• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Give Lance a chance

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is that even legal, to be on TV doing infomercials for univerally appealing charity causes (children, killer diseases, combination of both) while under formal invetigation, to be tried by yet to be selected jury? It shouldn't be.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Is that even legal, to be on TV doing infomercials for univerally appealing charity causes (children, killer diseases, combination of both) while under formal invetigation, to be tried by yet to be selected jury? It shouldn't be.

Offically LA is not under investigation.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Squares said:
Unfortunately for the prosecutors, they don't get to have a preponderance fo evidence as their standard.

They have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt to a unanimous jury. If there is one juror that doesn't belive it rises to beyond a reasonable doubt, their case is toast.

Whoever said they'll be charging him in regards to this specific event? But they can use it as evidence in support of other charges. No doubt about that.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
I don't think Armstrong is going to spend a single day in the can. Nonetheless, justice is being served as we speak. Him being such a raging narcissist SOB, his god-like image has been forever damaged. No one will ever remember him as the great athlete the public thought he was back in the early OOs without ignoring the shadow of doping around him.. And I bet that ****es him off every single day. :p

Why would anyone make Mr. Armstrong mad? That works against the protagonist.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Nah no chance. Put it this way. Imagine the Feds drop the investigation. Floyd has only scratched the surface in terms of talking to the media. He'll dump the rest and so will everyone else. Lance won't survive. Floyd never expected the Feds to be involved. For him it was always a personal redemption issue then a sporting anti-doping issue. So much hasn't come out becomes the Feds have secured the testimony and the evidence. If the case is dropped do you really think Lance will jump about and say "see I told ya I'm clean!" ? No chance. People are not scared of him anymore and his weight in cycling is zero. He can't pull the strings like he used to.

Floyd won't say peep more unless it benefits him personally. He has done his number and Floyd is smart enough to let it go at this point.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Offically LA is not under investigation.

Of course he is, but the feds do not comment on the targets of an ongoing investigation. Rarely do they even confirm the existence of an investigation until the initial arrests go down.

There is no such thing as "official" yet.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Why would the federal government want to stop drug cheating in sports, as a we all know pro and amatuer sports are a circus fueled by PEDs.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Why would the federal government want to stop drug cheating in sports, as a we all know pro and amatuer sports are a circus fueled by PEDs.

"To help children make right choices, they need good examples. Athletics play such an important role in our society, but, unfortunately, some in professional sports are not setting much of an example. The use of performance-enhancing drugs like steroids in baseball, football, and other sports is dangerous, and it sends the wrong message -- that there are shortcuts to accomplishment, and that performance is more important than character. So tonight I call on team owners, union representatives, coaches, and players to take the lead, to send the right signal, to get tough, and to get rid of steroids now."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/stateoftheunion2004.htm

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
"To help children make right choices, they need good examples. Athletics play such an important role in our society, but, unfortunately, some in professional sports are not setting much of an example. The use of performance-enhancing drugs like steroids in baseball, football, and other sports is dangerous, and it sends the wrong message -- that there are shortcuts to accomplishment, and that performance is more important than character. So tonight I call on team owners, union representatives, coaches, and players to take the lead, to send the right signal, to get tough, and to get rid of steroids now."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/stateoftheunion2004.htm

Dubya spokesman for truth, justice, and the American way. I saw an ad on the World series protraying the dangers of steroids at the world series.

A few weeks later my 10 year old son asked me if he will need to use steroids to play football in high school.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Of course he is, but the feds do not comment on the targets of an ongoing investigation. Rarely do they even confirm the existence of an investigation until the initial arrests go down.

There is no such thing as "official" yet.

Thats all I said - he is not "offically" under an investigation.

Which was in responce to the earlier comment as to why he is continued to be allowed to do 'infomercials' while under "formal investigation".

May 24, 2010
Visit site
More Than Politics....

I have to say the thought sickens me but I would not be shocked at all, if in the end, LA skates from this one.

There are so many big names associated to him and big corperations that stand to loose big if he goes down.

I figure that the USDA will have to have a smoking gun to really bring anything on him and even if they find the evidence they need they have to have the gonads and the powers above to give it a go.

So you see its more than politics, its about big money as well and I guarentee LA's tream has many players behind the scenes working for all of their interests.

Johnny Rotten said:
I have to say the thought sickens me but I would not be shocked at all, if in the end, LA skates from this one.

There are so many big names associated to him and big corperations that stand to loose big if he goes down.

I figure that the USDA will have to have a smoking gun to really bring anything on him and even if they find the evidence they need they have to have the gonads and the powers above to give it a go.

So you see its more than politics, its about big money as well and I guarentee LA's tream has many players behind the scenes working for all of their interests.

Skate from what?*

Even if the Feds drop the case tomorrow Armstrong is gone. He can't even do an interview anymore. He can't even protest his innocence. There's still the whistleblower suit to follow and more than enough people have come forward and told the real story. Armstrong is toast. We've only heard a small amount that went on. If the Feds pull the case everyone is free to speak to the media. He won't last.*

Remember back to the ToC. Armstrong as confident as ever fronted the media when the Floyd story broke. He then released the emails and the UCI defended his corner. You could see that Armstrong thought this would blow over fairly quickly. If it was the USADA investigating on their own they wouldn't have got very far. Once the Feds picked up the case the media interviews from Floyd had to dry up and nothing more could be said.

Which ever way you look at it Armstrong is screwed.

Even the cycling press pretend he never existed. After the first retirement Armstrong was still making the front page of the cycling press two years on.

I think most importantly no one is scared of him anymore and people don't pretend to be nice about him so they can keep their jobs.

He's finished.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Johnny Rotten said:

Well, you are aware of where Mao said political power was derived from?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Politics in this thread are allowed in as far, and solely in as far as it concerns this case DIRECTLY, not other political debate

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
What planet are you living on?

thehog said:
Skate from what?*

Even if the Feds drop the case tomorrow Armstrong is gone. He can't even do an interview anymore. He can't even protest his innocence. There's still the whistleblower suit to follow and more than enough people have come forward and told the real story. Armstrong is toast. We've only heard a small amount that went on. If the Feds pull the case everyone is free to speak to the media. He won't last.*

Remember back to the ToC. Armstrong as confident as ever fronted the media when the Floyd story broke. He then released the emails and the UCI defended his corner. You could see that Armstrong thought this would blow over fairly quickly. If it was the USADA investigating on their own they wouldn't have got very far. Once the Feds picked up the case the media interviews from Floyd had to dry up and nothing more could be said.

Even the cycling press pretend he never existed. After the first retirement Armstrong was still making the front page of the cycling press two years on.

I think most importantly no one is scared of him anymore and people don't pretend to be nice about him so they can keep their jobs.
He's finished.

Almost EVERYONE is still scared of him.

I was going to go thru your whole post but it's laughable.

Get outside of the cycling world and see what people think about him. The guy has sustained a few minor dings and scratches.

Whichever way I look at it, if Pharmstrong isn't indicted, he goes on living like a Prince.

The ONLY issues for the clinic, regarding Armstrong and the rest of the dopers, are political ones.

Your post is just a head shaker.....:eek:

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Politics in this thread are allowed in as far, and solely in as far as it concerns this case DIRECTLY, not other political debate

DIRECTLY indeed.

Hey fella, tell us about the role of POWER and CONSEQUENCES in POLITICS.

Like if people whose jobs depend on cycling say too much of the horrendous truth, they uh, like may not have a job.....

You people are hilarious....

Like all the people who for one reason or another said JV couldn't tell the truth.

This is such a joke...

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
131313 said:
Yeah, have you noticed that ever since he's turned into cycling's version of O.J., he's turned his focus to triathlon? They're not a very discriminating lot, and they seem to be hanging on that nut for dear life.

Not a very discriminating lot? Seriously?
I find most triathletes more genuinely dedicated to their health. Much more so than when I was a cyclist only. But, you guys spend way to much of your time dealing with the doping issue.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Tomorrow on french TV (Stade 2), there will be an interview of Landis on the doping practises of Lance Armstrong's team.
Of course, I don't think we will learn something new, but at least that is part of erasing the myth.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
poupou said:
Tomorrow on french TV (Stade 2), there will be an interview of Landis on the doping practises of Lance Armstrong's team.
Of course, I don't think we will learn something new, but at least that is part of erasing the myth.

i hope its good and they repeat it next July ;)

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
When it's finished....

thehog said:
Skate from what?*

He's finished.

Armstrong is finished when he's held in lower regard than Landis by the General Public.

He's finished when other Pro's would sooner talk about Floyd than Armstrong.

When you have every name in cycling affectionately referring to Pharmstrong as "Lance," he's far from over.

This isn't even the beginning of the end.

It may be the end of the beginning...

A

Anonymous

Benotti69 said:
i hope its good and they repeat it next July ;)

they show selected clips from the show online (non-geo restricted). Might show up there.

TRENDING THREADS