• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Depart 2017 in Germany?

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2015
Visit site
CvCwHt2WgAAaeCW.jpg

CvCwQh9W8AAjDME.jpg

CvCyZ7AWcAAxDyq.jpg

Overall I like the route I suppose.Bit heavy on MTFs with PDBF, Rousses, Izoard, Peyragudes and Galibier (is it a summit finish though?). I hope Foix and Chambery are properly raced. That Biche, Colombier, Chat stage is...Whoa. But I wish we had a finish at Le Bourget.

ASO keeps going for new stuff along the classics. Good on them I say. We had too many years of the same stuff. Races like the Vuelta are much more flexible and better for it (at least they vary their muritos every now and then!).

Re:

MikeTichondrius said:
Overall I like the route I suppose.Bit heavy on MTFs with PDBF, Rousses, Izoard, Peyragudes and Galibier (is it a summit finish though?). I hope Foix and Chambery are properly raced. That Biche, Colombier, Chat stage is...Whoa. But I wish we had a finish at Le Bourget.

ASO keeps going for new stuff along the classics. Good on them I say. We had too many years of the same stuff. Races like the Vuelta are much more flexible and better for it (at least they vary their muritos every now and then!).
The Galibier stage finish in Serre-Chevalier. It's a descent finish.

Les Rousses is not really a MTF.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
23km of TT is a travesty.

Normally I'm not a Froome fan at all, but hopefully Froome or somebody else with a good TT wins, so we at least get a worthy winner who would've also won on a real route.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I blame Contador and Nibali for those super short stages.

The organisers are idiots if they think there are other guys who will just go from the start and don't give a ***

Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
23km of TT is a travesty.

Normally I'm not a Froome fan at all, but hopefully Froome or somebody else with a good TT wins, so we at least get a worthy winner who would've also won on a real route.

I honestly thought that they'd give up on Quintana after this year, and do a more balanced 80's style route to give the likes of Dumoulin and Pinot a shout. Instead they've gift-wrapped another route with a bow on top for Quintana, although he'd prefer fewer flat stages. They have added some steeper finishes, which is important - it's one of the reasons the Vuelta is better at creating gaps (as well as the weaker teams). Riders, and especially domestiques, are in way too good shape these days. The steady 7% Alpine slogs can't hack it anymore, they're too easy to draft. But yeah the race is more boring with so little TT - there won't be the resulting gaps to force the pure climbers to go from further out.

TRENDING THREADS