• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guess Who - Game

Page 996 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Name contains a 'Van'? No (but it does contain a 'car')
Simon Carr? No
Carlos Barbero? no
Carlos Barredo? No
Specifically the word "car"? No
A word, that's the name of a car brand? No
A word that means 'car' in a language other than English? Not as far as I know.
Active ? No
Riding for a world team in 2022 ? No

Active after 1/1 2000? Yes
Male? No
Working with a WT in 2022? No

Simon Carr? No
Carlos Barbero? no
Carlos Barredo? No
Active ? No
Male? No

Does she have any role in cycling currently? Not as far as I know, I see no evidence of her in team management or major media outlets. Maybe she is involved in coaching or something promotional: how would one know?
European? No

Simon Carr? No
Carlos Barbero? no
Carlos Barredo? No
Active ? No
Male? No
Does she have any role in cycling currently? No
European? No

Active after 1/1 2011? Yes
North American? No

Simon Carr? No
Carlos Barbero? no
Carlos Barredo? No
Active ? No
Male? No
European? No
North American? No

Aussie? No
Active after 1/1 2020? No

Simon Carr? No
Carlos Barbero? no
Carlos Barredo? No
Active ? No
Male? No
European? No
North American? No
Aussie? No
Active after 1/1 2020? No

Kiwi? No
Ever participated in the Elite Road Race World Championships? Yes
South American? Yes
Asian? No
Younger than 40? No
Carla Swart? No

Hmmm, I keep circling back to Flavia Oliveira, but she raced in 2020. She fits everything else, though. I can't bruteforce anybody else without delving further I think. One of the Fernandes Silvas might fit if I could find a way to get the car clue to fit them.

She only rode amateur races in 2020 (and I don't know how many race days she had because of the doping violation she encountered), so that could be why AC didn't acknowledge her activeness (if it is her).

I have considered picking her myself recently, and I was also thinking this could be her, but I was thrown off because Cardoso wasn't mentioned as being one of her names on the pages I initially visited.

I wasn't aware of Flavia Oliveira racing in 2000 (not on First Cycling or PCS), so there was no intention to give a misleading answer. Where would one be aware of that?

And if we include amateur races, then do we ever know that somone still alive is not "active". Almost any ex pro can be found to have ridden in some club ride or sportive if one were to look hard enough.

She might, or might not, have been named after the Lancia Flavia of the 1960s
fp2-s21.jpg

And if we include amateur races, then do we ever know that somone still alive is not "active". Almost any ex pro can be found to have ridden in some club ride or sportive if one were to look hard enough.

I could maybe see an argument for para-atletes being considered active, even though - I guess - they technically ride in amateur races.

---

Is this it? Has "The Day" finally arrived?

I could maybe see an argument for para-atletes being considered active, even though - I guess - they technically ride in amateur races.
When we had the Ghanaian World Championship competitor recently, there were comments that I should have answered 'Yes' to 'Active?', with no need for an asterisk. But amateur activity is not normally recorded in most sources, and when we consider the answer to "Active before 19nn?" we do not think about balance bike races or U14s.

I don't want to over-legislate on something that is just a bit of fun, but can I suggest that active years are those of elite racing (such as might be found on PCS or similar), unless of course we are talking about someone who never did that but is a journalist or something.

Is this it? Has "The Day" finally arrived?
???

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS