• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greatest cyclist of all time?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the greatest cyclist of all time?

• Other (Specify Please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hugo Koblet said:
As Echoes mentions, Coppi was the better cyclist of him and Bartali and he had a bigger influence on cycling. He was lightyears ahead of his times in regards to training, diet and mechanics.

His impact on the Italian society in the immidiate postwar era was - as in the case with Bartali - also great. Especially his victory in the 1946 Milano-Sanremo had a huge symbolic significance for the Italian people.

When he was later adopted by the Communists and promoted as a Communist hero, his impact on the society didn't decline. On the contrary, as the historian Simon Martin has argued,

"as important as Bartali’s immortalisation by the press was, it was the demonisation of his supposedly Communist rival Fausto Coppi that had arguably the greatest impact"

Additionally, his affair with la "dame bianca" and the subsequent trial even led to changes to the Italian civil Law.

Thanks.

I stand by my view its very difficult to incorporate off bike behavior in ranking cyclists, not because of the things we know, but rather the things we don't know about.

In any case both of these individuals appear to have played an important role in society.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I particularly like Indurain because he was prepared to guts it out as a super domestique on the climbs then kick every bodies **** in the ITT's.
Then carried on winning GT's in his own right, so something else that guy.

Kelly is another rider but Merckx is clearly the #1