• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Depart 2017 in Germany?

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
London backtracks from bidding for the Grand Depart. Germany now the favourite ?! Would be nice to see the tour back in Germany but i dont think it will happen. And i don't think the crowds on the roadside would be as big as they would have been in GB.

the only German city that really showed interest (or was vocal about it at least) was Münster, and they have pulled out this month

apparently Düsseldorf and Mannheim have loosely talked to Prudhomme, but there was nothing more in the media so far and none of all the bureaucratic ways have been paved as far as I can see. It's unlikely to happen,

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
TMP402 said:
I thought Edinburgh and Manchester were also interested. I wonder why those two cities aren't still in the running even if London isn't.

Germany >> Any place in GB.

Germany, some juras and early Alps would be great!
Yeah, because Yorkshire was such a bad weekend :rolleyes:

It was fine, but GB has had Grand Departs in 2007 and 2014 in TdF, while Germany has a super geographical placement (at least mid/south) in order to make some interesting stages early on and have excluded themselves from the cycling world from 06 on, I would MUCH rather see Germany getting the GD.

Valv.Piti said:
Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
TMP402 said:
I thought Edinburgh and Manchester were also interested. I wonder why those two cities aren't still in the running even if London isn't.

It was fine, but GB has had Grand Departs in 2007 and 2014 in TdF, while Germany has a super geographical placement (at least mid/south) in order to make some interesting stages early on and have excluded themselves from the cycling world from 06 on, I would MUCH rather see Germany getting the GD.

Oh I'm glad germany's getting it, I was just wondering about the application process.

Valv.Piti said:
TMP402 said:

Disagree, As has been said I have a feeling they will put in a TT to suit Tony Martin and then a couple of Greipel/Kittel stages to really keep the push of cycling going in Germany.

Scotland would have made a great start as would some hilly stages around Manchester.

Düsseldorf would be cool. Could be a good intro to the race with something like:

1) Düsseldorf prologue
2) Köln - Frankfurt (mostly flattish in the Rhine basin, maybe Mammolshainer Berg around 25km out)
3) Mainz - Trier (hilly stage in Rhine-Moselle area)
4) Trier, Saarbrücken or Luxembourg-Ville - somewhere in France (if Saarbrücken, we might be lucky and get something like Gérardmer)

OR
3) Frankfurt, Offenbach, Darmstadt - Heidelberg (stage including Königstuhl near the finish for an early intermediate stage)
4) Karlsruhe - somewhere in France (probably somewhere like Nancy, as if they do Königstuhl they probably won't want to do much in the Vosges)

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
robin440 said:
London backtracks from bidding for the Grand Depart. Germany now the favourite ?! Would be nice to see the tour back in Germany but i dont think it will happen. And i don't think the crowds on the roadside would be as big as they would have been in GB.

Grand Depart without national TV broadcast?

Valv.Piti said:
Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
TMP402 said:

Absolutely, hoping that Germany get this also!

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Düsseldorf would be cool. Could be a good intro to the race with something like:

1) Düsseldorf prologue
2) Köln - Frankfurt (mostly flattish in the Rhine basin, maybe Mammolshainer Berg around 25km out)
3) Mainz - Trier (hilly stage in Rhine-Moselle area)
4) Trier, Saarbrücken or Luxembourg-Ville - somewhere in France (if Saarbrücken, we might be lucky and get something like Gérardmer)

OR
3) Frankfurt, Offenbach, Darmstadt - Heidelberg (stage including Königstuhl near the finish for an early intermediate stage)
4) Karlsruhe - somewhere in France (probably somewhere like Nancy, as if they do Königstuhl they probably won't want to do much in the Vosges)

Good news.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-dusseldorf-hoping-to-host-2017-tour-de-france-grand-depart/

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

TheGreenMonkey said:
The best place to hold the grand depart is FRANCE. It is the Tour de FRANCE. I HATE all these foreign starts.

I agree for the most part, but I do think it's cool when the GTs travel into neighboring countries for parts of a stage or a couple stages (Vuelta into Andorra, Giro into Switzerland, etc). The not just foreign, but also far away is really annoying.

Sciocco said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
The best place to hold the grand depart is FRANCE. It is the Tour de FRANCE. I HATE all these foreign starts.

I agree for the most part, but I do think it's cool when the GTs travel into neighboring countries for parts of a stage or a couple stages (Vuelta into Andorra, Giro into Switzerland, etc). The not just foreign, but also far away is really annoying.

I don't mind when the GTs go over the border for a stage or two but when they start outside the nation and stay there for multiple stages it is just wrong in my view. Money plays to big a role in the route design like it does in most things in life.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Düsseldorf will decide next month. In their bid is also a draft of the prolouge time trial:

f1falc.jpg

TRENDING THREADS