• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great "unknown" climbs

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Here's the Mauna Kea climb. Note the distance, elevation, elevation gain, and where the climb is most difficult.

I have done this climb....frankly it sucks. Zero shoulder for much of the way. The last part before the dirt is insanely steep. It really isn't worth the time

Haleakala is excellent, of the best.

Red Rick said:
Colle Valcavera. This one could be combined with the Fauniera perfectly, as the Valcavera starts straight after the descend of the Fauniera
profile.asp
Actually Valcavera is the very same climb as Fauniera :p just a few meters lower.

The Alpe di Aleccio
maybe its not that unknown but i haven't found much about this climb so i decided to post it here.

Stats: 9.2km at 11% gaining 1015m

In the climb there is a kilometer with 18% average and parts that pitch cleary over 20%. As you will see from the photos, the road is small and the condition of it is really bad what makes this climb even harder. You can compare this with the Alpe Fuori even if the Fuori climb is still a little harder. Photos:

06_auf_860m_orig.jpg

08_es_mangelt_ncht_an_Steilheit_orig.jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
MrMaillot said:
Well, apart from the last 500 metres, it doesn't go under 11 or 12%. Plus it's on Gravel for most of the climb... :D
Gravel? It was paved when I was there. I've been there twice. I discovered it in 2008, when I wanted to do some mtb tour with a few friends, so we decided to ride to the lake we went earlier by chair-lift, not knowing it would be a road that was so cruel. After 1/3 most of my untrained friends quit, but I wanted to continue. I did make it all the way.

Last year I went back alone with my road bike. I visited Swiss with only 34x25 as lowest gear and wasnt able to get past the steepest passage. Must admit that I didnt do much training that year. I'll be back.

grafiek.php

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Passo della Forcella

Eshnar said:
The road is in very bad state, but if Cainero wants they'll resurface it. I see a MTF on Stentaria unlikely but possible. The original rumour, though, adds Crostis and Zonc (from Sutrio) before it. Well, that's just bs. It is impossible to descend the Ovaro side with those narrow tunnels at the beginning. They prevents any kind of medical cars to follow the riders. It's way worse than Crostis.

The road to the Forcella is being rebuilt in the same way as was the Zoncolan opposite. The Giro is coming!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's a great unknown climb, catagorized as a cat 2, 5.8 miles averaging 5.9%, final mile averages 13%, 1810 ft elevation gain, maxes out at 29.5%.

401665_10150971206209418_116770873_n.jpg

Richeypen said:
Fingers crossed that there is a completely unknown climb somewhere in Qatar :D

Don't bet on it, if there was there would be a strava segment for it. The biggest climb in Qatar is probably the parking garages. ;)

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
For the ToC.
I think it is closed to vehicles now - but the Old Stage Road between Salinas and San Juan Batista. Would be a good "strada biancha" type road - not exactly a pretty surface. Only maybe 1K ft climbing, but a beautiful road absolutely beautiful.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Fester said:
My vote goes for Pico do Arieiro on Madeira Island: 1807m in 19.5km and breathtakingly scary as you pass some monumental cliffs.

Madeira is now on Streetview and I just checked out this climb. It is just total Insanity. First three kilometers from the seaside are between 15% and 23%! At all it's 19,3k @ 9,3%. Total crazy. And of course, there is pavé on this climb. :D

Madeira is filled with stuff like this. They should call it Ilha do Zomegnan. :p

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Serra da Leba, Angola

60462252.jpg

I discovered this in a facebook post by angolan rider Walter da Silva, who did the climb during training. I really don't know, if they also use it in races. Serra da Leba is the main climb on the 180 kilometer drive from the port city to Namibe up to Lubango.

The climb looks like there has been a road engraved into a stranded sperm whale. Unfortunately there is no profile for this and Google Maps really has a problem with this road. :(

TRENDING THREADS