• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great moments in cycling commentating

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
spalco said:
It's also a bit of a stretch. Yeah, maybe he was thinking of Tondo, but it might have also been just a general "thank you god" gesture, which you can see from athletes of various sports all the time after winning something.

Hence the maybe.
Though the great/dumb bit I was thinking about was the "I believe they were on the same team" part.

Also, pretty much every time they refer to Tondo's tragedy:

"It sounds completely bizare to say it!"

(Gotta say I agree!)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I may have misheard him, but I could have sworn the Australian commentator said that Erik Dekker was a not particularly talented rider in his day. Made me wonder what a rider has to do to demonstrate their talent - win multiple Classics or at least 5 stages of the Tour?

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
After the field sprint today at the US Pro Cycling challenge:

Paul Sherwin:

"Sometimes its the last four or five hundred meters that are the most important in the field sprint."

It was news to me :D

MartinGT said:
Just been watching highlights of the US Pro Tour and there is that guy who runs with the moose horns.

Phil "Oh a flashback to the Tour de France, wow he gets around"

Hmmm Phil, thats Didi, youre thinking of the Tour of California!

Phil makes a lot of mistakes, but he was right about this one. I don't remember if Antler guy was definitely at this year's tour because I seem to have blacked out parts already, but he has been there in the past. It was in 2009 that Flecha took antler guy's flag on some mountain and rode with it for a bit before handing it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF847ESJEo0

A

Anonymous

Paul Sherwen on twitter :-
PaulSherwen Paul Sherwen
African Prov: B4 u criticize some1, u should walk a mile in their shoes. So when u criticize them, u are a mile away & u have their shoes.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I've just re watched the last part of the 2009 worlds road race today and just after Kolobnev attacks on the final lap Phil Liggett says,

"The last time he won a race was when he was second in these world championships in September 2007"

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Watch Lance's Hautacam attack, at one point they show the time gap at 4 minutes and change and Phil Liggett just kind of goes "woahhh" as if it's the craziest thing he ever saw, and it was pretty amazing to be fair.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Carlo Algatrensig said:
I've just re watched the last part of the 2009 worlds road race today and just after Kolobnev attacks on the final lap Phil Liggett says,

"The last time he won a race was when he was second in these world championships in September 2007"

Haha Phil makes a lot of mistakes like that, part of his charm I guess.

Carlo Algatrensig said:

He just decided that he won the silver rather than lost the gold. It's all a matter of perspective! :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In some sports a medal on Olympics or WC is considered a victory. While Phil is obviously saying something stupid here, in some sports silver or bronze is seen as something big. While in cycling no one gives a damn about who gets silver or bronze at the WC.

At the Olympics I'd consider any medal for a Belgian in cycling as a victory though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
WinterRider said:
After the field sprint today at the US Pro Cycling challenge:

Paul Sherwin:

"Sometimes its the last four or five hundred meters that are the most important in the field sprint."

It was news to me :D

That is hysterical. I guess it's only "sometimes" that it's like this... :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS