• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guys to watch in the Ardennes Classics

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see Gilbert get a couple, but gotta admit, his form isn't looking that great at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't do well.
Sagan will be a big contender for AGR I think, if he can hang with Gilbert (or whoever it is that breaks away on the cauberg) then he has a good shot of taking it. And he would most definitely deserve to take it after the classics season he's had.

I also think Dan Martin, Purito, Quintana, the colombians, Valverde, Gerrans, Voeckler, and Nibali could all do well. Vanendert also perhaps (if he wasn't hurt too bad from his crash at Pais vasco) might get a couple top 10's.
Of the above Nibbles, Gerrans, and Dan Martin especially I think could do very well.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Kiryienka of Sky could do well in LBL. I hope he has a free role, and doesn´t get wasted to set tempo or to try it in a mid race breakaway.

He has the endurance for this lenghth of race, and can handle the climbs, as he showed already in his two Giro stages he won.

Thomas Dekker will be super motivated for Amstel, but I can´t imagine he´ll do Top10 or even better.

Afrank said:
I would like to see Gilbert get a couple, but gotta admit, his form isn't looking that great at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't do well.
Sagan will be a big contender for AGR I think, if he can hang with Gilbert (or whoever it is that breaks away on the cauberg) then he has a good shot of taking it. And he would most definitely deserve to take it after the classics season he's had.

I also think Dan Martin, Purito, Quintana, the colombians, Valverde, Gerrans, Voeckler, and Nibali could all do well. Vanendert also perhaps (if he wasn't hurt too bad from his crash at Pais vasco) might get a couple top 10's.
Of the above Nibbles, Gerrans, and Dan Martin especially I think could do very well.

Having doubts about Gilbert again. Rodriguez and Gerrans are looking good. Sagan, Gasparotto and and Iglinsky usually perform well of recent times.

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys think of Betancur in these races?
He's only 23 and has never done anything like this. I mean, he never did a race of more then 240 k. (except for Lombardia, 24th)
Or is he more a guy for a stage victory in the Giro?

AGR
If there isnt a signifcant, clear breakaway on the cauberg but a few contenders hanging on to eachother, then Sagan could be there and take it.

Gilbert does not look good enough. Before the worlds RR he showed top shape in the vuelta preparation a few weeks before the RR, pretty similar to his 2011 showing (okay debatable, but his vuelta 12 performance was atleast a very solid perfomance). This time around,, he looks heavy and awkward on the bike.. Needs a miracle fine-tuning to reach his old topform which is needed with such a wide open field of strong contenders.

Quintana impresses, not only punching away from the other GC aces (contador, valverde, purito) but also taking time on porte on the flat in the TT. Question is, is cauberg hard enough for him?

Hard to call. Valverde, Purito, Quintana, Sagan, Gerrans, the astanas, Nibali.

FW
Quintana will punch away from the rest with Rodriguez a close 2nd and Gerrans 3rd.

LBL
Many contenders. Gonna go with one of the Skys(!!). With the strength of their roster, they will make many riders suffer on the way to Liege. Perhaps will they also have several cards to play as the race reaches endgame.

42x16ss said:
Wiggins? No way. Porte, Froome or Henao, that's another story.
Remember: no Roche aux Faucons this year. Wiggins is a guy who could complete a TT for the win like Nibali failed to do last year.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anyway, interested to see how Mollema will do. Top 10 in all 3 last years and was looking very good this year until he got sick prior to Pais Vasco. I hope that missing PV didn't hurt him too much
Stupidly enough, his team isn't riding the Brabantse Pijl this year. He could have used that. Now he'll have to use the Amstel as training for Fleche and especially Liege, where I think he could still be good.

theyoungest said:
Remember: no Roche aux Faucons this year. Wiggins is a guy who could complete a TT for the win like Nibali failed to do last year.

Stupidly enough, his team isn't riding the Brabantse Pijl this year. He could have used that. Now he'll have to use the Amstel as training for Fleche and especially Liege, where I think he could still be good.

Damn, I wasn't aware that they had changed the course for this year. I tried to find it on the race website, but no luck. Can anyone please provide a link to this years course for LBL?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
ASO is really slow in revealing profiles for their one day races. I'm not sure the route has even been finalized at this point.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
AGR: Hard to see past Sagan for this with the new finish. Challengers: Gerrans, Gasparotto, Porte, Gilbert, Valverde, Albasini; Outside bets: Quintana, Iglinsky, Betancur, Moser (in case something happens with Sagan), I. Izagirre, J. Vanendert (if recovered)

F-W: Quintana FTW. Challengers: Anton, Henao, Gilbert, Betancur, Purito, Gilbert, Gerrans; Outside bets: Gasparotto, Uran, Vanendert

L-B-L: Hard to predict, especially this "easier" course. Lets say Samuel Sanchez to win it Oo. Challengers and outsiders: Basically everyone i listed above and some guys like Nibali, Froome and Contador