• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Graeme Obree bidding for hour record again

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mr.DNA said:
That chainring is painful to look at.

Sometimes it seems hard to turn my 11 x 52...how does he do it? When he finally gets up to speed, which must be at least 30mph on those 'flat' roads, what happens when he needs to brake for that...whatever?!!!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My legs hurt just looking at that gearing! Good luck to him though. The "Flying Scotman" was a good movie and I wish him all the best in his attempt.

Maybe he'll get wise and dope up this time like Sosenka did*.

Still not sure he's going to do it at 43, it seems like too tall of an order. But if anyone can do it, it's him.

Hoping someone at some point will take a crack at Boardman's "Hour Performance" which has stood for 13 years now, and was an impressive feat in it's own right.

(*meant to be completely sarcastic).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Good on him for having the skills and ingenuity to build his own bike from scratch. Seems a world apart from the tech driven carbon bikes seen at the tour. For christ sakes, he hasnt even filled his front brake hole and the helmet he's using looks like an ice-cream tub. 653 is hardly the lightest frameset either. No frills, back to basics. If he can get close to Sosenka's record with that bike, more power to him.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
my buddy sent this to me:

"that big gear means he will be doing 73 rpm at 30mph which is just
above the new record with the new UCI rules. That is very interesting
in itself. Most pros spin at over 90, except some still use low rpm
climbing. Bicycling Science has studies that say 85 rpm produces peak
power. But due to the energy loss just moving the mass of the legs
back and forth, it is actually more efficient to pedal at lower rpm
like 65. One problem with this is that it recruits anaerobic muscle
due to putting more force on the pedals and that tends to build up
lactic acid. Aerobic guys can sustain high power with low force by
using high rpm like Lance. So body type is a big factor, and it looks
like Obree knows himself just like he knows how to design a bike that
is optimal for the UCI rules."

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Gee...... his bike looks completely "normal" . I LIKE it ! No aero-plastique piece of junk everyone uses these days. Old school gears..... no stupid 11t cogs. I LIKE it more!

It looks like he's wearing mtb shoes?