• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gran Fondo Hincapie (Feat. Lance)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Is this just some old Postal lads havin' fun for a good cause?
Or a carefully masterminded test balloon from Lance.?
With the aim of dismantling the 'persona non grata' discourse...

Steady and slowly getting back in the game...

Yes, to all. Getting together for the good cause of promoting Hincapie's clothing line that allows Lance a nice opportunity to participate again.

But Lance will not ride and will blame the witch hunt/crusade. Great opportunity to play the victim and rally the remaining groupies who will cry that the rules shouldn't apply the guy who cured cancer.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Didn't Ricco ride a fondo while he was serving one of his bans?
Lance can always pirate the event or ride as some sort of a guest. I'm thinking they put some thought into how to get him to ride. Or maybe its a plan to have people get outraged if he isn't allowed
Never guessed CVV and Lance where riding buddies

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
elizab said:
Yeah, vindication, that's what I got from all of this. The truth did not/does not pay financially.

on another note, isn't that Haven's partner right behind Levi leaning over?
parchinski?

what a great name for an adult actor

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
unamused said:
Didn't Ricco ride a fondo while he was serving one of his bans?
Lance can always pirate the event or ride as some sort of a guest. I'm thinking they put some thought into how to get him to ride. Or maybe its a plan to have people get outraged if he isn't allowed
Never guessed CVV and Lance where riding buddies
did i?

ricky riccio qua genius

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Dazed and Confused said:
Levi promotes booze.
174243b39916ae985daa5451e1dfcf5f

Levi's so famous he has to wear a name tag...

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
If the gran fondo is noncompetitive, then Lance isn't banned from it. People who want go beyond the rules to ban Lance are zealots. It's not that complicated.

You're right; it's simple. If the event is non-sanctioned, then anyone with a UCI license is barred from entering and can be penalized if they do. If the event is sanctioned, then all participants must have a valid license (one day or otherwise).

Lance is banned. Buh-bye. Cannot ride.

John Swanson

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I don't see how riding in a noncompetitive event violates any ban that was imposed. Lance's doping (past, present, or future) won't give him any unfair advantage in a non-race.

But there are zealots who think that Lance's presence will somehow spoil the sport. I don't think they need to worry. The sport was hopelessly filthy before Lance, and remains hopelessly filthy afterward.

When Tyler was banned from unsanctioned training rides and Valverde banned from attending a party where you here crying about zealots? Do the rules apply to everyone BUT Lance?

Perhaps you can make a list of people the rules don't apply to?

Alpe73 said:
1. An event happens.
2. A message in a bottle is inferred by various people.
3. People like you infer a threat (of course, that's to be expected and is your God-given right, son).
4. Other infer a range of messages ... one being ... "I see no threat; glad they were able to get together for a good cause and have some fun ... and sandblast the 666 of TVG's forehead."

Ok, then 'the rules' are meaningless. I'm the new Road Race World Champion. No rules is cool!

bobbins said:
Very good point. I'm amazed that Jon Teirnen-Lock was allowed to ride a sportive in the UK, the UCI have set a precedent there by allowing that, contrary to the one they set previously not allowing Tyler Hamilton to ride non-sanctioned events. Bans are more about who you are rather than what you did or what you're banned for.

The way it was explained in the JTL thread was it wasn't a BC event that goes under the WADA umbrella. BC operates differently than USAC. I had the same objections at the time until it was explained to me.

In the U.S., if the promoter gets a USAC permit for a TT, RR, criterium or gran fondo, then it is run under WADA rules.

MarkvW said:
If the gran fondo is noncompetitive, then Lance isn't banned from it. People who want go beyond the rules to ban Lance are zealots. It's not that complicated.

No, if the promoter operates the gran fondo through USA Cycling as Levi's brother(??) has done, then USADA rules apply. He cannot compete at an IAAF sanctioned run, FINA swim, or a USA Triathlon event for the same reason.

If Lance wants to show up at an athletic event that is not sanctioned by sports that signed the WADA standards, he's free to do so.

USA Cycling is very purposefully confusing the issue.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/u...mitted-to-ride-saturdays-gran-fondo-hincapie/

“USA Cycling has informed USADA that the Gran Fondo Hincapie constitutes a cycling “activity” that is “authorized” by USA Cycling as those terms are used in the World Anti-Doping Code and in the Anti-Doping provisions of the UCI (International Cycling Union) Cycling Regulations.

“Under these provisions, an athlete’s suspension bars participation in an authorized activity such as this. The UCI has confirmed USA Cycling’s interpretation. The World Anti-Doping Code vests jurisdiction in UCI and in USADA to determine whether an athlete has violated the terms of any suspension, as well as to assess any sanctions that might accompany an adverse determination.”

Race Radio said:

USA Cycling has informed USADA

USA Cycling directs USADA. That is how the system is set up. Is everyone clear?

The World Anti-Doping Code vests jurisdiction in UCI and in USADA to determine whether an athlete has violated the terms of any suspension, as well as to assess any sanctions that might accompany an adverse determination.”

USA Cycling muddies the water some more here. USAC directs USADA to sanction someone regarding an adverse determination that USAC and only USAC makes.

What's great in this situation is it all happened out in the open so USAC had no choice but to call it a breach of the rules and instruct USADA as much. Bio-passport violations are all secret, so they can just ignore them until they need them.

mrhender said:
Is this just some old Postal lads havin' fun for a good cause?
Or a carefully masterminded test balloon from Lance.?
With the aim of dismantling the 'persona non grata' discourse...

Steady and slowly getting back in the game...

Maybe all the fuss is based upon the concern of what will be next...?
That would be my immediate concern...
It's not about some stupid Hincapie Gran Fondo.
Maybe it's about a potential (psychological) precedence...

WIth my limited knowledge of his persona I would consider it a risk to let a guy like him get a foot back in the door...

I know little of how his case(s) are developing but surely must be better for him if he can say:

See! Despite of this and that -I'am still accepted... They still love me. They still need me....

Yes, agreed with all this.

zigmeister said:
This doesn't matter. The question is whether this is some kind of official USAC sanctioned event. It isn't just because it is on their website and they are offering insurance to the organizer IMO.

It's been organised and sanctioned by a USAC (and hence UCI) affiliated club, which is bound by the same regulations and is required to uphold the WADA code, including athlete sanctions.

It would seem that USAC now agrees.
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/u...mitted-to-ride-saturdays-gran-fondo-hincapie/

TRENDING THREADS