.

I guess he will be lieutenant in the Giro for Red Bull/Bora next year? It's quite crowded with one of Martinez or Hindley likely leading the team in Italy.
As long has they don't have him drag Vlasov up the high mountains (imo just a Vuelta gc rider who is meh at altitude) everything is fine. Bora often gives their domestique chances to ride for themselfs (ok, mainly the German ones get those chances) and he has time on his side and lots of room to improve. He was the youngest rider in this Giro and despite improving Bardiani are still not run like a modern WT team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I of course also hope does better than Ciccone down the line, but given that his name in Giulio and he's got a breakthrough in his first Giro riding for Bardiani, I think the comparison makes sense. He's also much too tall to be a Pozzovivo or Sella.

Does he have an official nickname, @Mayomaniac?
I was thinking of the Canarino of Camerino, purely because it sounded nice.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You are going that July monster-peak. I see you. Fair play. I cant wait for the amount of puns and funnies spouting out of you in the upcoming race threads.

I very much hope so, but unlike our Great Dane, I haven't scheduled a trip to Mallorca before October, so I might be starting the Tour a little undercooked. However I expect to get going after the first rest day.

I of course also hope does better than Ciccone down the line, but given that his name in Giulio and he's got a breakthrough in his first Giro riding for Bardiani, I think the comparison makes sense. He's also much too tall to be a Pozzovivo or Sella.

Does he have an official nickname, @Mayomaniac?
I was thinking of the Canarino of Camerino, purely because it sounded nice.
That actually sounds good to me.

He's from the same Region as Scarponi (his dad is from the Veneto region, that family name is pretty common around Belluno, in Belluno there is a boutique called Pellizzari where I brought a suit).
He is also dating the daughter of Stefano Casagrande, the brother of Francesco (Stefano was also a pro).

I like his climbing style, but can't really think of any Italian riders that he reminds me of. Maybe Pellizotti?

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
For the Italian speakers I interviewed him back in February and we talked about training, descending, plans for the year and a lot more here: https://www.spreaker.com/episode/s03e01-giulio-pellizzari--58687701

As far as I know he doesn't have a nickname.

He might turn out being the next Ciccone, but his performance in the third week was promising. Must be said he felt extremely tired in the second week when he struggled to keep the peloton's pace even on rolling stages. There is surely work to be done regarding his stamina.

For the Italian speakers I interviewed him back in February and we talked about training, descending, plans for the year and a lot more here: https://www.spreaker.com/episode/s03e01-giulio-pellizzari--58687701

As far as I know he doesn't have a nickname.

He might turn out being the next Ciccone, but his performance in the third week was promising. Must be said he felt extremely tired in the second week when he struggled to keep the peloton's pace even on rolling stages. There is surely work to be done regarding his stamina.
Wasn't he also sick during the first half of the Giro and wanted to leave the race?

That actually sounds good to me.

He's from the same Region as Scarponi (his dad is from the Veneto region, that family name is pretty common around Belluno, in Belluno there is a boutique called Pellizzari where I brought a suit).
He is also dating the daughter of Stefano Casagrande, the brother of Francesco (Stefano was also a pro).

I like his climbing style, but can't really think of any Italian riders that he reminds me of. Maybe Pellizotti?

If he had signed with EF, then Vaughters would definitely have claimed he was Francesco's nephew.

Last edited: