• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Glava Tour of Norway 2013, 15th-19th May (2.1)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yea, but the Glava Tour of the Most Populated Areas In Norway Most Conducive To A Home Win Given The Characteristics Of The Most Famous Norwegian Cyclists would be a less catchy name.

You'd think they'd be able to find some ski station to have a hilltop finish at in the Oslofjord, though.

That's not uncommon though. I mean, the Tour of Azerbaijan only covers part of the country, but one of the main Iranian races was the Tour of Azerbaijan (after the Azerbaijan province of Iran, rather than the country). Now that the names clash, the latter (older) race has been renamed the Tour of Iran, despite being limited to Azerbaijan province. There's also the two Tours Of China, the Vuelta a Mexico, the old Deutschlandtour and many others that can't hope to cover their homeland satisfactorily without a large increase in the number of stages, while even strong and historic races have this problem (eg Tour de Pologne, which almost always either rolls along the south or heads from Warsaw to the south even before this year's weirdness, or the Volta a Portugal, which hasn't been south of Lisboa for four years. A Tour de Pologne that was truly representative of the geography of the country would be a bad race, however, consisting of a week of sprints and one climby stage in the Carpathians that would probably settle the GC - much better to have two or three hilly stages in the South around places like Karpacz and Zakopane for the sake of the racing).

Then there's the opposite matter, of the race covering a much, much larger area than its name would suggest (although much of the time this is more to do with the names of provinces and cities being the same eg Vuelta a Burgos, Tour of Beijing), but it can also apply to races that are named after a central location that many of the stages encircle (Tour of Qinghai Lake, for example) or races over a length that would entail a lot of repetitiousness in the roads used if they stayed within the boundaries of the location (the 6-day Giro delle Valle d'Aosta, for example). Nowhere is this more clear than this:

langkawi_map.gif

"Tour of the Malay Peninsula" would be a more appropriate name.

/off topic.

Hopefully their goal from this is to establish it into a real and genuine Tour of Norway that would more appropriately justify the name. Maybe they would still not go too far north to avoid treading on the toes of the Arctic Tour (not to mention that the regions like Troms would have already paid out for one bike race so would be less likely to also take on the main Tour of Norway), but (especially if the race caravan by boat idea of the Arctic Tour works and can be duplicated) a race with some stages on the west and having stages over towards Bergen and up as far as Trondheim, and some internal where possible (linking urban centres of the required size to handle the péloton always likely to be an issue with some parts of the country of course), and a real mountain stage or two and an ITT, and I'd buy that as a pretty good Tour of Norway.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
That's an impressive list of stupidly named races. I'm afraid there will never be a genuine tour of norway.

There are more than enough races already; we don't need any need any new ones.
Let's embrace the old ones.
Tradition is what gives cycling a "magic" dimension.

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
yea, but the Glava Tour of the Most Populated Areas In Norway Most Conducive To A Home Win Given The Characteristics Of The Most Famous Norwegian Cyclists would be a less catchy name.

You'd think they'd be able to find some ski station to have a hilltop finish at in the Oslofjord, though.

Nothing wrong really with the area they are in, Of course there are much better places in norway but in may they will never be part of a race. A sprint stage in Drammen 3 years in a row pretty much tells us about the ambitions of the organisers, that`s like if the tour would have a bunch sprint finish in Mende.

I'm very happy with Theos victory. He was the fastest, and it was time for someone not from Norway to take a stage. Kristoff seemed to be sitting on his wheel, but Bos was just too fast.

I have a feeling(hope) that Edvald has focused much more on his climbing, and perhaps today he will show it off. I'm also wondering how Kristoff will handle the climbs. He has improved a lot these last years, so he might be able to hold on for a little longer.

The Blanco team could perhaps make things interesting with alternating 1-2 attacks with Mollema and Nordhaug. Then there is all the other teams, which I know nothing about.

I'm a bit disappointed with the picture quality. When the weather was really bad I understood that they couldn't send up any helicopters, but it seems to me that the signal relay system they use is not up to the task.

Could be some air regulations that make things difficult for them of course, but it really seems strange that they can't relay better images.

Anyway it's the first time I'm watching this race, so if I say something stupid, you'll know why.;)

If I read the weather at yr.no correctly it looks to be partly cloudy with around 20c. So the weather should be fine considering the weather this year.

PS! It seems Eurosport will be sending this stage later, so perhaps one should be careful not to post the result too early. Or perhaps one should stay away from this thread until one has seen the stage.

I choose the latter method. I'm recording the Norwegian broadcast, while watching the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts