• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Van Avermaet

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I believe his focus is on de Ronde more than ever and that he's really looking for that one super day. Though even on the level he's shown so far, a bit below last year, he can still win since there's nobody who I see is clearly a level above the rest.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Bardamu said:
I assumed you didn't mean his debut.
You don't need to crash out to crash - he abandoned in 16, while he obviously didn't in 17. But despite not being severe, it still robbed him from contesting the win which obviously was what I meant.
what?? tell me where is the evidence that GVA could have caught gilbert without that crash with sagan?

portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bardamu said:
You don't need to crash out to crash - he abandoned in 16, while he obviously didn't in 17. But despite not being severe, it still robbed him from contesting the win which obviously was what I meant.
what?? tell me where is the evidence that GVA could have caught gilbert without that crash with sagan?

He still came in 2nd at 29 seconds so it isn't outlandish at all to think they'd have caught Gilbert if they hadn't crashed.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

frisenfruitig said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bardamu said:

He still came in 2nd at 29 seconds so it isn't outlandish at all to think they'd have caught Gilbert if they hadn't crashed.
gilbert was softpedalling in the last 300 m and he was still able to get out of the bike. GVA lost less than 10 seconds in that crash. they wouldn't have caught gilbert at all.

portugal11 said:
frisenfruitig said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bardamu said:

gilbert was softpedalling in the last 300 m and he was still able to get out of the bike. GVA lost less than 10 seconds in that crash. they wouldn't have caught gilbert at all.

He still lost a good chunk of time in the final 10k. Not saying they would have caught him for sure but it's at least debatable. They definitely could have come close. 10 seconds doesn't seem realistic to me tbh, it takes a while to get up again and your rythm is completely gone, definitely takes a while to get back on track (especially uphill) and it costs extra energy as well. "Less than 10 seconds" seems very conservative.

Valv.Piti said:
Bardamu said:
In that case I misunderstood. But he had enough luck in all the other spring races last year, so I don't consider his short delay as bad luck. It happens.

frisenfruitig said:
portugal11 said:

He still lost a good chunk of time in the final 10k. Not saying they would have caught him for sure but it's at least debatable. They definitely could have come close. 10 seconds doesn't seem realistic to me tbh, it takes a while to get up again and your rythm is completely gone, definitely takes a while to get back on track (especially uphill) and it costs extra energy as well. "Less than 10 seconds" seems very conservative.

Well it was hardly still uphill where they crashed. Debatable, sure, but far from a certainty.

Anyway, kind of agreeing with Valv.Piti that Greg will still be one of the guys to beat, even though his shape is not the one of last year. But unlike last year I haven't seen Phil do anything amazing either yet, or Sagan, ... my bet is on Vanmarcke (and Vincenzo of course :D).

Re:

Flamin said:
Quite the training ride today, truly great to watch. It looked as if he had planned some big alternate interval sessions with Tiesj. He's definitely ready for Ronde-Roubaix. His team is a bit of a concern though.

Yes, his teammates were not there in the finale, while guys like Drucker should be there to help him. With a team like Quickstep, Greg could win races like these I think.

Re:

Flamin said:
Quite the training ride today, truly great to watch. It looked as if he had planned some big alternate interval sessions with Tiesj. He's definitely ready for Ronde-Roubaix. His team is a bit of a concern though.
Roelandts and Kung were with him the finale of E3.

I do agree their teamwork is a concern;)

Breh said:
Flamin said:
Roelandts and Kung were with him the finale of E3.

I do agree their teamwork is a concern;)

They have been decent but it remains to be seen if anyone can do what Oss did for Greg in Roubaix last year. Meanwhile Quick Step definitely hasn't got worse without Boonen.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bahrain-Merida has been in talk with Greg. They want to build a strong classic squad in the future. They are also interested in Dylan Teuns and Wout Van Aert.