• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grand Tour Elimination Game ( 2010s )

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Heal: 2019 Tour
Hurt: 2017 Vuelta

It has been long enough for the 2017 Vuelta. Thanks for the memories Contador.

2019 Tour I'm still working out my feelings for that one. The start of the third week, I had a spring in my step, anticipating the most exciting finish of that race since I started watching it. Then, Pinot's unfathomable abandon and the truncated stage(s) abruptly cutting off the drama just took the air out of it. Still, I think it's better as a whole than several that are still around.

Except for the part that all his 5 GT wins were legit exciting and dramatic races.

If this were about 2000-2019 and the 2009 Tour finished Sky high then I think there's a big argument.

Yes and no. Was the 2011 Giro exciting? Certainly not from a gc (race not being in the bag) perspective.

And Contador was in control of the 2015 Giro for the most part, except for some panic moments on the final main mountain. This is rather comparable to Froome/Quintana at the 2015 Tour.

If you put Froome into doing what Contador did, many on here would say, "Oh, he only won it in the time trial, there was no panache."

Disclaimer: Contador fighting back against adversity on the Mortirolo was very exciting and dramatic.

Well that 2014 Vuelta was the greatly anticipated Froome/Contador confrontation that we missed seeing at that year's Tour, and it was fairly close between the two. And Andy was kind of a case of not missing someone until their gone. Plus Tourmalet was pretty epic with those two.

2012 Vuelta was unexciting and undramatic until Fuente De. It was basically Purito and Valverde outsprinting themselves and Contador on muritos for 2 weeks and Degenkolb winning every stage in between. Not even the long ITT produced meaningful gaps.

But then Fuente De happened and all of that was suddenly forgotten.