• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Going out on a limb.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Another moronic speculation. Do you really think the UCI is run out of Pat's basement? he is not an AD inspector an given his profile I would expect a big story if he even went close to a lab or a 1/2 naked rider.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
How do we know McQuaid has not made a positive?

Look at Li Fuyu, did he even request the b sample to be tested?

Benotti69 said:
Is McQuaid not made in the image of Hein? Obviously 'made in China' so not as reliable:D

When it comes to the UCI i think it is safe to assume the worst of them.
These 2 posts highlight the fallacy that Hein/Pat can muster up a positive.

Li Fuyu did request his B sample, it was also positive and he was hit with a ban. But if Hein/Pat had control do you really believe it is in their interest to have a positive against the only Chinese in the WT at that time??

It is much more likely that if McQ gets re-elected that Garmin/JV would fall foul of the World Tour licence application. Pretty easy for a good lawyer to find some minor anomaly in the paperwork that can be spun in to not complying with the licence. It would also have more dire consequences for JV and the team as well as a warning to others.

Dr. Maserati said:
These 2 posts highlight the fallacy that Hein/Pat can muster up a positive.

Li Fuyu did request his B sample, it was also positive and he was hit with a ban. But if Hein/Pat had control do you really believe it is in their interest to have a positive against the only Chinese in the WT at that time??

It is much more likely that if McQ gets re-elected that Garmin/JV would fall foul of the World Tour licence application. Pretty easy for a good lawyer to find some minor anomaly in the paperwork that can be spun in to not complying with the licence. It would also have more dire consequences for JV and the team as well as a warning to others.

My initial premise when I started this thread was not that Pat could invent a + test out of thin air, but that the probable level of cooperation that Garmin receives from UCI in order to ensure the continuation of their status as one of the new generation of clean cyclingTM might just dry up.

Hugh Januss said:
My initial premise when I started this thread was not that Pat could invent a + test out of thin air, but that the probable level of cooperation that Garmin receives from UCI in order to ensure the continuation of their status as one of the new generation of clean cyclingTM might just dry up.

If that was the case surely JV would support Pat

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

I know what was meant - pick a sample, any sample and it would be hot.

Again, it simply makes little sense - if JV is running this great PR exercise he would be happy to have the bumbling corrupt fools run the sport.

And more importantly - with WADA now part o the process the opportunity's that were there in Heins time are gone.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I know what was meant - pick a sample, any sample and it would be hot.

Again, it simply makes little sense - if JV is running this great PR exercise he would be happy to have the bumbling corrupt fools run the sport.
i give cookson the benefit of the doubt like you do, but if the likes of makarov and plant continue to pull the strings once cookson is actually in charge, that doesn't bode well for cookson's independence.

And more importantly - with WADA now part o the process the opportunity's that were there in Heins time are gone
you mean if cookson wins? that's future tense.
and even then we have to wait and see what this brittish guy Reedie is all about.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
i give cookson the benefit of the doubt like you do, but if the likes of makarov and plant continue to pull the strings once cookson is actually in charge, that doesn't bode well for cookson's independence.
If Cookson makes anti-doping independent as he has pledged - what can Makarov, Plant or anyone else actually do?

sniper said:
why are you talking present tense here?
and even in the future tense, we have to wait and see what this brittish guy Reedie is all about.
WADA set the rules for anti-doping, it is almost impossible to hide/make a positive now. Very different from pre 2004.
And unless the "British guy" changes the rules significantly he will have little influence. However funding will be the issue.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Sorry, but you're going to have to be very specific here as I think you're making this up and I've picked LC-MS as an example.

You would have to re-write the software that controls the instrument, make sure it produced the result you wanted but still passed its tune and calibration and then get it to revert back to the original software with no-one being none the wiser. Along with the fact that any changes would be picked up in the software logs (particularly for Dionex stuff).

The raw files that come off the instrument could probably be manipulated but it'd take a huge amount of work and would be beyond pretty much anyone who didn't work for the instrument vendor. Heck, Thermo can hardly get their own software to work properly on the Exactive, every time they update Xcalibur we have problems so the idea of simply editing the software seems fanciful at best.

I'll take this to pm with the specifics of what we do and why.

In terms of Xcalibur, it's been a while since I've used the software, but always had issues with it. So I'll keep my pm to ChemStation, both for GC/MS (my own area) and LC-MS (I'll ask one of the other senior chemists in the lab if he can provide any details).

I'm not suggesting that Phat has a lab in his pocket (I don't believe he has the ability to manage that level of conspiracy - Hein is a different kettle of fish though), just that manipulation in software is easier than manipulating the B-sample directly.

But anyway, not to derail the thread with technical discussion, I'll send you a separate message after I've spoken to my LC-MS colleague (also ChemStation with an 1100 series).

orbeas said:
If Fat Pat gets in the following better watch out ---

Team Sky
British Cycling Teams
Katusha and its Continental Team
Garmin
Radioshack

IMHO, British Cycling isn't touched. They are "growing cycling" in the UK with large numbers of spectators at the recent Tour of Britain. (At least in London)

They are growing the broadcasting-end of bicycle races where the UCI is probably getting paid and who knows who is making what under the table. Remember Makarov's allegation that he had to license "Tour of Russia" from a UAE(?) company. Froome is all set to win another TdF with follow-on growth in the UK.

It looks like they'll shuffle Wiggo off the stage so no Landis hand grenades going off.

Remember too Makarov is the president of the European cycling federations and sponsors lower-level cycling. So, I don't think McQuaid can try to take Makarov down publicly.

peterst6906 said:
I'll take this to pm with the specifics of what we do and why.

In terms of Xcalibur, it's been a while since I've used the software, but always had issues with it. So I'll keep my pm to ChemStation, both for GC/MS (my own area) and LC-MS (I'll ask one of the other senior chemists in the lab if he can provide any details).

I'm not suggesting that Phat has a lab in his pocket (I don't believe he has the ability to manage that level of conspiracy - Hein is a different kettle of fish though), just that manipulation in software is easier than manipulating the B-sample directly.

But anyway, not to derail the thread with technical discussion, I'll send you a separate message after I've spoken to my LC-MS colleague (also ChemStation with an 1100 series).

That's fine, we've just got a triple quad from agilent so would be good to know what can be done with it, just so I know what the students might be up to. I'm on holiday tomorrow but will drop you a pm.

TRENDING THREADS