• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Van Avermaet

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, no fractures. But more than likely torn ligaments in his shoulder. Contrary to what DS Piva says, that's probably end of season for Greg.

Really disappointed with this. He was coming into shape just fine for the classics and always plays his part in those races. He's not getting any younger either, so lost chances hit harder.

They should fine A.S.O. for not taking more safety precautions. Unbelievable after all the drama happening recently that such an invisible obstacle isn't signaled.

• Sad
Reactions: Koronin and sir fly
Update: aside from the torn ligaments they're talking about fractured ribs and vertebrae.

Sigh.

So, no fractures. But more than likely torn ligaments in his shoulder. Contrary to what DS Piva says, that's probably end of season for Greg.

Really disappointed with this. He was coming into shape just fine for the classics and always plays his part in those races. He's not getting any younger either, so lost chances hit harder.

They should fine A.S.O. for not taking more safety precautions. Unbelievable after all the drama happening recently that such an invisible obstacle isn't signaled.

• Wow
Reactions: Koronin
He went training a lot on Flanders' roads these days, even got a fast Strava time on the Oude Kwaremont today, but he will have to pass for the Ronde in the end. His legs are more than fine, but he still has too much pain to compete for the win, and prefers to recover for 2021. It's a choice of the mind however, not the heart.

I'll miss him. He would've had a shot as always. Hopefully he will be back with Ag2r to battle for the race of his dreams.

EkT4ENpXkAAgSSk

• Sad
Reactions: richwallone
So, about below discussion from a few days ago in the Benelux Tour Thread. Greg got the results of his tests, and as feared, it's an immune system response to the Covid-vaccin. I really hope there's a miracle recovery coming up soon, but maybe we just have to cross fingers that he can get back to normal next season. Would be horrible to see an allround, always competitive rider to fade away like this.

Google Translated from Het Nieuwsblad (original article):
In June, Greg Van Avermaet (36) was eager for his Pfizer vaccine. Today he thinks differently. A blood test revealed that his immune system is fighting an unknown adversary. “The vaccine. I'm going to see some doctors in the next few days and take their advice. If that stops racing this season, then so be it.”

Greg Van Avermaet's lesser period has been going on since the Tour. The leader of AG2R-Citroën was vaccinated with Pfizer during that period and underwent a blood test in function of that vaccine. “I got my results on Monday night and that's not really good. That is to say: nothing can be seen from the blood values. Perfect, as always, which is also my great strength, but other data proves that there is something wrong with my immune system. My body is fighting an unknown adversary and that is probably the vaccine.”

And say that Van Avermaet really wanted the vaccine to go to the Tour and the Tokyo Games without any worries. “I was really excited for it, but apparently it does cause a few problems. That is to say: I sleep well, train well and feel good, but I am missing three percent of my top form. In normal mode I ride in the top twenty in this time trial.”

So now 84 places less. It must be frustrating for the rider who hopped from one place of honor to another victory until two years ago. “The good news is that I know what is going on now, but on the other hand, little research has been done into the effect of the vaccine on a sports body. I'm going to see some doctors in the next few days and take their advice. If that stops racing this season, then so be it.”

It's not going that fast yet. Van Avermaet wants to wait for the difficult stages of this Benelux Tour, from Friday to Sunday. “The next three stages are not too bad, hopefully there will be a déclic, but if things go really bad and I start to make fun of myself in the race, I say stop – even if Roubaix is still ahead and to a lesser extent the World Cup, because for that I have to get selected first.”

Because the national coach makes his selection on Sunday evening, that chance is almost nil. “The World Cup makes no sense in this way. There are a lot of Belgian riders at the moment much better than me and that's why they deserve that World Cup selection more than I do."

Hope Greg can show a bit of his old form. Even his legs from this year's spring would be more than good enough.

Since he got vaccinated, he can't go all the way in competition anymore. It's the first time ever in his carreer that his base level is far below the usual. Very upsetting with a World Championships in his home country coming up. Even more so when you realize he got selected for every single WC since turning pro.

He did a blood investigation and will have the results any day now, Apparently, he wouldn't be the first athlete to suffer from getting the Covid-vaccin. Such a shame.
When did he get vaccinated? Effects a long time after would be scary, not heard of those, but of course not impossible.
I hope so to. But we might have to consider, at 35 years old, it might be that his best days are behind him. Not everyone can be as young in hart as bala...
Sure, but in the spring he was good to very decent in E3, Waregem and of course the Ronde (3rd). And he's known for always being on a certain level, never like the Tour de Limousin last month. Of course his very best days are behind him, but this isn't a normal decline for a rider like him.

I spoke to him a few days ago, and he is sincerely worried.

Just before the Tour de France, where he also was kind of below expectations.
It wouldn't surprise me. This is anecdoctal evidence but I've taken my vaccine (single dose Janssen) a month and a half ago and for a while I got a bit scared because my heart rate would go higher and stronger than usual (I even got 190 bpm on a aerobic run which is weird, since at that pace I usually stay around 178). The same riding my bike, my heart monitor showed values a little bit higher than usual (nothing much, around 5bpm higher than the normal for the same rhythm) but the beats seemed much deeper and stronger, which made me abort several rides or drop the pace (I'm a bit hypochondriac too I must say).

Now for the past 2 weeks is a bit better, but I wouldn't discard it happening to some of the athletes.
Hopefully the effects will disappear soon and he (GVA) will get back to his normal self.

It might be vaccine. It might be some other infection/disease. Not much data to draw conclusions. The vaccination was 3 months ago. Never read anything about adverse effect occurring so late after jab. Unless he had them short after and it's long lasting. But still those are extremely rare. I feel he might be jumping to conclusion here a bit. I hope it will be thoroughly investigated.

So, about below discussion from a few days ago in the Benelux Tour Thread. Greg got the results of his tests, and as feared, it's an immune system response to the Covid-vaccin. I really hope there's a miracle recovery coming up soon, but maybe we just have to cross fingers that he can get back to normal next season. Would be horrible to see an allround, always competitive rider to fade away like this.

Google Translated from Het Nieuwsblad (original article):
In June, Greg Van Avermaet (36) was eager for his Pfizer vaccine. Today he thinks differently. A blood test revealed that his immune system is fighting an unknown adversary. “The vaccine. I'm going to see some doctors in the next few days and take their advice. If that stops racing this season, then so be it.”

Greg Van Avermaet's lesser period has been going on since the Tour. The leader of AG2R-Citroën was vaccinated with Pfizer during that period and underwent a blood test in function of that vaccine. “I got my results on Monday night and that's not really good. That is to say: nothing can be seen from the blood values. Perfect, as always, which is also my great strength, but other data proves that there is something wrong with my immune system. My body is fighting an unknown adversary and that is probably the vaccine.”

And say that Van Avermaet really wanted the vaccine to go to the Tour and the Tokyo Games without any worries. “I was really excited for it, but apparently it does cause a few problems. That is to say: I sleep well, train well and feel good, but I am missing three percent of my top form. In normal mode I ride in the top twenty in this time trial.”

So now 84 places less. It must be frustrating for the rider who hopped from one place of honor to another victory until two years ago. “The good news is that I know what is going on now, but on the other hand, little research has been done into the effect of the vaccine on a sports body. I'm going to see some doctors in the next few days and take their advice. If that stops racing this season, then so be it.”

It's not going that fast yet. Van Avermaet wants to wait for the difficult stages of this Benelux Tour, from Friday to Sunday. “The next three stages are not too bad, hopefully there will be a déclic, but if things go really bad and I start to make fun of myself in the race, I say stop – even if Roubaix is still ahead and to a lesser extent the World Cup, because for that I have to get selected first.”

Because the national coach makes his selection on Sunday evening, that chance is almost nil. “The World Cup makes no sense in this way. There are a lot of Belgian riders at the moment much better than me and that's why they deserve that World Cup selection more than I do."

I know there's a thread in the café for corona, but - I don't really understand what the article is saying. How do they know it's the vaccine? So his values are good and there are no hints whatsoever what's responsible, it's just that he got worse exactly from the time of the vaccination on?

There's very little data, so it's difficult to know anything, yet. I'm interested in reading about any studies that take place. After both of my vaccines, I was left feeling lethargic for a few days; after the second one especially, and my legs felt like jelly....So I stayed off the bike for about a week.

There's very little data, so it's difficult to know anything, yet. I'm interested in reading about any studies that take place. After both of my vaccines, I was left feeling lethargic for a few days; after the second one especially, and my legs felt like jelly....So I stayed off the bike for about a week.

I was told not to seriously exhaust myself for two days afterwards, pretty much like after every vaccination, but my son was told to take it very! easy for a week!, no sport at all, not even running for a bus or riding fast on a bike on a school-way. (Not to avoid long term effects but the heart muscle inflammation). I was wondering whether that was the general recommendation for young men/ teenagers or whether that particular doctor was very careful.
Anyway, how did the vaccinated athletes like van Avermaet handle it? Did they get off the bike for a week each time/ ride very leisurely or just train almost regularly?

Reactions: Arked and SHAD0W93

"It's a bit too crazy for words to have to keep protecting me against something that didn't make me sick."

Hard to argue with that.

He sounds optimistic that he will return to his former level after a horrible second part of 2021. I think that's one of the most intriguing things to follow (for me) this week, to see if he can be competitive in Bessèges.

"It's a bit too crazy for words to have to keep protecting me against something that didn't make me sick."

Hard to argue with that.

He sounds optimistic that he will return to his former level after a horrible second part of 2021. I think that's one of the most intriguing things to follow (for me) this week, to see if he can be competitive in Bessèges.
GVA joins a few other pros in claiming getting vaccinated hurt his performance. No evidence, just vibes. "The vaccine gave me a leg problem!". Sure man, whatever you say.

GVA joins a few other pros in claiming getting vaccinated hurt his performance. No evidence, just vibes. "The vaccine gave me a leg problem!". Sure man, whatever you say.
What evidence would you like them to provide? Cycling is tough, it doesn't take much to throw someone off. I've seen people have reactions from nothing (me) to sick in bed for a couple of days (my wife). Not exactly a stretch to say that someone might have their athletic performance affected by a minor or moderate bout of flu-like symptoms.

It's not like he's some anti-science wingnut. He's vaccinated. He just doesn't want to get the jab right now because he's had 2 jabs and caught COVID. He's as safe to be around and as protected as anyone with the booster right now. Entirely reasonable. Non story, and I can see why he's irritated at the attention. Because a lot of it is irrational.

What evidence would you like them to provide? Cycling is tough, it doesn't take much to throw someone off. I've seen people have reactions from nothing (me) to sick in bed for a couple of days (my wife). Not exactly a stretch to say that someone might have their athletic performance affected by a minor or moderate bout of flu-like symptoms.

It's not like he's some anti-science wingnut. He's vaccinated. He just doesn't want to get the jab right now because he's had 2 jabs and caught COVID. He's as safe to be around and as protected as anyone with the booster right now. Entirely reasonable. Non story, and I can see why he's irritated at the attention. Because a lot of it is irrational.
It's a huge reach to go from talking about the usual immune responses to vaccination to concluding the vaccine ruined your season like GVA and Fuglsang have. Last September GVA made some comment about his immune system behaving strangely and blamed the vaccine because why not, what else could explain a 36 year old's drop in performance?

If these guys got vaccinated right before a race that could really throw them off, but that would also be a very stupid thing to do. Not that highly successful pros are noted for being overly selective when it comes to "boosting" their training.

It's a huge reach to go from talking about the usual immune responses to vaccination to concluding the vaccine ruined your season like GVA and Fuglsang have. Last September GVA made some comment about his immune system behaving strangely and blamed the vaccine because why not, what else could explain a 36 year old's drop in performance?

If these guys got vaccinated right before a race that could really throw them off, but that would also be a very stupid thing to do. Not that highly successful pros are noted for being overly selective when it comes to "boosting" their training.
I'd be willing to bet a LOT of money that there's far more nuance in GVA's assessment of his season than the snippets we get in the cycling press. Maybe the second shot knocked him out for 2 weeks later in the season and he thinks that's a big part of where he started dropping form. I'm sure he's smart enough to realize that his age is also a factor. No reason to demand evidence for his theory, there are a million reasons/excuses cyclists have used over the years to try and explain mysterious lack of form. Everyone gets so wound up around the topic of COVID.

I think with GVA, best to assume good intentions and fair level of intelligence. He seems a relatively smart, reasonable, likable dude.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Wvv
All I know is when I had Covid, I couldn’t be up out of bed for more than 2 -4 hours for a month without being physically and mentally exhausted and that is just doing small things while with the vaccine it was like the influenza. If anyone has it, I think that will take a lot out of you and concur with Netserk and haven’t actually heard of that term before.

TRENDING THREADS