• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great Cinema - Short Clips

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
lactictac said:
Kubrick again, "The Shining": fear and comedy, 32 seconds worth.
The problem I had with half of that movie is right there in that clip, as I saw the scene as 95% comedy, and 5% fear. Much of the film is masterful, but for me Nicholson was just over the top.

lactictac said:
"Ip Man" - Bruce Lee's teacher. His style was Wushu, invented by a woman, perfected by ... Ip Man. Here, he fights 10 invading Japanese black belts at once...
In one of these movies someone is going to finally come to the conclusion that it's best if all 10 guys rush the hero at once, instead of one at a time. Still, that was a pretty cool scene, and a great story behind it.

Here's a nice tribute to the late Roy Schedier and the very cool film Sorcerer. A movie hardly anyone saw.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello Alpe, Thanks for the posts.

I half agree with you on Jack and "The Shining." I always look to the director and writers for a film, actors usually being secondary. Usually. Here, yes. Jack is not a fine actor and gets his fuel from the late 60s and being, as you say,over the top. Remember the movie theater scene in "The Departed"? A clown. However, in support of Jack, 1/2 support, I think his comic interludes in "The Shining" show just how nutty he had become - joking while trying to murder the wife and child. I guess the producers allowed Jack to be cast for his marquee status.

Your "Ip Man" comment arsies sometimes in all action films - why don't the dozen bad guys attack the good guy all at once? Well, drama, suspension of disbelief .... Also, there is some element of fact and tactic. The semi and actual IN fighting against a quick opponent may have your punch miss and hit your own man or miss and leave you open. I practice the katana and 2 never attack one. A slash or thrust against a moving, agile opponent may have you striking your own man. Sort of like a cross-fire.

"Sorcerer" is now in my Netflix queue - thanks. Friedkin? "The Exorcist," "The French Connection," I am up for this film - did not know about it. Thanks again!

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
"A Fistful of Dollars" - fine film.. And while I love the later Leone films "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and especially "Once upon a Time in the West," "Fistful" sometimes sticks in my throat ... it is a remake of "Yojimbo" by the great Kurosawa. Legal action had to be brought. Why? Pay homage to a prior masterpiece, acknowledge it. Don't steal it! Still, a fine film is "Fistful." Thanks.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
"I, Claudius" - I think THE best TV series ever. The Brits again! In this scene, the Emperor's wife, Messalina, has had a contest with a prostitute to see how many men ... well, you can guess. And Messalina has married a young general, putting the Emperor Claudius in a bad light. Here, she pays the prices ... of execeution: "What do you want?" "Your life lady." Awesome story, script, cast, direction ... inexpensive but marvelously creative. "Noooo. Not my head!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PSmuKpAQY

Enjoy?

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
This may take the cake - FIRST PRIZE for an ending: "Nights of Cabiria," by Fellini. A good-natured prostitute, always last in love and luck, finally finds the right man - who then almost kills her and does steal her money. She almost wants to die but gets up to walk home and finds ... redemption ... in a party of youngsters. The last minute and Giuletta Masina's face are .... memorable beyond words. A brilliant take on life and love and the power of cinema in the hands of a master. MUST SEE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDFWGoCfy8

Enjoy!

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Leading to the climax in Robert Altman's Nashville. Ronnie Blakely's Barbara Jean has apparently recovered from her breakdown, she's in control, the audience is hers, and her song is about family and home on the farm and riding in the car listening to her dad sing Army songs. The ripple of breeze through the flag backdrop sends a chill up my spine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrUGz8Dh-s

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Leading to the climax in Robert Altman's Nashville. Ronnie Blakely's Barbara Jean has apparently recovered from her breakdown, she's in control, the audience is hers, and her song is about family and home on the farm and riding in the car listening to her dad sing Army songs. The ripple of breeze through the flag backdrop sends a chill up my spine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrUGz8Dh-s