• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Good training plans for overweight/begining rider

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello, i have been riding now for almost a year and my brother has recently decided to start riding with me. I have already built pretty good fitness by simply riding, and don't want to push him too hard especially now at the start. He is 1.9 m (6'2") and weighs around 120 kg (266 lbs). I really want him to continue riding with me, albeit at a slow pace to start, and i want to find a way to keep him motivated without crushing his body. His main goal is to lose weight (I think his main goal is around 90 kg) any suggestions as to a training regimen or diet plan would be greatly helpful. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
mitchell said:
Hello, i have been riding now for almost a year and my brother has recently decided to start riding with me. I have already built pretty good fitness by simply riding, and don't want to push him too hard especially now at the start. He is 1.9 m (6'2") and weighs around 120 kg (266 lbs). I really want him to continue riding with me, albeit at a slow pace to start, and i want to find a way to keep him motivated without crushing his body. His main goal is to lose weight (I think his main goal is around 90 kg) any suggestions as to a training regimen or diet plan would be greatly helpful. Thanks.

For me I found the longer, slower rides were more beneficial than shorter harder efforts, with 2 long ones each week, 1 of 3-5 and a half hours, 1 of 2 hours plus. 5 or 6 rides a week, 1 rest week (5 days off, maybe a couple of three quarter of an hour spins) after every 3 weeks of training. There's no need to do hills if you just want to lose weight, keep it steady, keep it high cadence spinning.

Porridge for breakfast, ride through lunch if possible and take a bowl of muesli instead. Keep energy levels up with an apple or carrot mid morning or mid afternoon, watch evening meal time portions. Pig out 1 day a week - worked for me!

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it would just be very important to keep riding every day or at least three times a week, because usually when people start to do sports, they do it for about a month and then they leave it. But in order to lose weight, patience and discipline is needed.