Greg Lemond for president of UCI

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
0
0
Avoriaz said:
Please not Greg LeMond.

He may have been right about Armstrong, but the guy is a right old whinger. Anyone gets close to his VO2 max and he'll drum them out of the sport for good...
this indeed
 
**** Pound sounds good with a board of advisers : Ashenden, Lemond, Bassons, Kimmage, Walsh, Hinault, Patrice Clerc

That would make the cheaters think twice, you're caught, Bernie goes after you and your family.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
0
0
there's also other stuff than just doping, the uci is needed for :rolleyes:

so yeah that list would be utter horse****
 
Oct 12, 2012
169
0
0
webvan said:
**** Pound sounds good with a board of advisers : Ashenden, Lemond, Bassons, Kimmage, Walsh, Hinault, Patrice Clerc

That would make the cheaters think twice, you're caught, Bernie goes after you and your family.
Or you find yourself on the receiving end of an almighty Hinault-Tackle.
 
May 12, 2011
241
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
Sure it will never happen.
Not until they expand the front door to let his head and ego fit into the building. Lemond is many things, the solution to cyclings ills is not one of them.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
0
0
Avoriaz said:
Please not Greg LeMond.

He may have been right about Armstrong, but the guy is a right old whinger. ..
I like Greg. I admire Greg. But, you are right. Lemond would not be a good manager, I think.

Ok - but I have ANOTHER point. Pat and Hein are only the front men. They are put in that position by the the UCI board. It is the board that truly represents the problem and the high level omerta.
 
Sylvia Shenk is the most qualified person, and the best to take over from McQuaid.

Agree that Ashenden, Clerc, Kimmage, Bassons, Hinault, JV would be good on a board of directors. I would also like to see Anne Gripper return to such a role. Pound would be good for interim, but he's too blunt. LeMond would be good as a temporary board member as well, but better on an advisory committee. Ross Tucker or Jonathan Dugas (Science of Sport) would be good advisers as well.

I don't see LeMond or Bassons having interest beyond being an adviser though.
 
May 27, 2012
6,458
0
0
Avoriaz said:
Please not Greg LeMond.

He may have been right about Armstrong, but the guy is a right old whinger. Anyone gets close to his VO2 max and he'll drum them out of the sport for good...
Ryo Hazuki said:
this indeed
Produce the proof or STFU.
 
May 27, 2012
6,458
0
0
Aleajactaest said:
Not until they expand the front door to let his head and ego fit into the building. Lemond is many things, the solution to cyclings ills is not one of them.
Yea, because using Pat and Hein as examples, they've NEVER picked people with big egos to run the place before...:rolleyes:

As I said, Lemond has his drawbacks, but as a figurehead, he has his plus side too. I never said he'd be the solution to cycling's ills...
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,225
0
0
Avoriaz said:
Please not Greg LeMond.

He may have been right about Armstrong, but the guy is a right old whinger. Anyone gets close to his VO2 max and he'll drum them out of the sport for good...
This 'jealous bitter' nonsense doesn't really exist. Anyone who's actually had any interaction with LeMond knows this, but millions of Armstrong's PR dollars have obviously been effective on you.

As far as LeMond as UCI pres, I think that Sylvia Schenk is not only a more realistic choice, but a much better one. Ultimately, the UCI needs not only a leader, but someone with the skill set to change the basic structure of the organization so that it's not dependent on the personality of a tiny cabal. Given her background, she's a lot more equipped to understand and enact the structural changes that need to happen.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
Avoriaz said:
Please not Greg LeMond.

He may have been right about Armstrong, but the guy is a right old whinger. Anyone gets close to his VO2 max and he'll drum them out of the sport for good...
What the **** my little polo pony. Greg does not care if someone gets close or better than his VO2 max.

Please don't post things at random.
 
Aug 9, 2012
2,223
0
0
131313 said:
This 'jealous bitter' nonsense doesn't really exist. Anyone who's actually had any interaction with LeMond knows this, but millions of Armstrong's PR dollars have obviously been effective on you.

As far as LeMond as UCI pres, I think that Sylvia Schenk is not only a more realistic choice, but a much better one. Ultimately, the UCI needs not only a leader, but someone with the skill set to change the basic structure of the organization so that it's not dependent on the personality of a tiny cabal. Given her background, she's a lot more equipped to understand and enact the structural changes that need to happen.
I agree. She seems to have the right credentials. If the UCI can get her, I see no better choice.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Sylvia Shenk is the most qualified person, and the best to take over from McQuaid.

Agree that Ashenden, Clerc, Kimmage, Bassons, Hinault, JV would be good on a board of directors. I would also like to see Anne Gripper return to such a role. Pound would be good for interim, but he's too blunt. LeMond would be good as a temporary board member as well, but better on an advisory committee. Ross Tucker or Jonathan Dugas (Science of Sport) would be good advisers as well.

I don't see LeMond or Bassons having interest beyond being an adviser though.
Science of Sport guys would be terrible. They don't even think Contador was doping. They'd be beyond useless and have no gauge of what constitutes doping. Lemond has a very good idea. Measure comparatively to what he, Hinault and Fignon could do.

Shenk is a good idea though. Anne Gripper needs to take over the running of ASADA. They are useless. She's running Triathlon Australia. I could see her taking over cycling Australia BTW.
 
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
0
0
Me.
I like eating well and nice hotels.

Dear Wiggo said:
get the system right first. then plug in the players.
This.

A system needs to be in place that is transparent and accountable, then it matters little who is in charge.

But that type of logic appears to be some time away, so in the spirit of the thread- Vroomen is another person that impresses me. He is passionate about the sport and would understand what gets bums on bikes.
As for LeMond, spend 5 minutes in his company and you would find that he is deeply passionate and knowledgable on the sport. Getting him to stop talking (about everything) would be the only difficulty.
 
131313 said:
This 'jealous bitter' nonsense doesn't really exist. Anyone who's actually had any interaction with LeMond knows this, but millions of Armstrong's PR dollars have obviously been effective on you.
Nope.

Just always been my opinion of him since I first saw him race in 1984. Always found him a bit whiny.

Agree with Sylvia Schenk though
 
May 11, 2009
1,301
0
0
I suggest Bernard Hinault - he has demonstrated his continued interest in cycling by working with the TdF organization.
 
Dec 9, 2011
482
0
0
Dear Wiggo said:
get the system right first. then plug in the players.
I agree.

Hypothetical situation here - just say Pat/Hein are put under so much pressure that they are removed or have to step down.

What is the process involved from the point of their removal?

Its fine talking about an eventual new leader but:

Obviously the system needs analysed and plans put together as how to move forward - who does that? and who chooses who does that?

Bit of a vacuum there.

Will need a fair bit of input from people already involved in procycling IMO.

Slightly dangerous situation arises then that you put the future of cycling in the hands of people who don't have its best interests at heart. Again!
 
avanti said:
I suggest Bernard Hinault - he has demonstrated his continued interest in cycling by working with the TdF organization.

He will have HR violation suits piling up against him after he beats the hell out of the convicted dopers:D, so it would be quite difficult for him.

Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
Bob Stapleton
OFC not.
Stapleton will declare that only flat stages can be ridden clean and decrees that anybody who wins a mountain stage or a hilltop finish is a doper.
 
Aug 7, 2010
1,247
0
0
avanti said:
I suggest Bernard Hinault - he has demonstrated his continued interest in cycling by working with the TdF organization.
He could handle the sport side, not so much the business side regarding broadcast, federation-relations etc.

Maybe a tag team of Hinault / Schenk / Stapleton

Fairly complete.
 
Dec 9, 2011
482
0
0
Hinault?!?! Good god. He's as old school as it gets! Were talking about moving cycling forward here!

**** it - in that case whats Manolo Saiz up to these days?
 
Aug 7, 2010
1,247
0
0
AcademyCC said:
Hinault?!?! Good god. He's as old school as it gets! Were talking about moving cycling forward here!

**** it - in that case whats Manolo Saiz up to these days?
Old school but well respected as far as ASO, Giro, Vuelta etc. And has no time for overpaid underperforming riders. Andy, Franck?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY