• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great "unknown" climbs

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to cheat and throw in Mt Baw Baw, although it hasn't been used for a few years in the Herald Sun Tour (and the Baw Baw Classic):

Mt-Baw-Baw.jpg

Average: 13 %
Length: 6.05 km
Height start: 680 m
Height top: 1460 m
Gradient: 780 m
Maximum: 20 %

Description:

Australia's toughest climb. Short, but very very steep and tough with no let up from start to finish. Average gradient of 13% over the 6km.

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?col=Mt-Baw-Baw&qryMountainID=7734

It's been described as Australia's answer to the Zoncolan.

MBBC_09_054.jpg

Now as for the Scanuppia, we have a local road on the Gold Coast called Henri Roberts Drive, it's about 3km with an average gradient of 25%, but towards the top is 18%. I've never ridden up it (or down). Trucks and buses are not allowed to drive down as they will wear our their brake and clutch pads, and about 20 years ago a bus went over the edge, and not surprisingly, the result wasn't good for all those on the bus. If I were to descend it, I would want to put on a new set of front and rear brake pads before going down and when I got to the bottom, put another set on.

jobiwan said:
If the Tour of California ever goes back to LA, I would suggest the Fargo Street Hill! If nothing else but a good show for the public!

Not even .2 kilometers, but tons of fun!! :p

Fargo_Street_profile.jpg

3359493289_4186b1786c.jpg

OMFG, that is awesome.

We have a winner.

If Cali finish on this, Ill stop putting them down and just shut up.

Looks like it has the same sort of altitude gain as Mur de hoy.

I dont even know what type of rider would win on this. Purito? Maybe Contador.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Is that a MTF or a mountain pass, or could be used for both?

Here is Mount Wellington in Tasmania, it could be used in the Tour of Tasmania:

Average: 5.9 %
Length: 21.4 km
Maximum: 8.1 %

Description:

The last half of the climb is grueling especially "The Face" this is where people lose huge chunks of time.Mt wellingtons surface is suspect which makes it even harder.

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Mt-Wellington&qryMountainID=9717#profile

That's Hobart (capital of Tasmania for those playing at home) in the background, although it's hard to see.

BTW, for the Australian/Victorian posters, Mt Buller has been used in the Herald Sun Tour right? I know it's used in a few cyclo-sportives and whilst it isn't that steep, it's just one big drag to the top, not sure on the distance though (I haven't actually been to Mt Buller either).

imagine if you went up Mt Wellington on a windy day? I think some cyclists would be blown off the Mountain with such winds.:D

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Pine Flats road out of Geyserville Cal. Average 6% for a long way and then 2km of 20%+ on a road too narrow to wobble on. Very few Pine trees after the fire but a very cool experience.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Port de Boucharo / Puerto de Bujaruelo (2270m), central Pyrenees, France

The road terminates on the Spanish border, but needs some work. The scenery is stunning (Cirque de Gavarnie) and the road itself is popular among tourists, but remains unused by the TDF.

This climb cannot be directly linked to another big climb, unless you include the 20 kilometer long stretch of mostly false flat between Luz-St-Sauveur (Tourmalet) and Gavarnie.......

http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Port-de-Boucharo&MountainID=7058

Looks great, would be excellent if it could be used, long enough with enough steep sections to be a real challenge.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Is that a MTF or a mountain pass, or could be used for both?

Here is Mount Wellington in Tasmania, it could be used in the Tour of Tasmania:

Average: 5.9 %
Length: 21.4 km
Maximum: 8.1 %

Description:

The last half of the climb is grueling especially "The Face" this is where people lose huge chunks of time.Mt wellingtons surface is suspect which makes it even harder.

Mt Wellington has been used in the Tour of Tasmania. A certain young mountain biker destroyed the field there in 1998. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1998/jan98/tassie98.html#7

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
20-year old Cadel Evans won the Tour of Tasmania today after destroying the fancied riders on the climb to Mt. Wellington yesterday. Everyone was raving about his performance yesterday and many were predicting big things for him, if he should turn his MTB talent to the road. The race organiser told a radio interviewer that he thought Evans was the only Australian capable of winning the Tour de France.

Buy that man a cigar

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Le breton said:
1300 racers did it this month, but not a single one to report here?

They also race up on foot on a separate day.
This year there is still snow at the top

What I would love to read are details on the road from sea-level in Motril, looks doable on the map.

http://www.ideal.es/almeria/2011070...clistas-toman-salida-sierra-201107091148.html

The climb up the other side would be possible but only on an MTB. pretty rough in places. at the end of September last year there was still a fair bit of snow on the top :cool:

IMG_0174.jpg

bhilden said:
I would be interested in knowing when the lights were installed in the tunnel on the Col du Sanetsch. I rode it in July 2009 and there were no lights.

Good call on the Port du Boucharo. However, unless somebody removes the big boulders at the Col de Tentes you could only probably race to 2215m and not all the way to 2270m.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be a problem. The final stretch of road up until the Spanish border needs a lot of work though. But I would be more than happy with a Col de Tentes MTF.

Another interesting summit finish would be to go right about 8km up the Pla d'Adet climb and ascend the Col du Portet which tops out at 2215m, 600m higher then Pla d'Adet. The road is OK with several short gravel sections.

I'm not familiar with this one myself, but it certainly looks interesting.

Col de Portet 2215m, Central Pyrenees, France

2n1vrf7.jpg

21dn3vc.jpg

2jchc8o.jpg

2dl2fbc.gif

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Kalahatty in Southern India is a good and viable climb, 10.66km at 12% average. It's also a tourist attraction, yet the only real professional race here is a pancake flat race for sprinters.

rj49ow.jpg

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow zamasailo those are incredible photos! I would love to see a race up there. I did a bit of research on the mountain as i found it looked interesting. It has 99 turns/switchbacks/cicrles as shown in pictures, whatever you like really. It is 11km long and rises a total of 1100m so if im not mistaken thats an average of 10%.

bhilden said:
I would be interested in knowing when the lights were installed in the tunnel on the Col du Sanetsch. I rode it in July 2009 and there were no lights.

Really? I did it in 2005 or 2006.

They must have known you were coming and switched the lights off:(

I would complain:)

I just investigated and found this

http://didiercadelano.zzl.org/velo/Cols/199_Sanetsch/199_Sanetsch.html

According to which you need to turn on the light with a switch!!! So funny, only in Switzerland.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
OMFG, that is awesome.

We have a winner.

If Cali finish on this, Ill stop putting them down and just shut up.

Looks like it has the same sort of altitude gain as Mur de hoy.

I dont even know what type of rider would win on this. Purito? Maybe Contador.

084_dunedin_baldwin_street_worlds_steepest-Ulrich-Neumann-www-nzpix-com.jpg

Hitch, meet Baldwin street :)

Gr411?

The climb up the other side would be possible but only on an MTB. pretty rough in places

Thanks for the pix.

I have a Michelin map from 1984, #446, and it gave the impression that the GR411 from Bubion, Capileira (1436 m) would be poor but manageable even with a road bike.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
The climb up the other side would be possible but only on an MTB. pretty rough in places

Thanks for the pix.

I have a Michelin map from 1984, #446, and it gave the impression that the GR411 from Bubion, Capileira (1436 m) would be poor but manageable even with a road bike.

The tarmac ends at 1800 m altitude on that road.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Now for a bit of Flanders in the UK:

I grew up in the area but I never tried Thwaites Brow and I'd completely forgotten about it until I read a copy of Cycling Weekly last winter.

Starts off unimaginatively in a housing estate before turning into a savage, cobbled killer.

There's loads of cobble roads/streets/hills in West Yorkshire. You could quite easily make a fantastic race in that area that could match the RVV for cobble hills.

The most famous in that area is 'Shibden Wall' (ie Lee Lane) near Halifax. It's listed in the book of UK's 100 greatest climbs. I can't find a profile for it but climb by bike does says (when you add a little bit on the end that's not cobbled) 'This is short very steep "Flanders", style cobble climb of 1,8 KM. It starts with an 10% ramp of about 20 meters into a 25% cobble section which lasts for most the climb and then ends with a 6% finish at the top of Swales Moore'.

Here's a youtube clip of someone going up it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB_8B3aZAGA

Some photo's

5540464244_c227a10e2d.jpg

5539886345_3117f7514c.jpg

It has been previously used by the Kellogs Tour of Britain.

There's some other decent cobbled climbs in the area too. The Hough at Shibden, Horsehold, Heppenstal Road, Main Street in Howarth and Woodhouse Lane to name a few.

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. It already has a hill climb done once a year, but I'd love to see it in the American grand tour, whenever that thing gets set up :p. 12% gradient with some of the worst weather on earth, what could be better(for us viewers that is:D)

Mount_Washington_White_Mountain_Road_profile.jpg

craig1985 said:
BTW, for the Australian/Victorian posters, Mt Buller has been used in the Herald Sun Tour right? I know it's used in a few cyclo-sportives and whilst it isn't that steep, it's just one big drag to the top, not sure on the distance though (I haven't actually been to Mt Buller either).
I believe that it was last used in the Herald Sun Tour in 2008, with the stage being won by Lars Bak.

TRENDING THREADS