• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guardian: WADA study shows cycling still the worst

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Darn. I was thinking it was getting better. Maybe the overall decline is reason for optimism. But why don't the passport, bans and scandals translate into an improvement relative to other sports?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/jul/04/olympics-2012-athletics?newsfeed=true

Of the 26 sports included in the 2012 Games, the worst offender in terms of the rate of findings per sample (averaged across all eight years) is cycling, 3.71%.

Footballers were the most tested athletes in terms of the total number of samples (30,398), followed by athletics (25,013), cycling (21427) and aquatics (13138).

Let's hope the "averaged over 8 years" hides a more recent improvement.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it does show a better decline than other sports. Finally figured out how to read the graph. (If you click on a sport, each individual sports graph line shows up. Cycling does appear to have a pretty good drop in positives, better than the others.) Be still my beating heart.

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
mtb Dad said:
Maybe it does show a better decline than other sports. Finally figured out how to read the graph. (If you click on a sport, each individual sports graph line shows up. Cycling does appear to have a pretty good drop in positives, better than the others.) Be still my beating heart.
Weight lifting, number 1 dirty sport.
However table tennis and archery has a bigger drug problem than either athletics, swimming, rowing, and canoeing. Makes me skeptical.

mtb Dad said:
Darn. I was thinking it was getting better. Maybe the overall decline is reason for optimism. But why don't the passport, bans and scandals translate into an improvement relative to other sports?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/jul/04/olympics-2012-athletics?newsfeed=true

Of the 26 sports included in the 2012 Games, the worst offender in terms of the rate of findings per sample (averaged across all eight years) is cycling, 3.71%.

Let's hope the "averaged over 8 years" hides a more recent improvement.

I thought Fat Pat told us long ago that doping in cycling was a less than 1% problem?

Dave.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The number of positive tests says very little about the level of doping use. To be honest, I find a very low % of positive tests to be more worrying than a large percentage.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
There are so many variables:

Who was tested? professionals, top amateurs, registered recreational athletes...

If there was a significant weighting towards more affluent football players...for instance...then their doping anti detection service is probably more effective at avoiding detection.

Trying to assess just what the data means is fraught with difficulty, potholes and probable erroneous conclusions.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lousy numbers and interpretation. It's the paradox of anti doping: If you're looking for it, you'll find it. The only corroboration is there isn't much testing in Football...

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I think there are several reasons to regard this a hopeful, rather than pessimistic.
1. The period covered does go back 8 years.
2. The cycling positives show a significant decline.
3. The sports that are probably highest in terms of drug abuse are not Olympic sports - American football, bodybuilding, "Professional wrestling" (in quotes since WWE is not wrestling, but entertainment), MMA. Note that judo increased, boxing was also high, weightlifting was high and didn't change much. These are sports where competitors can gain advantage from drug use. I don't think an equestrian or a diver would gain much from drug use.
4. Where is track and field in there? Athletics? That might mask something.

Nah, I don't see anything to worry over much here.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Footballers were the most tested... 30,000 as opposed to 21,000 for cycling.

All's well and good, but how many footballers in the world as compared to cyclists?

For the record, the graph in the article shows a downward trend in cycling.

More testing in Athletics too, was surprised it had lower % than cycling. Was also a bit surprised that it was only recently that cycling was pushed to #2 from #1 (by weightlifting).

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Footballers were the most tested... 30,000 as opposed to 21,000 for cycling.

All's well and good, but how many footballers in the world as compared to cyclists?

For the record, the graph in the article shows a downward trend in cycling.

"FIFPro is the worldwide representative organization for all professional players; more than 50,000 footballers in total."

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
"Rate of findings per sample". When other sports are not even looking for EPO or HGH, that's all you need to read.

Not true. Other sports do look for EPO (eg. biathlon, athletics) and the vast majority look for HGH.

It is also irrelevant. If they aren't looking for a drug that is only because it is not know to be a benefit. They don't look for beta blockers in cyclists, for example, yet certainly do in a shooting event like archery.

I think the numbers are a sound indication of trends in cheating, and comparisons of cheating between different sports, and once you get past the first line about cycling be the worst over the 8 year period, you can see that cycling has one of the sharpest declines. The title of this thread could have easily been "WADA study shows cycling one of the best".