• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hatcher said:
more childish than being angry because you can't know something right now?

What's the rush? HTC still exist, and he won't be racing for his new team for at least 4 months.

It's just pointless to keep it a secret. The one September rule was pretty stupid as well. I stand by my point: HTC was made by the devil to make cycling boring.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The Jane Aubrey article revealed all...not!

Anyway some key points from the Q & A:

GreenEdge is the brand. We want a major sponsor to come in and partner us in joint-naming

"GreenEDGE-Scott" etc

JA: Is it a priority for that Australian branding to carry through to the naming rights sponsor?

Ryan: No. In fact we're taking to a couple of international companies.

QED for the QANTAS fan club. :rolleyes:

I've also looked at the Melbourne Storm in terms of the culture, their winning culture

He had to catch himself there. :D

Ryan: Richie already had prior commitments elsewhere.

So Porte wasn't the missed out on rider, wonder who was.

Full Q&A here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/q-and-a-greenedge-financier-gerry-ryan

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Would some one like to guestimate what it would cost to fund GreenEdge for a season. I'm not talking about player salaries only, I mean the whole shebang.

And what is the difference between bankrolling and underwritting the team.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
briztoon said:
Would some one like to guestimate what it would cost to fund GreenEdge for a season. I'm not talking about player salaries only, I mean the whole shebang.

20mil AUD a year. I think he means they are the company that own the team as opposed to the sponsor. Like Highroad was the company that owned the HTC sponsered team, Greenedge as a company will own the team and hope to find a sponsor. Thats how I see it anyway

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
woodie said:
20mil AUD a year. I think he means they are the company that own the team as opposed to the sponsor. Like Highroad was the company that owned the HTC sponsered team, Greenedge as a company will own the team and hope to find a sponsor. Thats how I see it anyway

Hmmmmm. I'm not trying to be a knocker here, but does it concern anyone else that a guy who's net (business or personal wealth?) worth is "only" AUD$180 million is bankrolling the team. That's a lot of sponsorship money to find and fund a sport that barely scratches the Australian sporting consciousness.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
briztoon said:
Hmmmmm. I'm not trying to be a knocker here, but does it concern anyone else that a guy who's net (business or personal wealth?) worth is "only" AUD$180 million is bankrolling the team. That's a lot of sponsorship money to find and fund a sport that barely scratches the Australian sporting consciousness.

Look at Big Gerry history of sponsorship 1st, he understands what he is getting himself into.

As apposed to Becca in Lux Gerry will see this through imo

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
the_kman said:
Still rekon they needed at least a good GC rider. Needed Porte or something...

Why?

Are there other Aussie riders that could have supported Porte during the major Tours, or would we just have had another Cadel where a good rider is stuck on a team that can not support him on the road and he's left to look after himself.

briztoon said:

I've no idea what the difference between bankrolling and underwriting is but the way I interpreted Gerry Ryans comments in the interview is that he has guaranteed that the team will be financed but ultimately that the money will come from a sponsor though in case they don't get a sponsor on board in time he will put up the money.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
briztoon said:

That's Gerry's own wealth as a businessman. The projects he has been involved in over the years have been very successful and worth a lot themselves. He is a smart businessman. He has invested in cycling over many years and knows what he is doing. His business at jayco started out as something quite small and now it is a very big company. The walking with Dinosaurs project he was behind was another project that was very successful and something I went to see myself. Many people talked about how good it was inculding myself.

Gerry is in it in the long haul. Having the professional cycling team is just a culmination of many years of foundations put down.

briztoon said:
Why?

Are there other Aussie riders that could have supported Porte during the major Tours, or would we just have had another Cadel where a good rider is stuck on a team that can not support him on the road and he's left to look after himself.

Well, what would be desireable would be some riders that could have any shot at riding well in for example the Ardennes, Pais Vasco (which doesn't have many easy sprintstages), Clasica San Sebastian, Giro di Lombardia, GP Montreal or even Criterium du Dauphine. Even in Romandie and Tour de Suisse they would only have a limited amount of stages they could target and on all other stages they would get dropped on the first little hill.

All of these are races they would be forced to ride if they were WT and right now they have something like 3 riders that can handle parts of that terrain with Gerrans and Albasini as the main ones. To have a comfortable team in these races through the season it would be good if they had at least 4-5 more riders that can handle a little bit of climbing.

We haven't seen their entire roster yet so there is still a chance that they can have someone else but right now it doesn't look promising. Right now they look more like the antithesis of Euskaltel.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, what would be desireable would be some riders that could have any shot at riding well in for example the Ardennes, Pais Vasco (which doesn't have many easy sprintstages), Clasica San Sebastian, Giro di Lombardia, GP Montreal or even Criterium du Dauphine. Even in Romandie and Tour de Suisse they would only have a limited amount of stages they could target and on all other stages they would get dropped on the first little hill.

All of these are races they would be forced to ride if they were WT and right now they have something like 3 riders that can handle parts of that terrain with Gerrans and Albasini as the main ones. To have a comfortable team in these races through the season it would be good if they had at least 4-5 more riders that can handle a little bit of climbing.

We haven't seen their entire roster yet so there is still a chance that they can have someone else but right now it doesn't look promising. Right now they look more like the antithesis of Euskaltel.

I thought Teklehaymanot was supposed to be the type of rider that could do well in hilly races. It would be a big step up to expect him to doing anything next year but in a year or two perhaps.
As far as climbing goes it appears to be Weening and ...... Weening and did I say Weening.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
That's his personal wealth, the amount 'sitting in his bank account'.

All the cycling events that Jayco sponsor come from Jayco's bank account, not his etc. Perhaps 'GreenEDGE' as the parent company will receive it's money from a mix of personal/business in the event of no sponsor.

The bloke behind Walking with Dinosaurs, not Ryan but the bloke that created I think - he's Australia's richest entertainer. randomfactoftheday

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
This is going to be long and convoluted.

Ok, I'm new to "following" cycling though I've watched the Tour de France on SBS for at least 11 or 12 years. I usually finish work around the time covereage starts on TV so always watched it while winding down at home.

My learning curve about the sport is rather steep. Apart from the TDF and the Olympics I never new anything about the other Tours or Classics, or that they even existed. Heck, I only first heard about the Giro a couple of years ago, and that was while watching the TDF.

If GreenEdge hadn't been mentioned during this years TDF coverage I wouldn't be on here right now. And mutch of my sporting interest in cycling is also because I have taken up riding to get fit and lose some weight since I quit smoking. (side question, why doesn't Avanti sponsor any major teams? Yeah I bought a new 2010 model entry level Avanti road bike as it was damn cheap compared to even 2011 stock and I can't justify to myself spending 1.5k - 2k on a bike yet)

So what are GE's aim at the Australian level? Anyone who has expereince with Australian sporting culture will understand that the average person on the street will have little interest after the answer to thier first question is "No, Cadel is not on the team", and the sporting public will have even less interest if (and when) the team blows in next years TDF.

Apart from League and Aussie Rules fanatics, Aussies don't follow losing teams, and the (small) majorities opinion on this forum seems to be that GE will, well not struggle, but not set the (cycling) world on fire. Unless you're in the same camp as ingsve, in which case GE will most definately blow.

Will SBS expand thier cycling coverage next season? For the sport to grow in Australia, and the GE brand to gain exposure, it really does need extensive local coverage. Personally I'd love to watch any GE teams at any events next year.

How will the Olympics impact on the GE squad next year? Will losing riders to the Olympic program negatively effect the teams ability to secure enough WT/PT (still learning all this stuff) points for the 2013 season and licensing. Will GE's commitment to the Aussie Olympic riders possiby increase our chances at Gold Medals in London next year? If so, is there a conflict of interest here? It has been mentioned already that the Olympics are bigger here in Australia than the Pro Tour, atleast where the average man on the street is concerned.

What are the real expectations for the team as it's currently constructed next year? What one day Classics, one week Tours, etc, does GE have a legit
shot at next season.

OK, can some one explain to me what a Neo-Pro is?

briztoon

BANNED
Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
I thought Teklehaymanot was supposed to be the type of rider that could do well in hilly races. It would be a big step up to expect him to doing anything next year but in a year or two perhaps.
As far as climbing goes it appears to be Weening and ...... Weening and did I say Weening.

What about the Japanese rider GE may or may not have signed. Is he any good at hills?

I wonder if Teklehaymanot and the "maybe" Japanese guy have been signed more with a view to a commercial possibilities rather than on performance ability itself. GE have been pretty open about the GE brand, and I can see similarities to Manchester United when they signed thier first Asian player, and courting the Asian market for both sponsorship dollars and fan dollars.

Will we see a set of new "kits" being released each year to maximise commercial activities?

And yes, I'm one of those "football" fans, so I may on occoasion use the term we when refering to GE and/or Australia and the usuage may not be mutually exclusive either at times. :D :p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
briztoon said:
What about the Japanese rider GE may or may not have signed. Is he any good at hills?

I wonder if Teklehaymanot and the "maybe" Japanese guy have been signed more with a view to a commercial possibilities rather than on performance ability itself. GE have been pretty open about the GE brand, and I can see similarities to Manchester United when they signed thier first Asian player, and courting the Asian market for both sponsorship dollars and fan dollars.

Will we see a set of new "kits" being released each year to maximise commercial activities?

And yes, I'm one of those "football" fans, so I may on occoasion use the term we when refering to GE and/or Australia and the usuage may not be mutually exclusive either at times. :D :p

I wouldn't expect much.

Dan. Teklehaymanot is pretty good i think, adaption to this level will be difficult I suppose. Hope he does well.

As for weening, well if that is the best you have on offer... :eek:

LukeSchmid said:

Well, it's next year that is the problem right now. Teklehaimanot won't be a force in the hilly races right away in his first year in the WT and whether he can develop in a year or two is irrelevant since they would have the chance to recruit more riders for 2013 anyway unless they plan on sticking with the idea of only having sprinter and ITT rouler types in the future as well.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
briztoon said:
What are the real expectations for the team as it's currently constructed next year? What one day Classics, one week Tours, etc, does GE have a legit
shot at next season.

OK, can some one explain to me what a Neo-Pro is?

The team is based around sprinting and classics and perhaps flatter stage races where you don't have to be a climber to win them.
They must be targetting the Tour Down Under and with this years winner in the team Cameron Meyer and others should be a very good chance at winning that.
Goss will be looking at winning Milan-San Remo again.
Langeveld finished 5th in the Tour of Flanders so will surely be targetting that but might also be able to pick up a win in the other cobbled races. O'Grady and probably Cooke will be looking to do well in cobbled races especially Paris Roubaix but I think a win is beyond them.
Goss will be the chance of success in GT in sprint stages and will probably pick up some sprint wins throughout the season. Leigh Howard I think can get some descent results but will be focusing on the track for the Olympics I guess.
They have a number of TTers so will probably go near to winning a TT somewhere and perhaps a TTT somewhere.
Weening will probably try and go for GC in smaller stage races and stage hunting in GTs.
Gerrans won the Tour of Denmark so will probably target that again and he can do well in Ardennes and stage hunt in GTs.
Albasini has won a number of smaller stage races so will probably be leader in some of them as well as stage hunting in GTs.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site

Off the top of my head, Avanti sponsor PureBlackRacing which is a team out of New Zealand that has WorldTour hopes by 2015.

Neo Pro is the first Professional year of a riders career at the highest level. Teams are mandated to have 2 on their roster (I think?)

LukeSchmid said:
The team is based around sprinting and classics and perhaps flatter stage races where you don't have to be a climber to win them.
They must be targetting the Tour Down Under and with this years winner in the team Cameron Meyer and others should be a very good chance at winning that.
Goss will be looking at winning Milan-San Remo again.
Langeveld finished 5th in the Tour of Flanders so will surely be targetting that but might also be able to pick up a win in the other cobbled races. O'Grady and probably Cooke will be looking to do well in cobbled races especially Paris Roubaix but I think a win is beyond them.
Goss will be the chance of success in GT in sprint stages and will probably pick up some sprint wins throughout the season. Leigh Howard I think can get some descent results but will be focusing on the track for the Olympics I guess.
They have a number of TTers so will probably go near to winning a TT somewhere and perhaps a TTT somewhere.
Weening will probably try and go for GC in smaller stage races and stage hunting in GTs.
Gerrans won the Tour of Denmark so will probably target that again and he can do well in Ardennes and stage hunt in GTs.
Albasini has won a number of smaller stage races so will probably be leader in some of them as well as stage hunting in GTs.

I would add Eneco Tour as a race they could do well in as well as Vattenfall and probably Plouay. Maybe even Tirreno-Adriatico which sometimes has an easy course with a longish ITT though in recent years it has been much harder than some other years.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, it's next year that is the problem right now. Teklehaimanot won't be a force in the hilly races right away in his first year in the WT and whether he can develop in a year or two is irrelevant since they would have the chance to recruit more riders for 2013 anyway unless they plan on sticking with the idea of only having sprinter and ITT rouler types in the future as well.

I don't expect Teklehaimanot to do well next year but would not rule him out as showing something very good.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
ingsve said:

I think the plan will be as some of the older riders retire younger climbers will replace them , Australia have 4-5 decent ( not superstars but can climb or have the potential )young climbers plus an international here and there.

That what I think is the plan for year 2-5 of the team

just some guy said:
I think the plan will be as some of the older riders retire younger climbers will replace them , Australia have 4-5 decent ( not superstars but can climb or have the potential )young climbers plus an international here and there.

That what I think is the plan for year 2-5 of the team

Well, it can't happen soon enough. There is nothing worse than getting another Euskaltel that are forced to ride races they don't have the riders for while other teams with good riders are left on the side line.

TRENDING THREADS